Author Topic: bike insurance  (Read 1926 times)

Offline blackeagles

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Re: bike insurance
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2019, 11:41:41 AM »

[/quote]
Well...it was the cheapest of the three companies on go compare that would have me at all. The AA wouldn't touch me. I've worked in the insurance industy albiet in Life Assurance but i do know I'm in a part of London known to insurers s 'The Bermuda Triangle'....because so much goes missing!!
[/quote]

maybe it would be worth running it throu. gocomp or the like again to see what prices you get quoted now.

if you are only half way into the insurance and given the company prob. charges £50 cancellation but with a new insurance of maybe £200 (asuming your not knee deep in accidents/speeding etc)  then changing would at least give you a reasonable company and you could make yourself £250 without even leaving the house!!

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2019, 11:49:54 AM »
I'm due to renew middle next month...
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2 called Elen.

Offline blackeagles

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2019, 12:35:07 PM »
hopefully the 'cheap' one is still available (mce) - bound to be a better one than your current one out there somwhere.

maybe a decent chain and/or some data/marking system to reduce the risk and therefore the cost.

good luck.

Offline davefirestorm

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2019, 12:45:29 PM »
Mate of mine had an off on his almost new Harley last August.He’s insured with MCE and he still hasn’t got the bike back even though damage was minimal/easy to repair,when he gets it back he has to pay £1050 excess.So cheap insurance isn’t worth taking in my opinion.Just renewed my insurance with Peter James came down to £385 classic policy with old and modern bikes on,can’t beat that price with companies I’ve tried and I get European breakdown cover too.
Honda CB650Z
Honda F6C Valkyrie

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2019, 01:37:33 PM »
Mate of mine had an off on his almost new Harley last August.He’s insured with MCE and he still hasn’t got the bike back even though damage was minimal/easy to repair,when he gets it back he has to pay £1050 excess.So cheap insurance isn’t worth taking in my opinion.Just renewed my insurance with Peter James came down to £385 classic policy with old and modern bikes on,can’t beat that price with companies I’ve tried and I get European breakdown cover too.
Yep I'm with Peter James on almost the same price with a mix of modern and classic, and two registered premises home and lockup. Couldn't find a better deal anywhere else. The cover is very good as well (although so far I haven't had to make a claim).
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2019, 03:38:49 PM »
MCE is who I'm with. The stumbling block seems to be not having a garage...but look how many garages get broken into around here!
I brake for animals!

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2019, 03:51:32 PM »

Surely there has got to be more to that story than that. What does the insurance company say the delay is for. He must have asked.

Offline davefirestorm

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2019, 09:01:44 PM »
My thoughts too but he claims he just gets fobbed off when he rings them,I certainly would have been on to them straight away.Had a car insurance claimed settled within couple of weeks recently.
Peter James Can’t Be beaten for my requirements,I have two garages 20 Miles apart that I use and they’re happy with that.
Honda CB650Z
Honda F6C Valkyrie

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2019, 10:54:40 PM »
Yep I'm with Peter James on almost the same price with a mix of modern and classic, and two registered premises home and lockup. Couldn't find a better deal anywhere else. The cover is very good as well (although so far I haven't had to make a claim).

Essex isn't all that bad then I have 4 bikes on one policy for about that much. I'm with Adrian Flux
I often find phoning around rather then using comparison sites gets a better deal. But it can be quit time consuming
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2019, 11:05:35 PM »
I always used Lynbrookes for about a decade, very nice to deal with. Allowed multi bike, multi rider, was paying £160 or so for 5 bikes with me, the wife, and my dad all able to ride any of the 5 bikes. Sadly I had to pull the bikes all off the road after getting laid off and am still buying kit to keep self employment viable and future proof, but looking like this summer a Bike might be  resurrected and I'll be calling g Lynbrooks first. No cancellation or mid term adjustment fees. Buy back salvage in event of total write off. Ticks all my boxes.  Thankfully not had to claim so no idea how they handle that but informing them of a car accident to keep the paperwork streight they basically said, it's not going to effect the premium so dont worry about it. That quote is based on bike being garaged overnight 'normally' but as a care worker back then it was parked outside work overnight quite often. I think they said it was a case of if the bike was mostly kept in the garage than odd nights away was reasonable. Locks and alarms had to be thatcham approved to be counted as security.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline PatM

• SOHC Member
  • 2001 R1, Triumph 1200 and the little 400/4!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2019, 05:02:27 PM »
I'm hoping when I go to get a quote from Footman James I'll get better than the £1054 pa I'm paying for tpft now. alas, someone just mentioned Garage, I'm not able to say i have one. But an out the way garage is probably more vulnerable around here than my being in a gated community, there are two enty phones to pass, it's under a ceiling, with a cover over it...in a courtyard with almost 30 nosey neighbours who know who owns the bike. When I go out for a late night jaunt I see people coming to their windows ...a thief wouldn't stand a chance of going un-noticed but alas, that didn't count on my last quote. Only three companies on 'Go compare' would have me at all. I live in Shadwell east London.

Wow- £1054 for how many bikes?

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2019, 07:48:43 PM »
Wow- £1054 for how many bikes?
One. No garage even though I have something that could be better. I live in the insurance worlds 'Bermuda Triangle'  ::)
I brake for animals!

Offline PatM

• SOHC Member
  • 2001 R1, Triumph 1200 and the little 400/4!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2019, 08:27:41 PM »
Ok, Ive garages on my side but also age...i think the 400/4 cost me £100 a year. The Tiger 1200 is about 270 from memory and the R1 i really cant remember. We still suffer thefts down in mid-kent because its a world of haves and have-nots. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal