Author Topic: Only £5500 NEW  (Read 2809 times)

Offline adespin

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Only £5500 NEW
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2019, 08:47:00 PM »
I like the fact that it's designed and developed in the UK. AND it's got a Harris designed frame.
1971 cb750 K1

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2019, 09:02:14 PM »
Now...to me 47Hp is not enough.

Last bike I had with that power was a Yam MT03, which I thought would be an excellent town bike...but turned out to be the most hateful thing I have owned for years. It had gears that were poorly spaced and a first gear so low, you couldn't use it for anything other than pulling away. That and Italian electrics on a Japanese bike and a battery hidden under the petrol tank. Yup...the regulator and rectifier packed up, it boiled 2 batteries, teh rear light wiring was a joke and I had to re-wire it. The seat mount split....and....well...you get the idea. That and the idiots who put the rear light connectors under the mudguard, and made it so the rear bulb could only be changed from the front...and not by taking the lense off. It blew rear bulbs every few months.

It taught me that a test ride is essential, and not just a quick ride. An objective, real life journey.

47Hp can be enough in town if the bike has balance, well matched gear ratios/torque, and good 30-60mph performance. This thing is no road burner, but could be a pleasant cheap commuter if it is built well. I also learnt that detail touches are REALLY important when you have to live with a bike.

My Hornet..for example. The battery is easy to get to. The oil filter and drain plug are easy to get to. The underseat layout is excellent and the recesses have a drain hole. All the plugs and electrical bits are laid out clearly and sit in designated places. It's just ....right.

I would want to see under the skin of this Enfieldand see whether they designed it in detail, or styled it and then tried to shove all the bits in where there was a gap. The Bullet looked like that.
CB750F2 - in pieces
CB900F Hornet - the daily transport

Offline adespin

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2019, 09:16:33 PM »
The 60's Triumph Bonneville made do with 46 bhp and was considered the ultimate roadburner of the era untill the multicylinders came along in 68/69
1971 cb750 K1

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2019, 10:15:39 PM »
Not far off the cb500/4 or bmw r80, horsepower wise. Both more than capable of exceeding the talent of more than a few riders with their moderate power output. I agree that the main thing on any bike is the details of what it is like to live with every day. I developed a pet hate over not having a centre stand within a month or 2 of owning a ca125 rebel. Spot on machine in every other respect but I like to be able to lift the rear wheel off the floor to adjust the chain, or change a tyre easily. A well designed bike will sit with either wheel removed quite happily on its centre stand. It's a fairly basic thing in my books, just makes life easy, especially if you consider how often a rear tyre needs changing. I wound up hanging the rebel off a chain hoist in my workshop every week to do the chain tension. It's one reason I love the cb500/4 so much, almost everything is easy to do on it, only bit that annoys me to work on is the carbs and throttle cables, and they are not that bad. Some bikes are just right. Honda are good at that. I have an ntv650. It's a bike I cannot fault. Everythings just nicely laid out, good quality. Be interesting to see how this Enfield holds up. I personally feel that oil cooler would cause me and it to fall out. Winter commuting. Maybe now I am at a stage where a bike is fun rather than my sole transport that matters less. I would expect it to be torquey.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2019, 06:18:08 PM »
Centrestand lover here too. First thing I did on my Hornet 900 was fit a centrestand. It's an option part, so the mounts were there. That and a front mudguard extender to keep the crud off the radiator. The detail is the key.

They got that very wrong on the early Indian Bullets....but they have had time to get more used to the European market...so who knows.
CB750F2 - in pieces
CB900F Hornet - the daily transport

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2019, 07:00:53 PM »
The 60's Triumph Bonneville made do with 46 bhp and was considered the ultimate roadburner of the era untill the multicylinders came along in 68/69

Don't forget though the bonnie was only 165kg not over 200kg that's a big difference between them and that's over 50 years ago. What have they made it of ? Pig iron.!

Offline Rob62

• SOHC Pro
  • ZZR1100D9, CB750K4, RD250F, NSR250MC21, RD350YPVS
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2019, 08:47:16 PM »
Those huuuge exhausts probably account for a fair bit  :o

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2019, 10:40:33 PM »

Don't forget though the bonnie was only 165kg not over 200kg that's a big difference between them and that's over 50 years ago. What have they made it of ? Pig iron.!

What we all forget is the emissions and noise laws that apply to modern bikes that effects weight via crankcase thickness, cooling jackets, exhaust size and construction, etc. Also, the modern rider wants smooth engines and that means balance mechanisms, etc and that adds weight. British twins rattled things to pieces!
Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2019, 12:24:05 AM »

What we all forget is the emissions and noise laws that apply to modern bikes that effects weight via crankcase thickness, cooling jackets, exhaust size and construction, etc. Also, the modern rider wants smooth engines and that means balance mechanisms, etc and that adds weight. British twins rattled things to pieces!

I don't forget that at all and you are talking nearly 40kg a massive amount .Its heavy because it's built cheap.
Lightness comes at a price. As for rattling things to pieces  are Enfield's  known for their smoothness. Or is it just this is super smooth for a Enfield . I guess only time will tell on that one.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2019, 08:53:04 AM »
I rather suspect that part of the extra weight is modern tyres. Rubber is heavy and everyone goes wider than the 60s and 70s bikes. Add the emissions stuff adding s few kg here and there. Its either build with modern alloys etc, or just accept, its appeal is as classic buyer who's after the look but wants new, probably wont spend top dollar. I reacon it looks on paper a reasonable compromise.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline adespin

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2019, 10:00:52 AM »
The Missenden Flyer has just made a  British review on the bike. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-rpySNs6m4
1971 cb750 K1

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2019, 12:29:57 PM »
That was a good real world review. A shame he couldn't find an open stretch of road to give it the beans. I like the colour and the overall view of the machine. It looks well finished.
Personally I would fit a louder exhaust though, it sounds mutted like all modern bikes.
It certainly appears better VFM then a Taiwan built but British badged Triumph even if the Trumpet is 20bhp more (and 250cc bigger). £5500 would get a nice classic Honda though! 🙄
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline adespin

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2019, 01:43:31 PM »
Sorry that i keep harping on about this bike but i do like it, it might be a different story if i rode one, anyhow here is another new brit review, he's a bit of a motomouth but entertaining. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug9LPowFUeI.
1971 cb750 K1

Offline MarkCR750

• Professional half wit and member
  • SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2019, 07:46:53 PM »
My bosses husband (Simon Warburton, ex Triumph) has had a lot to do with that bike, design wise, he’s spent most of the last 2 years commuting between the UK facility & India, I had a look at one at Smalley Cross last week, it’s actually very nice, much better proportioned than the Bonneville, apart from the silencers which are too big, but smaller louder ones will soon be an option, it was mechanically very quiet on tickover, it is great for someone wanting modern ease of use with retro looks, I’ll test ride it soon but probably won’t buy as it’s just not powerful enough for me, nice though, at 5.5k it’s good value until you factor in bikes such as the Suzuki SV650, admittedly that’s a different kind of beast so I guess you have to say it’s good value for a Brit look retro .
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 08:12:21 PM by MarkCR750 »
Suzuki GT250A (Nostalgia)
1977 K7 CR750 (lookalike, what of I’m not sure)
Ducati 900SS (Soul & Speed)
Ducati M900 Monster (Handling & character)
Thruxton 1200 (suits me)
James Captain 197 (pure adrenaline, i.e. no brakes!)
"Eff yir gitten awvestear yir gooin te farst"
Sir J.Stewart.

Offline davefirestorm

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2019, 06:15:21 PM »
I have looked at them at shows and they look to be well built and good value.I owned a nearly New 500 Bullet few years ago and it was crudely built but what I expected as it was so cheap,I did the usual mods available from Hitchcocks and it made it a more pleasant bike I’m sure Hitchcocks and the like will sell aftermarket exhausts etc. for it once they’re established.A cheap alternative for an expensive Triumph and the majority of owners will be 55 + year olds looking for something modern to ride along side their old clunkers,I know two such people that have ordered one.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 09:59:27 PM by davefirestorm »
Honda CB650Z
Honda F6C Valkyrie

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal