Author Topic: 1967 CB450K0 Black Bomber Rebuild - By Royhall  (Read 38395 times)

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
Re: 1967 CB450K0 Black Bomber Rebuild - By Royhall
« Reply #105 on: December 04, 2019, 11:48:16 AM »
I thought about machining the boss to bomber dimensions but that still leaves the bearing moved over. It would fit as long as the 500T spacers were used. Wouldn't have thought there would be any stress problems etc from the new bearing position as it worked well on the 5 speed. You would have to make a spacer the exact same thickness as the metal removed as the circlip slot that holds the sprocket on would then be out of position. All round easier to source a better hub and maybe have Trigger weld it.

Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 05, 2019, 03:06:01 PM »
Don't forget that the offer is still there for a free one with minimal cracking Roy. I agree that your original one should be scrapped.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 05, 2019, 09:48:37 PM »
Thanks Ash will see what Saturday brings first.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 08:37:58 AM by royhall »
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 24, 2019, 09:21:21 AM »
And verily on this Christmas morn did a wise man come from the East (Hull) bearing gifts for the new born Bomber. And royhall saw that it was good. All hail to the prophet Ashimoto and the heavily laden camel that is named UPS.
Charles royhall Dickens, Christmas 2019
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 11:06:09 AM by royhall »
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline MCTID

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 24, 2019, 01:20:33 PM »
Bah Humbug !
Now: 2008 CB1300S, CB750K4, 1970 Bonneville. Various other 1960's 650 Triumph T120's/ TR6's/ TR6C's (all in bits...many, many bits unfortunately). Previous: 2007 CB600FA, 1976 CB500 Four. BMW F800ST. GS750E. ZZR1100. CB1300 (2). ZXR1200S. VFR800. CB750 Nighthawk. CX500. XS500 Yam. Suzuki GT500. BSA A10. Various Lambrettas. Zundapp Bella (honest).

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 19, 2020, 10:48:26 AM »
Sorry it's been a while since I last updated this thread. Been busy with other garage projects and work. Lets see if I can get this back up to date.

As you may remember I had just finished the engine and got the bike into the garage for stripping. Although I had spent weeks spraying all the fasteners with PlusGas, I was surprised at how easily it came apart. I have long suspected that this bike was a loosely built collection of parts that don't really belong together and this carries on the idea.

The forks are looking like a bit of a challenge so thought I would start there. Although it's all a mess it appears that everything is there and correct.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Not much evidence that these forks have been apart in the last half century so am expecting fun and games. I have a two prong tool for removing the seal holders from the rebuild of the 350F so that should be okay. First job is to get rid on the rancid fork oil and strip the stanchions out of the yokes.

It all put up the usual fight but came apart okay. So just the simple task of dismantling the fork legs and have a look what lies inside. I'm not expecting the internals to be too bad as they have had oil in them all this time.

The fork legs are looking a bit gone so maybe a trip to Philpotts coming on there.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 19, 2020, 11:09:35 AM »
Still on the forks, just getting ready for the fork leg strip down. Everything so far looks present and correct although in desperate need of a little TLC.

Well, I think I spoke too soon. Just whip off the seal holders with the two prong tool, not a chance. I got them in the vice and gave it plenty and they won't budge. I tried loads of heat from the blowlamp and still they won't give up. Tried an extension bar on the tool and the tool gave up. Going to have to come up with something homemade to get these sods to shift. After an hour or two in the garage I have come up with a tool suggested by Ash.

If that doesn't shift the little blighters I really don't know what will.

I had to have a rethink on the screws in the tool. Although it was now located on all four of the attachment points the force required just bent the screws. So I made some better screws and decided to try a bit of a trick. I repeatedly heated the part with the blowlamp and quickly quenched it in water. I did that several times and Bingo off they came. Unfortunately during the wrestling match one seal holder ended up damaged.

The rest of the forks came apart easily with the internals all being in good condition and okay to re-use. Unfortunately I cant say the same for one of the stanchions. I'm not really sure how it managed to get that rusty, but it is way beyond saving.

Once again Ash came through with some replacement bits and kept the project on track. Thanks Ash.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 11:11:57 AM by royhall »
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 19, 2020, 11:39:34 AM »
Had a look at Philpotts for the hard chroming on the fork legs. Although it's not just a straight centerless grinding job as there are various diameters and angles on them, Philpotts seemed a bit pricey to me. I ended up going to a company in Sandbach Cheshire called Dynasurf who quoted me £145 plus P&P. That more like it. I don't know if Dynasurf have any affiliations with Philpotts as their website 'About Us' is exactly the same as Philpotts, probably just plagiarism (had to check the spelling for that). Anyway, I shall report back on the quality of the job when they return.

For now some shiny bits have returned. As a reminder the wheels looked like this. In the end every part of this entire wheel was scrap.

After a good look at the rims it was decided that the rust was in places so deep that they were scrap. Shame really as the rear rim was the correct DID item with the stamping on the inner of the rim. These have not been available for ages. The front rim is a pattern part that was also the wrong size, so that can go in the bin. After a fruitless search I decided to go with new K1 rims from CMS although these are DID they have the stamping on the side of the rim. Strangely the front and rear rims are the same size.

Although I decided to go with polished stainless spokes, I didn't really want the alloy polishing to a mirror finish as that was not how Honda sent them out in 1967. As a lover of bling that was a really difficult decision for me as instinct makes me polish everything to within an inch of it's life. But I was talked into leaving them a bit dull so I hope it turns out okay. The wheels went to Alan @ Southport Wheelbuilders and this is what came back.

I'm very pleased with the way they turned out. After a good clean the replacement rear hub actually doesn't look like it has any cracks, so job done. I decided to again go with the Avon Roadrider 2 tyres mainly due to having the same tyres on all my other classics and I have got to liking them. I fitted 90/90-18 on the front and 100/90-18 on the rear.

The front hub was the original that was on the bike. Except for the brake plates that front hub is the only part retained from both wheels, all the rest was scrap.

More soon I hope.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 11:42:53 AM by royhall »
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline SPR

• SOHC Pro
  • 1972 500/4 K1
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 19, 2020, 01:25:51 PM »
Those wheels look excellent !

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 19, 2020, 01:47:16 PM »
Looking good Roy .. the rear  hub seems to have turned out OK ... I reckon most Bombers out there will have some degree of cracking of that hub.

Funnily enough I have been rebuilding my Bomber forks (& CB72 ones) during the lockdown.

My whole bike was literally a ton of parts mixed up with CB250 and CB77 parts found in a garden in loads of plastic containers. Any chance you can do me a close up shot of the fork top bolts and the rubber parts of the forks .. I now know where the two chromed discs go, as I wasn't sure if  they were CB72 or Bomber !!! Pretty sure I have everything but it was an absolute jigsaw puzzle nightmare piecing everthing together.
The top bolts are lised as a CB72 part ---268--- in my parts book but I have seen ---283--- parts listed on eBay .. so not sure what the difference is .. so if you could let me have the top nut hex size that will be great. Also can you check if the handlebar holders are chromed or polished alloy please?

“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 19, 2020, 03:54:37 PM »
That's reassuring Oddjob, they should be back anytime so lets hope they are good.

Ash. Have taken a few photo's for you. The top bolts are 26mm AF, and the handlebar clamp stems are chromed steel.

Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 25, 2020, 10:50:18 AM »
Just been adding a further update to the thread and suffered what is a real problem with the forum software. I'm hoping somebody can give an answer to this problem. Just spent about 45 minutes adding 5 pictures and all the write up around it only to find when I posted it that it exceeded the 3000k limit. On using the back switch below the warning it wipes out all the work I just put in. This has happened a few times when I have been doing the Project threads and is extremely annoying as it means starting that piece all over again. Surely there is some way of going back to the posting screen without losing everything. Sorry no update today as I don't have the patience to do it again, will try tomorrow. Cheers.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 11:20:59 AM by royhall »
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline SPR

• SOHC Pro
  • 1972 500/4 K1
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 25, 2020, 11:01:41 AM »
Just been adding a further update to the thread and suffered what is a real problem with the forum software. I'm hoping somebody can give an answer to this problem. Just spent about 45 minutes adding 5 pictures and all the write up around it only to find when I posted it that it exceeded the 3000k limit. On using the back switch below the warning it wipes out all the work I just put in. This has happened a few times when I have been doing the Project threads and is extremely annoying as it means staring that piece all over again. Surely there is some way of going back to the posting screen without losing everything. Sorry no update today as I don't have the patience to do it again will try tomorrow. Cheers.

Not an answer as such but I've been burnt with this before on different forums so before I press any button to post I highlight all text and copy to clipboard - so if the worst happens I can just paste without having to type all the text in again

Simon

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 25, 2020, 11:21:18 AM »
Great progress Roy. I admire your ability to walk away and not to polish everything, something I need to learn!
I've also been bitten in the past with losing my posts. I do as  Simon suggested, if I'm posting a long thread I prepare it fist in a word document, spell check it and then cut and paste it. Long winded but it works.
Keep the progress reports coming, I'm currently stuck indoors with the virus (at least I'm not in hospital). I need a bit of decent reading material to keep me going!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 11:25:09 AM by Laverda Dave »
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 25, 2020, 12:33:17 PM »
Got to the bottom of the problem. My phone got set to a higher resolution than normal so when I shunk the pictures as I normally do they came out at a larger file size. So I have spent the last hour using the excellent AVS Image Converter (https://www.avs4you.com/avs-free-image-converter.aspx) to re-shrink every photo to a smaller size this time setting a maximum file size of 400k. Gives a good resolution for the forum but guarantees that I cannot exceed the limit with 5 photo's. One for Steve, I thought the file size maximum had been raised to 5000k? Will have another go at posting tomorrow. Cheers.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 04:10:53 PM by royhall »
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal