Author Topic: Old wires !!!  (Read 1727 times)

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Old wires !!!
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2019, 10:38:05 AM »
Yes Matt, ignition block connector. The other 4 wires in the block were fine so I'm not sure why this happened to the red wire. But, that's old bikes and original wiring for you I suppose.

Yup!

Offline Clem2112

• Midlife
  • SOHC Expert
  • CB400F1 1976 R1200GS 2016 Matchless G80 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2019, 11:34:27 AM »
More current in that wire?,  gets warmer than the others.
40 years of use,  so 4x original planned life,  not bad.
Looming issues.

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2019, 12:03:54 PM »
40 years of use,  so 4x original planned life,  not bad.
Looming issues.
I think you are probably right. The red wire is slightly heavier duty than the others in the block. I think it's done well really.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Online taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2019, 01:03:11 PM »
Old wires are not my favourite things.  This was the state of my wires from the points!
Dodgy  old repairs don't help.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2019, 01:15:03 PM »

Doesn't whatever current that comes through the red wire go through the black wire (except for the "park" position)?  And the red is heavier than the black, huh?  Interesting!

I think you are probably right. The red wire is slightly heavier duty than the others in the block. I think it's done well really.

You should see the trouble they went through on the US bikes (combined front turn signal and "position light" indicators) to make it so when a turn signal is being used, the front position light filament in that indicator goes out...

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2019, 01:28:41 PM »
I think its electolitic corrosion and fed by current flow or some kind of flux residue if it was soldered. Either way its almost always the re or white /red tracer wires that suffer. So much do that it's the first place I look on my 500/4s. Also had troubles on newer Hondas in the same areas. Ignition switch, red wire or the connections by the regulator rectifier. Only time it really provides a significant difficulty is the wires into the rectifier or reg rec on more modern bikes. I deem it sensible to carry a stock of spare electrical connectors in the workshops inventory, then its just a 10 minute job to fix, rather than wait for parts to arrive, or try soldering old wire to old reclaimed connectors. That and a supply of heat shrink tube. Very handy. Oh, and if I buy a bike, job 1, but out any of those blue or red pre insulated terminals bodgers love to use. They seem to attract corrosion.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2019, 06:06:59 PM »
It's electrolytic corrosion, with the big red wire being made of different flavour copper than the others.  As they're crimped, flux isn't to blame.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline Sprocket

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2019, 12:42:16 PM »
Oh, and if I buy a bike, job 1, but out any of those blue or red pre insulated terminals bodgers love to use. They seem to attract corrosion.
All connectors are not (edit!) the same. I have seen various quality red bullet crimp connectors, the ones I have used (not bodged, thankyou!) are better than some but I'm damned if I can remember where I got them. Perhaps RS? The ones you get in blister packs from Halfrauds are questionable, as the insulator seems to deform completely when you crimp and then not return to it's original shape.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 03:35:04 PM by Sprocket »

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2019, 12:47:54 PM »
The ones i use look cheap and nast but the insulation is heat shrink to make a better seal.
If you get technical the corrosion depends on flow of current.

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2019, 01:35:13 PM »
Worry not, i will replace it with the same quality connectors we use on all our bikes. Never short of replacements or spares for anything here at the House of Honda 😀😀😀
I am going to replace the grey insulating tape that Honda put over the 'junctions' in the loom with heat shrink though, before fitting the new loom cover. May as well whilst I'm there., it was falling off anyway.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 01:37:48 PM by Nurse Julie »
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2019, 02:33:44 PM »
Not a great photo but I found this when I stripped my F1 down, it was on the starter solenoid circuit if I remember correctly, I was amazed as I had never had any electrical problems at all with the bike luckily there were no other nasties. Just to make sure I went right through the harness cleaning up all the connectors and smearing them with dielectrical grease.

Cheers

Dennis
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2019, 03:06:01 PM »
Wow, Dennis, that is bad!  All the electric fluid has leaked right out!

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2019, 03:13:52 PM »
At least the rare smoke stayed in!!

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2019, 08:13:07 PM »
You can still get replacement smoke.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2019, 11:45:17 PM »
Oh, and if I buy a bike, job 1, but out any of those blue or red pre insulated terminals bodgers love to use. They seem to attract corrosion.
All connectors are not (edit!) the same. I have seen various quality red bullet crimp connectors, the ones I have used (not bodged, thankyou!) are better than some but I'm damned if I can remember where I got them. Perhaps RS? The ones you get in blister packs from Halfrauds are questionable, as the insulator seems to deform completely when you crimp and then not return to it's original shape.
Accepted, there are good ones that are red or blue, but you know the generic halfords et al cheap blister pack items, I even have some - I think it's that the insulation on the cheap ones plus the crimp tools that come with them give a poor crimp, creating high resistance and that causes further issues. I must admit, they can be handy as a quick fix. But they do tend to get removed and replaced with the more expensive vwp jap connectors etc as appropriate once a bike goes into the workshop for serious fettling. The cheap crimp tools can deliver good results, used carefully. I think the main factor on the dreadful bullet connectors on reflection is they are often supplied as a one size fits all pack, designed for quite thick cables, its then quite hard to get them to tighten adequately, given they only have room for a single crimp, onto the copper, not a great deal of support from the insulation.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal