Author Topic: Insurance for Learner Rider....  (Read 586 times)

Offline MCTID

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Insurance for Learner Rider....
« on: February 06, 2019, 05:44:37 PM »
Grandson is 17 this August so I have just started to look at suitable 125cc bikes.......not sure what he wants yet, so I'm looking at all the pros and cons to present to his Financial Director - his Mum - my Daughter.....who is actually a Financial Director....who takes no prisoners - so I'll have to get all my ducks in a row !

At the same time, I have to suss out which Insurance companies are likely to give the best value and service........not necessarily the cheapest......but Insurers who you good peeps have experience of and can recommend for Learner Bikers.

Any recommendations would be most appreciated, and a Donation to the Forum will of course be made.

Thanks in anticipation.
Alan.
Now: 2008 CB1300S, CB750K4, 1970 Bonneville. Various other 1960's 650 Triumph T120's/ TR6's/ TR6C's (all in bits...many, many bits unfortunately). Previous: 2007 CB600FA, 1976 CB500 Four. BMW F800ST. GS750E. ZZR1100. CB1300 (2). ZXR1200S. VFR800. CB750 Nighthawk. CX500. XS500 Yam. Suzuki GT500. BSA A10. Various Lambrettas. Zundapp Bella (honest).

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Insurance for Learner Rider....
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 06:38:10 PM »
One thing I learnt with insurance companies is don't go third party only.
I was hit head on in my first year of driving by a car on the wrong side of the road.
Luckily I was driving a Transit at the time but I can confirm Vauxhall  Zafiras are quit hard.
My insurance company at the time said as its your first year and your third party only you will never win.  :o
After that my insurance went sky high on bikes and cars for years afterwards.
I was paying £1800 on a van worth £800 and almost £1000 on my Pegaso at 18. That was a lot to find when on minimum wage.
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 07:12:43 PM »
My o/h used Bikesure when she was learning last year. Probably not the cheapest but they are specific to bikes so probably a bit more understanding in the event of a spill and they don't Flog car, house, pet, life and other insurance (and they sponsor BSB racing👍.
As for a suitable bike, I would go for a Honda CG125 (stop laughing 😂). Let's face it, he'll drop it and with no fairings damage will be minimal. Parts are cheap and easy to fit and there are so many to choose from. I know his street cred will suffer but it'll still keep up (just) with a YamSakihonuki moto3 lookalike! At least if he hates bikes you won't have lost a lot of money. Please don't buy him a scooter, my 17y/o nephew has one and he hangs out with the local yobs who use it and abuse it, it's wrecked now. They wouldn't do that with a CG😊
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 07:26:49 PM »
+1 for a CG or GS cheap as chips and both are bullet proof but no street cred.

Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 09:20:18 PM »
Gs 125 was an excellent learner bike for me when I had one. It's been quite a few years since I ditched my L plates, like 15 years, my first year or 2 I was with Lancaster. Then Bennett's- who I would up hating in a big way. Weasels who gave poor service, bad advice, I never had a claim with them, my wife did, she also hated them by the end of her policy. Really cannot slate them enough. After that I went to Lynbrookes and have always loved the customer focused on the ball service. Change bikes or add a bike, no whacking great charges, once added a 650 to the policy 3 months from the end of the policy, they apologised for the charge of £3.18 to extend coverto one extra bike for the 3 months - that allowed 3 named riders to ride that bike. Bennetts would have made me take out another policy. Go for a bike over 15 years old, then get classic insurance - it's a fair lump cheaper.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline flatfour

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2019, 09:03:39 AM »
When my daughter first started riding we bought her a Honda CBR125R (they had just been launched) and as a learner, she found Adrian Flux Insurance Brokers offered by far the best value. Some years later, I believe that she is still with them.

I checked the insurance position before we purchased the bike as she was already living away in Crawley, due to her work being in Central London. The bike was garaged and not used to commute.

Although a few years ago now, I was quite surprised that given her location and lack of experience cover was both available and not too expensive. She had already passed her car test at that time and had a couple of years of no claims there, however I don't remember that being a factor in the quote.

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2019, 06:20:00 PM »
CG125 is a solid choice for a first bike. Not likely to be the thieves first target, but still a proper bike. Reliable ( though build quality on the Brazilian built ones was never that good ) but dull. Something you can buy...use...and sell on when you pass your test with minimal depreciation.

I never understood why people spend a fortune on a race style fully faired 125...they go no faster. Even if you put a silly loud pipe on it.

I tend to swap myu insurance between Bennetts and Carole Nash....as insurance companies still offer discounts to new business, while shafting existing customers in far too many cases.
CB750F2 - in pieces
CB900F Hornet - the daily transport

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2019, 07:15:45 PM »
The race reps are only slower if there road legal  ;)
My 50 could easily do 65mph
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal