Author Topic: Cheng Shin Tyres  (Read 1961 times)

Offline sye

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Cheng Shin Tyres
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2019, 11:55:53 AM »
Cheng Shin and Maxxis used to be utterly crap years ago. Squirming when dry and sliding all over the place when wet. That was when BT57's were great and Metzeler ME33's and 99's ruled the bias belted world. Things have changed and they have moved on, Saab's and Fiats don't rust while you wait and engines don't throw a rod at 20k.

The problem is that we have long memories and don't forgive. Give them a go and make your own mind up.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2019, 12:14:02 PM »
Its sutch a variable subject, same tyre on different vehicle can behave very differently. I think the tyres grip in the wet probably is the only factor that likely to stay constant. Pirrelli city deamon in my experience won't grip in frosty conditions for toffee. Worse still with the wider sizes on things like my old ca rebel 125. I wouldn't rule any brand out without trying one, on the bike first. Not a cheap exercise by any means, but I run part worn tyres a lot so do tend to try different brands a lot. Saves you a packet in the long run. On the ntv a maxxis tyre on the back was the best of about 6 I ran before getting laid off meant the bikes been laid up.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2019, 12:32:31 PM »
Funny you should say that, Mrs Hairy had Maxxis tyres on her 650 shitehawk,, sorry, Nighthawk, they were really good in all weathers. Looked up the manufacturers website, and they are made by Cheng Shin tyre company!

Sent from my X6pro using Tapatalk
I love a Maxxis tyre as well. My real hate is Pirelli City Demons, hard as nuts, feels like you are riding over nuts as well. My 400 was totally unrideable with them on.( New ones had been fitted to the bike by the PO when I bought it).
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Rob62

• SOHC Pro
  • ZZR1100D9, CB750K4, RD250F, NSR250MC21, RD350YPVS
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2019, 12:55:43 PM »
Maxxis = Cheng Shin, same company..

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2019, 02:21:29 PM »
Well I can vouch for maxxis as I had one on the rear of my ntv 650. Stuck like the proverbial to a blanket - like Nurse Julie I have deal with enough of that in my time, both as a care worker and a parent. They were not at all phased by riding like a nutter in rain or frost. Easily equal to or better than any other tyre I tried. Lated reasonably, though when I really gave it the beans and thrashed the bike you could tell by looking at the tyre that it had had a thrashing. Tread was visably down from a few short rides, but that was using the torque of that v twin and downshifting to step the arse end out on sharp bends then caning it through the box out the other end of the bend.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2019, 10:12:04 PM »
I too had a GS125 with its origanal Brigdestones they were crap in the dry and deadly in the wet. I changed them to TT100's a far superior tyre. I have never liked Bridgestones  I have tried them on countless cars and bikes they just don't like my riding style.
My go to tyre on the Guzzi is currently Michelin pilot 2ct un crashable in the dry crap in the wet but predictable. Only downside the rear only lasts 3000miles.
Pegaso has an Avon on the front and Dunlop to the rear totally predictable whatever the conditions. Conties for the Hondas look great plenty of feedback. Squirm a little when squared off.
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline Rob62

• SOHC Pro
  • ZZR1100D9, CB750K4, RD250F, NSR250MC21, RD350YPVS
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2019, 06:26:49 PM »
Actually When I say I like bridgestones, I mean the BT45’s on classic bikes.... not a big fan of Bridgestome battlax etc on bigger bikes.... i always preferred Dunlops on bigger bikes, seemed more stable to me, tipping in on battlax’s used to feel like falling off a chair..😄

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2019, 06:48:14 PM »
Falling of a chair about covers cornering with a battlax tyre on my ntv! Excellent description. The other horrid quality of that tyre was it felt like the bike had a hinge in the middle or shot swing arm bearings. Swapped the tyre over, bike felt totally refreshed.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal