Author Topic: CL / CB77 or 72 Spares availability common issues  (Read 1530 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Re: CL / CB77 or 72 Spares availability common issues
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2019, 11:40:59 PM »
Oop Norf!!!  hahaha You're all southerners to me.

Another difficult part to find for me was the cam chain tensioner, I ended up making one of my own using the old parts and home made roller following instructions from a lad that races them, forget his name now. Again this was a while ago so may be available now.

Graham Curtis told me to get a sprocket/roller from a Kawasaki Z650 to make a new camchain tensioner  (I got one from DK it's a brilliant design with bonded in rubber cushioning ...needs a different size needle roller bearing though). Grahams '61 build is here :) Truly amazing detail.

http://www.honda305.com/forum/index.htm    look for 1961 restoration project and he is 'G-man' on there.
Jesus Ash. Talk about War and Peace post -160+ pages! Started reading but how do you then go back to where you were as you seem only able to advance a few pages at a time if you are lucky. Is there an easy way?? Good read though and getting very technical with DIY crank rebuild etc.

Graham is a lovely bloke ... he prides himself on taking wrecks and restoring everything himself to an extremely high standard. Years ago he was a features writer for Classic Mechanics .. restored a Yellow 400/4 that was featured in there and a CB250K2 amongst others. ... We usually do swapsies out of the boots of our cars at Newark autojumble without any money ever changing hands ...just good old fashioned helping one another out just the way it used to be before prices for stuff went crazy.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2019, 09:42:22 AM »
A window of fame for inspiration

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

So many films use bikes for indirectly signalling character,  maverick etc for their actors.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2019, 11:51:10 AM »

Another difficult part to find for me was the cam chain tensioner, I ended up making one of my own using the old parts and home made roller following instructions from a lad that races them, forget his name now. Again this was a while ago so may be available now.

Graham Curtis told me to get a sprocket/roller from a Kawasaki Z650 to make a new camchain tensioner  (I got one from DK it's a brilliant design with bonded in rubber cushioning ...needs a different size needle roller bearing though). Grahams '61 build is here :) Truly amazing detail.

http://www.honda305.com/forum/index.htm    look for 1961 restoration project and he is 'G-man' on there.
Jesus Ash. Talk about War and Peace post -160+ pages! Started reading but how do you then go back to where you were as you seem only able to advance a few pages at a time if you are lucky. Is there an easy way?? Good read though and getting very technical with DIY crank rebuild etc.

Graham is a lovely bloke ... he prides himself on taking wrecks and restoring everything himself to an extremely high standard. Years ago he was a features writer for Classic Mechanics .. restored a Yellow 400/4 that was featured in there and a CB250K2 amongst others. ... We usually do swapsies out of the boots of our cars at Newark autojumble without any money ever changing hands ...just good old fashioned helping one another out just the way it used to be before prices for stuff went crazy.

Here is the project 400/4 at the 1st Classic Mechanics show in 1994 with Dinah May sitting on it ... she was the model for Honda UK around the time that the 400/4 was being sold. She then became Michael Winners P.A.  :)

Graham still owns that 400/4 ..it was his 1st one he owned that he rode into the ground before the Classic Mechanics Resto.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline masonmart

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2019, 08:28:14 PM »
Just dreaming of future projects. I love the look of sloper style engines over vertical on these earlier bikes. My ideas would be a non standard variant, probably based on the CL frame. What are the common issues with engines and what are spares like to get? Appreciate CL was not imported into the UK and CB parts would be more available (where they do cross over). Just thinking fodder.....

I have had 2 CB77's until recently when I sold one. Both I upgraded to 5 speed, 350cc, big valve, electronic ignition, duplex primary, etc. Parts are fairly easy to get via e-bay, CMSNL and people like Chris Bancroft who has bought a lot of spares but prices climb ever higher. They are a beautiful and iconic bike and perfect for projects. With the mods I did this wonderful bike also becomes a real bike to use in modern traffic. Are you in the UK?
Dresda CB500-4, 605 cc
CB-77, 350 cc
1968 Bonneville
1976 Thruxton Velocette
1974 Kawasaki Avenger
1997 VFR 750

Offline Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2019, 05:48:52 PM »
Yep UK hence concerns on bits for US only CL etc. Tell me more re 5 speed box. Is it a drop in from another model?
One day I'll have the time to restore it, not just talk and dream....

Offline masonmart

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2019, 07:14:20 PM »

G-man is a good guy and he knows these bikes backwards. They're so popular though as project bikes and such good bikes to use that there are a few people who just buy up any spares going and know what the value is. You just have to pay and unavailable spares sometimes surface. Once you have done a resto on them they are good for many miles though because they are so lightly stressed.
Dresda CB500-4, 605 cc
CB-77, 350 cc
1968 Bonneville
1976 Thruxton Velocette
1974 Kawasaki Avenger
1997 VFR 750

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal