Author Topic: CB550K3 PD46 carb jet sizes - the eternal querstion  (Read 729 times)

Offline Ashdowner

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
CB550K3 PD46 carb jet sizes - the eternal querstion
« on: February 28, 2019, 08:30:06 PM »
My 1978 CB550K3 PD46 carbs have got main jets of 90 and slow-running jets of 38. Is that correct? I struggle to get it to run smoothly at low revs and it always feels like it's starved of petrol when I open it up. The Haynes manual only refers to the earlier type carbs.
CB550K3, CB550K1, Yamaha Midnight Star, and CA77 in 2473 pieces (at the last count)

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: CB550K3 PD46 carb jet sizes - the eternal querstion
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2019, 09:08:12 PM »
You can just about guarantee that the pilots are blocked and possibly pilot circuit. The K3 takes a long time on choke before it will run properly. Last one i did took 3 carb cleanings at monthly intervals and new pilots before it ran anything like right

Offline Ashdowner

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 10:05:25 PM »
Cheers Bryan. I've discovered from the SOHC specs file that I have the right jets. The jets weren't blocked but I've put them in the ultrasound tank. So to clean the circuits I assume requires ultrasound? Only got a small tank which means the pain of dismantling the carbs from the rack and bath them one by one. Groan.
CB550K3, CB550K1, Yamaha Midnight Star, and CA77 in 2473 pieces (at the last count)

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 11:41:37 PM »
DO NOT split the PD from the rack as the choke mechanism is an absolute nightmare. I managed with carb clean and air line. I did find new pilot jets at Sirius in Canada.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2019, 10:46:24 PM »
On my wifes old nighthawk I had issues with carbs gunked up on stale fuel. Being as time was short and I had limited patience for a bike I regarded purely as a utility, I just jetted enough carb cleaner into it to get it running like a bag of spanners then ran it with redex in the fuel for 3 months d a daily rider - well actually 2 or 3 years but 3 months was how long it took to get the cabs running decently. Improvement was gradual, the first few hundred miles was not very fun as it kept stalling and dieing. My shortcut probably cost £10 in redex but removing the carb would have taken longer than an hour and a halfs wages. Vibration and solvent both present when riding. Obviously only effective if the blockage is one that will dissolve or flush, so stale fuel it works but alloy  oxide or dirst still needs removing the old fashioned way, but I have had some luck with my lazy way over the years and would say its worth a shot.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Seabeowner

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2019, 08:46:31 AM »
DO NOT split the PD from the rack as the choke mechanism is an absolute nightmare. I managed with carb clean and air line. I did find new pilot jets at Sirius in Canada.
If you have split them getting the double spring connection be tween 2-3 is certainly challenging.
I think that the pilot was opened up to a 42 for the US 78 bikes.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Phil
1971  CB500K0  Candy Jade Green or Candy Gold
1973  CB500K1  Candy Ruby Red
1975  CB550F1   Shiny Orange
1978  CB550K     Excel Black

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2019, 08:54:49 AM »
Sirius in Canada do new pilots for these and a couple of sizes if i remember correctly

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2019, 10:06:47 AM »
I'd echo Bryan and Mathewmosse,  in that if they've been blocked on those really small low speed jets,  it can take quite a while before you can get them back up to scratch.
Initially, as soon as you get them visibly clean and running,  then they accumilate more problems.

You can get some idea of which carb is problematic by warming the engine and one at a time screw the adjustment in and out.  If it's blocked you get no response from that cylinder.  so at least you can pinpoint where you need to work.

Also,  with them dismantled,  you can use one of those domestic steam cleaners with a nozzle for ovens etc to clean the tubes within the carb bodies. It's used in chemical analytical labs to clean all the glassware,  removes tarring, crystalline deposits etc and may help you get them fully operational.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal