Author Topic: When you just can't see it  (Read 435 times)

Offline sye

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
When you just can't see it
« on: February 21, 2019, 06:03:30 PM »
I'm going through one of those age related moments and just can't see the answer. It's obvious (probably) But I'm too dim to see it. The 500 I bought had Boyer ignition and standard coils. the insulation had cracked on all four lead, so I replaced them with Boyer coils. Not the mini ones but the Honda replacement ones that bolt straight on. Spec is 4.2 - 4.6 ohms, so should be good to go.

Now, the Honda coils have a yellow feed on the L coil and a blue feed on the R, with a black/white wire common to both. The Boyer coils have blue (+) and yellow (-) on both coils. The electronic output has one blue and one yellow wire and a black (earth). The destructions say "Connect the blue and yellow wires from the transistor box with the female connections to the blue and
yellow wires removed from the ignition coils". How can this be right or am I thick?

The Honda wiring diagram shows two wires going to the original coils, one yellow to the left coil + and one blue to the right +. An additional black/white goes to the - side of both coils from the kill switch.

My head hurts!

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: When you just can't see it
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 06:50:02 PM »
The black/white from the kill switch is +ve and the wires to ignition unit -ve, i believe Boyer fires both coils together.

Offline sye

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: When you just can't see it
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 03:55:01 PM »
Thanks Bryan, that did the trick. For some unknown reason I just couldn't see it. The replacement Boyer coils had yellow cables on the -ve and blue on the +ve and the colour combination was confusing me. I removed the connectors and ignored the colours, made up new leads in the correct coloured cable and it all goes together as it should.

Thanks again.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal