Author Topic: 1967 CB450K0 Black Bomber Rebuild - By Royhall  (Read 38335 times)

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
Re: 1967 CB450K0 Black Bomber Rebuild - By Royhall
« Reply #180 on: August 23, 2020, 10:35:14 AM »
Looking great Roy. The hard work is paying off. It's good to see the bike coming together in large parts
I'm still waiting for my chrome, it's six months now and I've given up hope of getting the bike on the road to enjoy the last of the summer.
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 23, 2020, 10:39:41 AM »
My chrome was over 4 months and the paintwork 7 months. Not like that on the telly.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 23, 2020, 12:17:50 PM »
Four to six months for chrome? Seven months for paint? Wow - are these guys that busy?  Or do they wait until they have a big enough pile of parts on hand to do a run?

Offline MCTID

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 23, 2020, 12:31:32 PM »
Coming on nicely Roy......a credit to your skills and attention to detail - like all your bikebuilding efforts.

Give me a shout as and when you need a hand to lift it off the crate.......happy to help.......I might even bring my GS750 along for the ride. LOL.
Now: 2008 CB1300S, CB750K4, 1970 Bonneville. Various other 1960's 650 Triumph T120's/ TR6's/ TR6C's (all in bits...many, many bits unfortunately). Previous: 2007 CB600FA, 1976 CB500 Four. BMW F800ST. GS750E. ZZR1100. CB1300 (2). ZXR1200S. VFR800. CB750 Nighthawk. CX500. XS500 Yam. Suzuki GT500. BSA A10. Various Lambrettas. Zundapp Bella (honest).

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 23, 2020, 03:09:53 PM »
Superb progress Roy.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 23, 2020, 04:49:05 PM »
Four to six months for chrome? Seven months for paint? Wow - are these guys that busy?  Or do they wait until they have a big enough pile of parts on hand to do a run?
I had to have a bit of a go at the painter to get my gear back at 7 months. He snapped at me that he was really busy pointing to all the car repairs that had come in during the last week. I pointed it out to him quite firmly that my stuff came in 6 months ago and why are these other customers more important than me. Then the excuse was since the lockdown he has been working on his own so it takes time. He means he was putting the big profit insurance jobs ahead of mine. I hope he stays busy as he wont be getting any more work off me. Plenty of other painters around, it's not like it was multi coloured candy or anything just plain black and plain silver. Had it been something a bit fussy it would have gone to Menno. At least when it was finally done he only charged me £200 by way of an apology so that bit was okay. The chromers on the other hand are always busy but do the jobs in the order they come in which is fair.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 04:55:22 PM by royhall »
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 06, 2020, 09:52:52 AM »
Just re-read the last post and I guess I must have been a bit upset with the painter, turned into quite a rant.  ;D

Fresh from the triumph with the pattern part front mudguard that was a really nice easy fit I decided to have a go at the seat. Both the seat and the new rubber hinge set are both pattern parts, the seat from Vietnam and the hinges from CMS (even has CMS moulded into the side). As this is now a double pattern part assembly, and some parts are from CMS that in my experience are never good, I'm not holding out for an easy fit.

How right I was, the seat fit is not even close. I decided to measure against the original bits to see what was wrong. I put bolts into all the screw holes in both seats to aid measuring. Took about 15 minutes to measure both and to double check and the seat from Vietnam was almost perfect. On the other hand no measuring was required with the seat hinges from CMS as the difference was visual, they are miles out. The front hinge was the worst part, I ended up drilling the holes bigger and shaving some rubber away with a scalpel. I also made packer plates for the right side bearers and the seat lock. After a mornings worth of messing around I have finally got the thing to fit in an acceptable manner. Good old CMS, never fail to disappoint.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

I wont be celebrating the seat fitting just yet as I still have to try it with the tank on. Hopefully it wont interfere or have a large gap? It's a shame I couldn't just re-use the original hinges, but they are so perished they would fall apart.

The purpose of fitting the seat now was to establish how much room I have for fitting the extra electrical items ie the later model voltage regulator and the control box for the electronic ignition which the instructions say to place under the seat. Turns out there is quite a good space beneath the seat so shouldn't be a problem. I then remembered that the air filter cross link was from a later model and the regulator is usually bolted to that. Fitted a treat with just two bolts so that's where it can now live. Bonus.

The Pamco electronic ignition was next. Although saying in the instructions to fit under the seat and being made for the CB450, there's not enough cable length on either the sensors or the control box. Bit of bad design going on there, almost as if they have never fitted it to an actual bike? After leaving it for a while and giving it some thought (these are the things that stop you sleeping at night) I decided I would make up a special 6 cable wiring harness for it, the ground and the power feed can connect over the back mudguard.

The tiny wires connected to the control box did not help matters as they were too small to crimp the connectors on reliably. To get around that I soldered on a small piece of larger cable and insulated with shrink wrap, and crimped the connectors onto that. Worked quite well as the cables wont need to flex once installed.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 10:27:53 AM by royhall »
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 06, 2020, 10:18:04 AM »
The control box I fixed to the frame cross member with double sided Mammoth tape (hope I never have to take it off), and ran the cables through the holes to the small space between the rear mudguard and the frame. It would have been a good idea to fit the mudguard first as I was a bit surprised just how small that space became.

As always I have run some extra ground cables that connect directly to the battery. In this case I used one of the fixing bolts on the rectifier as a common post. That firmly grounds the rectifier, regulator, electronic ignition, and back light and also better grounds the frame.

I always scare myself with the electrics as it's starting to look like a pan of multi coloured spaghetti under the frame. The double bullet connector is a live feed for the electronic ignition and the regulator that I ran from the live feed for the back brake switch. As you can see from the second photo, with the back mudguard fitted that space became fairly tight. Fortunately with the air filters removed access to the cables is fiddly but possible.

I wish I could have found a nice new starter solenoid as it looks a bit crabby, unfortunately they are as rare as. It does work perfectly though so that may get changed at a later date should the amazing happen and one shows up somewhere.

Whilst mentioning the grounds, I gave some thought to the heavy ground for the starter motor. I made up a new 6mm ground wire to the battery negative and connected it to the frame where the rear engine mount fits. This may be overkill and not what Honda did but to ensure the correct grounding of the engine I made a copper piece to fit between the frame and engine fitted behind the mounting plate. How often are breakdowns due to poor grounding, not on my bikes there not (paranoid bike builder warning).

« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 10:22:34 AM by royhall »
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 06, 2020, 11:38:19 AM »
I've just spent a good time reading this build - i'm impressed by Roy's ability to look beyond the horrific looking starting point to get where he has now.

I would have had some pretty sleepless night with sphincter contractions at various parts of the reveal - just an amazing rebuild - respect. 8) 8)
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 06, 2020, 11:45:06 AM »
Making good progress Roy ...you must be a proud man  ;)

What I did with my perished seat hinges was to bead blast them clean and then, with the old rubber still on them,  I injected all of the cracked /damaged bits with some flexible polyurethane potting compound I had left over from sealing some electronic sensors on a hydraulically raisable pool floor I have just been working on. When that cured, I dressed it with scalpel and then 're-encapusulalted' the rubber parts with the same PU and using sticky tape/Blu-tak Blue Peter style to contain it whilst it cured up. They look acceptable and so that's what I am using rather than buying pattern parts.

The attached pic is them in their 'as treated' state ..they need a bit of trimming and fettling before fitting but that's a long way off anyway. This set looked absolutely grotty before treatment ..one of the metal tubes had totally detached itself from the rubber part.

Still trying to find those 4 pesky rubber seals, unique to the K0, which fit under the crank,  for my engine.

My bike was just bins of parts when I got it and the only wiring reference is as below but I could ask on BB FB group for you if you get stuck.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 04:49:28 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 13, 2020, 10:17:45 AM »
Those repaired seat hinges look interesting, what do you think the chances are of them staying together long term? You may get a request Ash to do my old ones just in case the rubbishy new ones don't work, mine are also falling to bits with parts coming off. Also, it's surprising how much information is contained in that little drawing of the cable runs, very helpful thanks.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 13, 2020, 11:25:59 AM »
Those repaired seat hinges look interesting, what do you think the chances are of them staying together long term? You may get a request Ash to do my old ones just in case the rubbishy new ones don't work, mine are also falling to bits with parts coming off. Also, it's surprising how much information is contained in that little drawing of the cable runs, very helpful thanks.

Not sure Roy .. really need to mount my seat onto my  frame and try out but the PU is top notch stuff and is used in applications with permanent immersion in water. It all depends on the stength of the bonding though.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 14, 2020, 01:07:47 PM »
All looking very nice, Roy. I assume that the seat from Vietnam is the same firm that did my CL450 seat, a good likeness and fit, and they must be out of reach of Honda's lawyers, as they're not shy about using the lettering on the back of my seat. My only criticism was that Vietnamese imitation alligators must moisturise,  because genuine seats I have seen have a much coarser grain.

Speaking of crowded garages, here's mine, now the 911 has returned home.

I'm deliberately leaving the Z1A's back wheel and mudguard till last, because once fitted you won't be able to get past  any more. However being mobile will mean its a lot easier to try and fit the bike at an angle than it is now on the crate.
1969 Honda CL450 'Scrambler'
1974 Kawasaki Z1A
2005 Harley XL1200R Sportster
1985 Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera Sport
1978 VW Bay Window camper van

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 15, 2020, 10:47:37 AM »
Your garage is as bad as mine! The trouble with a garage is we tend to fill every spare inch of space with motorcycles  ::). I've bought a s/h roland drum kit to relive my mispent 'yoof' and that's in there now next to the Myford! I think the o/h is slowly moving me out of the house ;D
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 20, 2020, 10:33:51 AM »
This morning I got the headlamp built up and fitted. The clocks were once again cleaned and checked over by Pete Horton who did his usual top job. We had a bit of a problem with the re-chromed bezel. When it was bent back over the clocks the chrome flaked off leaving sharp edges. I have smoothed it all down and painted the missing bits matt black same as the mounting rubber, then carefully filled the slight gap with clear silicone. I don't think it looks too bad.

As the front end is now getting heavy for safety's sake it's time to get the bike onto it's centre stand. This involves chocking the front wheel so it cant run forwards or turn sideways, then whilst I lift the back end my glamorous assistant repositions the box underneath the swingarm. It's then quite safe to remove the temporary chocks. A system that I have done many times and it works well.

Nice to have bits ready to fit that are a mix of new and refurbished parts that are so clean you don't even need to wash your hands after. Hard to believe what these parts looked like back towards the start of this write up.

The stand and associated parts fitted straight on without any problems. Before fitting I decided to upgrade the rubber end blanking piece in the pivot pin with a grease nipple to make future maintenance a piece of cake. You can just see it on the left of the stand. The black wire hanging down is an extra live cable that will power the electronic ignition, just needs routing now the box is out of the way.

Next job to tackle is the fitting of the back end components, and getting the handlebars built up and fitted so it's easier if I have to move the bike.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 10:37:18 AM by royhall »
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal