Author Topic: splitting cases advice  (Read 1677 times)

Offline Topcat

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
splitting cases advice
« on: February 17, 2019, 04:32:31 PM »
Hey guys,

Have been attempting to split cases for a while now as I want to inspect the internals as there was a fair amount of gunk in the sump and a lot of other worrying signs throughout the bike.

I'm having an issue and want to avoid rushing in and doing more damage to the cases. First I've managed to mostly break the seal between the two cases on the side of the oil filter but on the back side of the engine it seems to be completely solid. I've checked and re checked I've removed all the bolts and really want to avoid prying anywhere. I think it might be getting stuck on either the little dowel pin things (other places on the engine these have been really rusty) so soaking the thing with penetrating oil and using heat but nothing appears to be giving.

Any suggestions on what to do around this area to avoid damaging the mating surfaces? 

Edit: forgot to mention this is a CB550F2

Thanks
Topcat

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: splitting cases advice
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 04:39:39 PM »
There are a couple of bolts from the top down which frequently get forgotten about

Offline Topcat

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 05:09:39 PM »
There are a couple of bolts from the top down which frequently get forgotten about

On the following diagram which bolts are you referring to or are they not listed?

https://images.cmsnl.com/img/partslists/honda-cb550f2-super-sport-550-four-1977-england-crankcase_big00026138e12_0ee6.gif

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2019, 05:15:43 PM »
All the ones shown on the top pic plus no 22 on the bottom mate, even after years of doing them i ocassionaly get a brain fog about the odd one

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2019, 06:20:07 PM »
If not 22. Then have you drawn out the primary shaft ?

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2019, 06:51:57 PM »
Something is reminding me there is a plate behind the clutch as well, by the way easiest way to remove primary is to remove oil pump and use a soft drift on end of shaft.

Offline Topcat

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2019, 11:59:30 AM »
Cheers for the help guys, turns out it was just hanging up in a number of places and a bit more careful wiggling and the help of a friend and it came free. Still glad i didn't try and force it. Next step is to inspect the internals but need to clear a clean space for this bit so that'll be in a few days time.

Topcat

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2019, 12:09:08 PM »
As a 500 always replace the primary and cam chains plus the rubbers in the promary cush drive, also inspect the selectors, especialy the middle one, carefully.

Offline Topcat

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2019, 03:32:51 PM »
As a 500 always replace the primary and cam chains plus the rubbers in the promary cush drive, also inspect the selectors, especialy the middle one, carefully.

Will do, was planning on the chains but good to know about the primary drive cush rubbers. I'll replace these as well now. With regard to the bearings are these worth replacing and are they even available anymore? If not do you have any tips for cleaning them out and repacking or should this be avoided?

Cheers
Topcat

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2019, 09:39:03 PM »
To assess the bearings (if they are removed from other components)  you can wash them in clean paraffin,  then blow out with compressed air gun.

They should then by checked for play and rotated to see if they are smooth running with no real noise while rotating. 

Finally,  dip them in clean engine oil (they are normally run in this when running) and again check they rotate smoothly.  They should be silent like this, any noise and loose feeling you'd be looking at replacement.

Depending on original mileage they can stay in surprisingly good condition if the oil has been changed as it should.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2019, 10:22:05 PM »
Been busy exeremcising but would agree with above, ball races rarely need changing but check the needle rollers(and shafts) closely as people have reported some failures.

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2019, 06:59:28 AM »
Been busy exeremcising

Normally I can work out what you mean by some of your more mangled keyboard work Bryan.

Not this time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2019, 09:48:13 AM »
Been busy exeremcising

Normally I can work out what you mean by some of your more mangled keyboard work Bryan.

Not this time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Steve, at a guess remove the 3rd e and the  m from the last word, excercising?

Sent from my X6pro using Tapatalk

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2019, 09:58:57 AM »
Could be a mash up of "exorcism " and "memorising " which causes people to make those shite programs about ghost.  ;D

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2019, 10:13:48 AM »
You lot leave my dyslexic keyboard alone! Still trying to work a smartphone with huge fingers damaged by years of big hammers. I had been to the gym, otherwise known as torture, to practice for my DVLA execise test and was consequently extremely tired.

Thats my story and i'm sticking to it!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal