Author Topic: 1967 CB450K0 Black Bomber Rebuild - By Royhall  (Read 42331 times)

Offline mo goldie

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1967 CB450K0 Black Bomber Rebuild - By Royhall
« Reply #420 on: March 11, 2024, 06:50:38 PM »
 have just had a look and found this out Ash.... so hope this a bit more clear....well to you but Not me lol.

Pink at ign switch but that was disconnected.. to the stator end yes continuity there. Brown at ign to brown
at the stator and rectifier Yes to that too....Yellow at ign to stator and rectifier yes to that too.

Ign switch back on the connect yellow to pink on light switch on yes they do connect when switched to that's lighting circuit.

the thing I can`t get is that wire on the right of the block at the Rectifier which looks as if someone has put some paint on to make it look like a pink wire..... I have traced that back were it comes out of the loom beside the battery which is a pink and white.....
Now when you look at the rectifier do them wires look right to you guy`s if you look at the 1st picture that's the one come out near the battery loom.... and the 2nd picture is where it comes out at the Rectifier end from the loom... I know that it is right by the colours That we said about earlier what comes from the stator end so are they right now but at the rectifier side ? hope this makes sense to someone.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2024, 11:43:23 PM by mo goldie »
Currant BIKES:

1980 Triumph Bonneville 750 T140/D Special Black & Gold
1962 BSA 650 Rocket Gold Star ( silver ) 
1977 Norton Commando 850 MK3  Interstate ( silver )
1977 Kawasaki KH400 Triple ( Green )
1999 Harley Davidson 1200S sportster Sport ( silver )
1975 Honda Monkey st70 Dax ( Blue )
1967 Honda CB450 KO Black Bomber

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: March 12, 2024, 09:11:48 AM »
Bloomin' eck Mo ... getting confused myself now! Those old wires don't age well colour wise and sometimes you have to strip back the loom a bit to see unfaded sections. But I guess the black  painted wire is the pink wire.

If it was me I would do a test to try and establish if your 5-Speed alternator is performing as it should, taking the wiring loom/ignition switch out of the equation.  I would get lengths of wire black, red and one other colour and wire the alternator directly to the rectifier (with the 3rd colour wire) and then the rectifier DC output (i.e + and -) directly to the battery (with black and red wires). Connect the PINK wire to one of the AC terminals on the rectifier. Firstly, only connect the YELLOW alternator wire to the other AC terminal of the rectifier. Run the engine and monitor the volts at the battery with your multimeter switched to DC volts. If the readings are not good (i.e no significant increase in voltage when you rev the engine) then also connect the WHITE  wire into the rectifier and do the same test with the multimeter. This will put the full output of the alternator into the rectifier. If you don't get a decent charge then it's a suspected faulty alternator stator. If you get a decent charge with both alternator coils in circuit but not with just the yellow wire connected then I would suspect weak rotor magnets.

NOTE !!! Colours are for your 5-Speed replacement stator and NOT the original Bomber K0 stator.

Hope this helps !

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: March 12, 2024, 09:18:23 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline mo goldie

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: March 12, 2024, 11:34:45 AM »
Thanks Ash

You make it sound so simple lol confused I am........ well I will have to put the carbs all back on at some point to get it running and give that a try so thanks for the drawing as I need something to go by lol.

wish the bit I don`t get my head around is the Electrics...... but I Must get it done by next month I think the 23rd as a yearly small bike show at a Pub and want to take the Honda...... pity about the carb parts tho, as the ones that are coming wont be here till end of April or into may then i will have to take them all off again to sort them out..... Not to bad tho as they were £17;99 for the two kits....  anyway I will see how things go and thanks again for all your help...you will get fed up with me with this problem as I just can`t get my head around it all.

Oh if you mean the black wire...... its the one left in the plug is brown ( looks Black )...yellow... and pink ish lol
« Last Edit: March 12, 2024, 11:47:29 PM by mo goldie »
Currant BIKES:

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: March 12, 2024, 11:57:32 AM »
Mo. You will probably find that those parts will arrive much quicker than you think.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: March 12, 2024, 12:09:19 PM »
Don't worry Mo .. i will dig you some decent needles out in time for your show.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline mo goldie

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: March 12, 2024, 07:27:46 PM »
are ok guy`s you know from me that your help in always Appreciated in whatever you have said and done.....
we know that help nowadays is hard to come by, I do try and do everything myself,,, but like the charging it gets
a bit of a nightmare for me. but you have both given me hope that there is some good people out there to help.

I have already made up the wiring at both ends from Alternator to the Rectifier Ash......... just need to put them

Carbs back on and do a on the bench set up and then the tank back on as not got a remote petrol bottle then should be good to go.....

so thanks again to you both  ;D

and thanks Ash for the needles in advance ...... I don't know but I have got coming just one Vacum spring off a honda CBR400 just to try if that will fit if it do I will try and get anther one.   
« Last Edit: March 12, 2024, 07:30:47 PM by mo goldie »
Currant BIKES:

Offline mo goldie

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: March 14, 2024, 03:03:16 PM »
Hi

just done the job Ash started bike with just the yellow in line and it went to below 11.8 volts.... then put the white on with the yellow and it went to 12.8 Volts revving to about 3.000 so it is there but Not through the wiring harness ..... so something still a miss do you think with either the stator as it don`t read just using the yellow coils as only give out a good voltage when connecting the white for the lighting........ so do you think stator...... if so I Know you said you had two......can I Bye one if you think it is that ?

Cheers Mo

oh the Vacuum Chamber spring I got from the CBR400 works a treat No Binding up and its Not so Heavy that it upsets the Vacuum of the slide so it is Nice and smooth. so ordered anther one......so if anyone else wants them I think he has got about 5 left...hope that help someone else out :)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133060672017
Currant BIKES:

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: March 14, 2024, 10:06:44 PM »
Mo ... I wonder if it's anything to do with the battery. Those later 5-speed epoxy coated stators are pretty reliable and you said you thought that the stator magnets still have a lot of magnetic strength, so I would imagine you should be generating a decent amount of power/

If your meter has a 10 Amp DC range it may be worth connecting it in series between the battery positive terminal and the wires that connect to the battery as in this Honda diagram attached. IMPORTANT THOUGH !!! Don't use the electric starter ... only use kick-start. Measure the current with just the yellow wire connected from the alternator and then with both yellow and white connected. Report back with your findings at tickover and 3k RPM.

If your meter does have the 10A DC range you need to connect the red probe to the high current socket on the meter. Send me details of your meter and I can suss it out if you are uncertain.
UPDATE ! You meter does indeed have a 10A DC range as I just checked it out in one of the pictures in an earlier posts and there is a 10A red socket to be used in conjunction with the normal black negative socket.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2024, 10:11:35 PM by AshimotoK0 »

Offline mo goldie

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: March 14, 2024, 11:44:01 PM »
Are thanks Ash

I will give that a try over the next day or so and see..... I have two meters one a fluke and the one you see which is a new one all bells and you Know what ..... which is all automatic so will try both.....it was meant to be a new battery what came with the bike.......... but if it is that at Fault I will get a Motobatt one if it is..as I got them on all my bikes.... My Kh400 had one on that 13 years before I changed it last year, I built that 17 years ago this year .... had to rebuild it two years ago after a silly "woman" ( Girl ) done a U turn in font of me coming back from the Copdock bike show after a good day as my BSA won but coming back home on the KH400 she did that......... But ha ho after a broken Shoulder and 8 broken ribs later I am here to tell the story as they say.

Cheers

Mo   
Currant BIKES:

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: March 15, 2024, 07:08:05 AM »
Are thanks Ash

I will give that a try over the next day or so and see..... I have two meters one a fluke and the one you see which is a new one all bells and you Know what ..... which is all automatic so will try both.....it was meant to be a new battery what came with the bike.......... but if it is that at Fault I will get a Motobatt one if it is..as I got them on all my bikes.... My Kh400 had one on that 13 years before I changed it last year, I built that 17 years ago this year .... had to rebuild it two years ago after a silly "woman" ( Girl ) done a U turn in font of me coming back from the Copdock bike show after a good day as my BSA won but coming back home on the KH400 she did that......... But ha ho after a broken Shoulder and 8 broken ribs later I am here to tell the story as they say.

Cheers
Mo

Oh dear glad you recovered OK Mo.

Not saying the battery is at fault just another thing to try as I read on another forum that a guys charging issues were down to the battery in the end .....  after a lot of head scratching.

If you then still suspect the stator then send it to me and I will check it out for you electrically.

Offline mo goldie

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: March 15, 2024, 03:07:57 PM »
Thanks Ash

Yes still getting there as shoulder was Never fixed but it is what it is ha...all she got was a £180 police course :(

Anyway I got out this Morning as it was dry and connected all up again and it was as much as I could do to keep her running for 5 mins so might be do to the batt. I checked the batt Voltage it was under 12V but I did do the test from yesterday and found that with the yellow and white connected I was getting 13.2 Volts ......... so before I do anything else I have just ordered a New Motobatt as just Not sure like you say it could be the battery, so ruling that out best to start off with a new one for peace of mind ha. so will go from there. 
Currant BIKES:

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: March 16, 2024, 12:53:29 PM »
Mo and Roy .. I know you think I probably drag my feet finding stuff but look what i had to look through to find the 450 carb spares and a pair of needles for you Mo. The re-plated parts were not there Roy but I have another stash to look through.

Will post the needles off to you Monday Mo

Offline Johnny4428

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: March 16, 2024, 01:28:07 PM »
Wouldn’t want to do a stock take on that lot!
1952 Cymoto on Triumph bicycle.
1961 Matchless G3
1974 Honda CB550K1. Running resto,
1978 Honda CB550K3.
1999 ST1100 Pan European 50th Anniversary.
1975,1980,1984,1986 Honda C90’s
1973 Honda CB750K3

Offline mo goldie

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: March 16, 2024, 09:37:39 PM »
Wow Wow.........

What can I say Ash......... But what a Stash lol..... thanks Ash that will be great for the Needles. should get the battery coming next week so hope that might make some headway with the charging Problems we will have to see.... just been a long winded way round this thing ha.... just hope all go`s well. Thanks Again Ash Much Appreciated.

One more thing I took the + wire off the battery side and put that to the meter and the - from the other side of the Meter to the battery but how do you get the power to run the bike as No lights etc.... I Know its just me but I said I was No good with electrics ha something I am doing wrong ha

Keep the old girls running ha well and me the old timer LOL  ;D

Cheers

Mo 
« Last Edit: March 16, 2024, 09:41:54 PM by mo goldie »
Currant BIKES:

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: March 17, 2024, 12:25:05 AM »
Wow Wow.........

What can I say Ash......... But what a Stash lol..... thanks Ash that will be great for the Needles. should get the battery coming next week so hope that might make some headway with the charging Problems we will have to see.... just been a long winded way round this thing ha.... just hope all go`s well. Thanks Again Ash Much Appreciated.

One more thing I took the + wire off the battery side and put that to the meter and the - from the other side of the Meter to the battery but how do you get the power to run the bike as No lights etc.... I Know its just me but I said I was No good with electrics ha something I am doing wrong ha

Keep the old girls running ha well and me the old timer LOL  ;D

Cheers

Mo

Step away from the meter! 😖🤣
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal