Author Topic: What to do next?  (Read 820 times)

Offline thegreatpan

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
What to do next?
« on: March 13, 2019, 08:17:19 AM »
Well, I have had the 400 for 18 months and I haven't missed a modern more powerful bike enough to buy another.  I have had plenty of fun days out on local roads so all good.

So this has led me to thinking about what about keeping the 400 as a daily rider and using it for a couple of longer trips.

When I got the bike it had been stored as part of a collection for 17 years, so it was really just an enhanced service to bring it back to life.

I would want to bring the 400 up to a known standard to reduce my "What's that rattle" paranoia, so some kind  of engine / carb rebuild would be preferred.

So has anyone had this work carried out and could give me an idea about costs, I am fine with oil, plugs etc, but don't have the knowledge/tools or space to do it myself. I love the bike and would want to keep it going, but still in regular use if you understand where I want to be with it.

TIA

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
Re: What to do next?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 08:45:06 AM »
Personally I wouldn't strip an engine if there was nothing wrong with it. Even stripping it for an inspection and putting it back together won't be cheap in terms of gaskets and labour.
Is there anything specific in particular you are concerned about? Does it use oil, does it smoke on start up or when changing gear.
All these bikes rattle to some degree as they are air cooled. A rattle could be something simple such as the carbs being out of balance causing clutch basket rattle and easily cured with a carb balance. The cam chain should be a rustle type sound.
Does the bike pull away cleanly without trying to stall, does it accelerate properly without caughing and spluttering?
If you want the carbs rebuilt and you don't wish to do it yourself I know a few people have used the services of Matt Harper with great results, I don't have his details but someone on here will. You will have to take the carbs off yourself and may well find the inlet rubbers have gone very hard, Dave Silver sells these.
Buy a Haynes Manual to start you off on the road to mechanical DIY and good luck.
Dave
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 08:54:46 AM »
Agree with above. If the engine ain't broken....leave well alone.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Gixxer-18

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 09:04:40 AM »
Having just done this to my 400/4, I can agree it does make the engine run smoother and with much less noise. #3 cylinder main jet was blocked, and ultrasonically cleaning all the jets and carb passages, then blowing through with compressed air removed a surprising amount of gunge!
You might well consider new inlet rubbers, I had to use a ratchet strap round the cylinder head to get the carb bank on, it was a tough job.
I had also bench synched the carb choke and throttle opening with a length of piano wire under each slide so that they all started to open at the same time, and the air screws turned out the same number of turns. That allowed me to start the engine enough to warm it up before adjusting it with vacuum gauges, although it ran quite smoothly compared to before even on these basic settings!

Offline PatM

• SOHC Member
  • 2001 R1, Triumph 1200 and the little 400/4!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 11:06:33 AM »
Well, I have had the 400 for 18 months and I haven't missed a modern more powerful bike enough to buy another.  I have had plenty of fun days out on local roads so all good.

Ive had my ‘latest’ one for 9 years now and ridden it locally, down to the shops, around Maidstone, back to The George’ in Shoreham- to re-live the ‘days’ when we had these (or better) and often thought- ‘I don’t need anything more than one of these?’
Then reality kicks in and the thoughts that you describe surface- Nothing lasts forever! They are aluminum engines and steel fastenings- as Julies say- if it ‘aint broke…
Personally, ill keep my 400/4 in its present condition and use it as I please. I have other bikes and do long journeys for work- so take one of them.
My brother has a mint 400/4 in his collection (well, currently only 2- the others a mint RD250) and he’s very much limited to distance because he’s two up- but not overly large- I think his other half is only about 5 foot tall.. but, you take my point? I live in the middle of Kent and we, as a Group, ride out to the coast or towards where we were brought up in SE London- both journeys can equal 120 miles return- using 40-year old machinery will take its toll.
So, I’ve a Triumph 1200- my 2nd one now- and I will pile the miles on that and no doubt, it will break as the last one did…

Offline thegreatpan

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 01:06:32 PM »
Thanks folks, just the advice I needed. Nothing wrong with the bike, it uses no oil and doesn't smoke on start up. It's a beautiful thing, just my paranoia  ;D .

So keep it as it is then, but I might start an engine rebuild fund as nothing lasts forever.

Would be pleased to have a ball park estimate on the Labour costs of a rebuild job.

Offline PatM

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2019, 01:46:16 PM »
Julie- Over to you girl! £££

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2019, 01:58:16 PM »
Julie- Over to you girl! £££
Haha Pat, putting me on the spot now  ;D My answer will be the same as we give every customer. Honda did not provide a crystal ball in with the factory issued tool kit. Until an engine is fully stripped, assessed, components measured etc, parts / machine work priced if needed / labour priced up etc  and the report typed up, there is absolutely no way of putting a price on a job.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline PatM

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2019, 05:09:20 PM »
Sorry Julie!
I recall a few years back inlet valves were unobtainable.

Id not be suprised that a full strip and rebuild could cost £4-5k, given what horrors could be found- your pistons for example.

I started my journey on this 400/4 9 years ago (bore...) and Ive spent about £3k in total inc purchase price. i was supposed to be 'get it running and flog it'
I can think of at least double that if i had the money to lob at it- Wheels, clocks, bars, mudguards, shot-blast frame, etc etc...

No, out of my budget, ill admit- I prefer to jump from one thing to another and keep the cost down but have fun- Ive a lovely Red CLK/Cab...I paid a Grand for it, Ive an MGTF for nearly 4 years, that was £1500- none of them mint but all get remarks- and all get used every week.
PERFECTION COMES AT A SHOCKING COST!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal