Author Topic: South London reliable mechanic to solve these issues?  (Read 631 times)

Offline alessandro

• View Profile
South London reliable mechanic to solve these issues?
« on: February 19, 2019, 12:09:51 PM »
Hi guys,
Does anyone know a good mechanic that can solve this issues on my cb550?
South London, zone 2/3 possibly. I live in Tulse Hill.

- battery goes flat all of a sudden after starter stops working. Regulator rectifier is faulty but I am not sure that this is the only reason

-overflow hose leaking gas from one carb bowl

-hose from airbox plenum leaking gas heavily

I am not an expert at all, there could be more problems behind..

Thanks for any tips!

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: South London reliable mechanic to solve these issues?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 01:50:28 PM »
Easy things first, carb floats sticking, that can cause fuel overflow. Can be easy to remedy, tap side of affected carn lightly with wooden or plastic screwdriver handle. Use a hefty dose of redex petrol fuel treatment. Often this can sort the issue with minimal expense or effort. My cb500/4 did this every 6 months or so, especially if not used for a week. And these measures invariably worked. If they dont it does need further investigation. Also good to be in the habit of always turning fuel tap off when bikes not actually running. Regulators and rectifies normally separate units on these bikes unless upgraded to modern unit. Sort that out before chasing other potential issues. Not very unusual for battery to be faulty even if fairly new.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline eight0

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 02:18:29 PM »
Hi guys,
Does anyone know a good mechanic that can solve this issues on my cb550?
South London, zone 2/3 possibly. I live in Tulse Hill.

- battery goes flat all of a sudden after starter stops working. Regulator rectifier is faulty but I am not sure that this is the only reason

-overflow hose leaking gas from one carb bowl

-hose from airbox plenum leaking gas heavily

I am not an expert at all, there could be more problems behind..

Thanks for any tips!

I'm no mechanic but I live in Tulse Hill/West Dulwich. If The advice about tapping the float bowl doesn't work I can help you check the float height and clean the float needle/seat. If you do have the original separate regulator and rectifier and yours is faulty you can have mine, I plan to replace mine with a single unit. 

Offline alessandro

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 07:02:07 PM »
Thank you very much for the replies guys!

@mattewmosse i’ll what you suggested and i’ll Keep you posted.
Is the fuel coming out from the air plenum hose that concerns me as well!
Thanks for the tip

@eight0 you can PM your mobile number if you don’t mind and in case I’ll struggle I would be happy to give you a ring. Your help would be much appreciated, I am a complete  newbie!
I think the regulator rectifier is a modern replacement in a single unit, not the original one...

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2019, 07:16:06 PM »
If the carbs overflowing fuel it might well find it's way up there, not sure I can recall much coming from there on my bikes, be a good idea to lift the tank and check fuel lines ard in good order, check bottom of tank for leaks, just in case theres a leak tracking fuel along a bottom edge of something from higher up.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal