Author Topic: CL / CB77 or 72 Spares availability common issues  (Read 1531 times)

Offline Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
CL / CB77 or 72 Spares availability common issues
« on: February 21, 2019, 01:18:32 PM »
Just dreaming of future projects. I love the look of sloper style engines over vertical on these earlier bikes. My ideas would be a non standard variant, probably based on the CL frame. What are the common issues with engines and what are spares like to get? Appreciate CL was not imported into the UK and CB parts would be more available (where they do cross over). Just thinking fodder.....
One day I'll have the time to restore it, not just talk and dream....

Offline Tomb

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: CL / CB77 or 72 Spares availability common issues
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 09:32:14 PM »
The only thing I found hard to locate in engine parts was the primary chain, but that was a while ago and I believe they are more readily available now.
Tom
'73 CB550 with CB500 engine café racer
'62 CB77 Sprinter
'70 CD175
'78 CB550 with sidecar
'80 Z50R
And a load of old Yamaha 1100's

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 08:05:55 AM »
Primary chain is now available by 'Sprockets Unlimited' in the UK  at £25. Whole kickstart mechanism including engine side cover is a nightmare as so fragile and poorly designed but I think the CL arrangement is much more robust. To be honest I have a CB72 but, to me, the 160/175 and CB250 engines are a lot better designed bottom ends easier to work on and fix. There are five chains in the CB72, Primary, Cam, Oil filter, Starter and main drive chain. On the CB72 there is a weird kickstart shaft drive shaft that runs in needle bearings through the gearbox shaft ... very expensive to replace.
My mate Graham Curtis is a guru on all things C/CB/CL 72/77 and I can put you in touch if you wish. He has lots of 'em including a '61 CB72 which is quite a bit different than the following years and very rare.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 09:22:51 AM »
 Thanks Tomb and Ash. Thought you might pop up in with response Ash and as usual very helpful and knowledgeable.

This ia all just a thinker at the moment but may well take you up on contacting your mate at some point. "Is e oop north wi us?"

Tim

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2019, 09:43:43 AM »
Thanks Tomb and Ash. Thought you might pop up in with response Ash and as usual very helpful and knowledgeable.

This ia all just a thinker at the moment but may well take you up on contacting your mate at some point. "Is e oop north wi us?"

Tim

He's in Morley, Ilkeston, Derbyshire !
 !
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2019, 10:19:42 AM »
Proper bloke then!

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2019, 11:19:42 AM »
Proper bloke then!

Say's 'chap' though not 'duck'  :D

Offline Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2019, 11:39:23 AM »
Reet youth! ;)

As a Sussex man by birth and a Derbyshire import in the 70's masquerading as a Northerner, Duck always seems a bit weird....

Offline Tomb

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2019, 11:44:50 AM »
Oop Norf!!!  hahaha You're all southerners to me.

Another difficult part to find for me was the cam chain tensioner, I ended up making one of my own using the old parts and home made roller following instructions from a lad that races them, forget his name now. Again this was a while ago so may be available now.
Tom
'62 CB77 Sprinter
'70 CD175
'78 CB550 with sidecar
'80 Z50R

Offline Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2019, 12:18:02 PM »

Another difficult part to find for me was the cam chain tensioner, I ended up making one of my own using the old parts and home made roller following instructions from a lad that races them, forget his name now. Again this was a while ago so may be available now.
Cumbria, dont you have icebergs and stuff there? Properly put in my place ;D

Loving the technical knowledge available on our brill forum as usual.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2019, 12:26:50 PM »

Graham Curtis told me to get a sprocket/roller from a Kawasaki Z650 to make a new camchain tensioner  (I got one from DK it's a brilliant design with bonded in rubber cushioning ...needs a different size needle roller bearing though). Grahams '61 build is here :) Truly amazing detail.

http://www.honda305.com/forum/index.htm    look for 1961 restoration project and he is 'G-man' on there.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 12:52:26 PM by AshimotoK0 »

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2019, 02:42:59 PM »
Interesting read Ash, what a wreck to start from though! I need to read the full story on a laptop, a smart phone is difficult to read!
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline Tomb

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2019, 03:09:32 PM »
Icebergs!! hahaha not quite. I was out and about around Coniston last Saturday and Sunday on my CB77, it was mild, dry roads and sunshine.

Graham Curtis told me to get a sprocket/roller from a Kawasaki Z650 to make a new camchain tensioner  (I got one from DK it's a brilliant design with bonded in rubber cushioning ...needs a different size needle roller bearing though).

Now you mention it I think I diverted away from home made steel roller the racing boys use as I had an old CD175 roller available and used that in the CB72/77 arm. I'm guessing they are still unavailable?? It was years ago I built my bike up.
Tom
'62 CB77 Sprinter
'70 CD175
'78 CB550 with sidecar
'80 Z50R

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2019, 04:13:15 PM »
Interesting read Ash, what a wreck to start from though! I need to read the full story on a laptop, a smart phone is difficult to read!

Really rare bike though ..it looks the same as the later model but lots of differences.. he has other projects like that from the early 60's plus he is hoping to build a 600/6 out of two 400/4 engines .

Offline Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2019, 01:52:04 PM »

Graham Curtis told me to get a sprocket/roller from a Kawasaki Z650 to make a new camchain tensioner  (I got one from DK it's a brilliant design with bonded in rubber cushioning ...needs a different size needle roller bearing though). Grahams '61 build is here :) Truly amazing detail.

http://www.honda305.com/forum/index.htm    look for 1961 restoration project and he is 'G-man' on there.
Jesus Ash. Talk about War and Peace post -160+ pages! Started reading but how do you then go back to where you were as you seem only able to advance a few pages at a time if you are lucky. Is there an easy way?? Good read though and getting very technical with DIY crank rebuild etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal