Author Topic: Somewhere in Japan...  (Read 875 times)

Offline sye

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Somewhere in Japan...
« on: March 10, 2019, 04:33:58 PM »
...there is a very happy man. He's very old by now and he's sitting in front of the TV or reading a book. Every now and then he takes a ball of rice, a bit of fish and smiles. Sometimes he chuckles and at other times he laughs out loud. This strange behavior first began in the early 70's and his family have never worked out what it is but I know exactly what it is.  8)

This is the man who designed the four-into-four exhaust for the 500 four. He keeps thinking about the poor round eyed idiots who have to remove it and try and line it all back up again. In a moment of madness he even made sure that taking the rear wheel out was a major event. You can't just take the nut off and remove the spindle, oh no, you have to slide the whole lot out of the back end. This makes him very happy but today, it made me very angry, well, a little...  >:(

I've been arsing about since 10am fitting the exhaust. I say fitting the exhaust but as I type tears of frustration are rolling down my cheeks. I've talked to it, realigned it (10 times), persuaded it and even pleaded with it but can I line up the two rear tubes, can I fook!  :'( Leaving it for today before the lump hammer comes out and I do something I'll regret. Back to it tomorrow, wish me luck. ;D

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Somewhere in Japan...
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 04:51:45 PM »
Oh dear Sye, what a great little ditty. Chin up matey, they WILL fit in the end, they can be awkward. How far adrift are they?
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 05:05:37 PM »
The aftermarket brackets are slightly different from originals and they were never perfect in the first place. Do not have any of the silencer, footrest flange bolts any more than just started to get alignment right. As to rear wheel we always found them easier in the workshop than the remove spindle type!

Offline sye

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 05:22:02 PM »
Oh dear Sye, what a great little ditty. Chin up matey, they WILL fit in the end, they can be awkward. How far adrift are they?

Not far Julie but enough. They are too far apart so the rubber isn't on enough and they are about 5mm out of line. I've bent the new DSS brackets here and there and it's better than it was but still nowhere near where they should be. I'm going to have another go at the brackets tomorrow. There's no reason why they shouldn't line up properly if the brackets are angled correctly.

Bryan, there is a thread on the US forum that explains it all rather well. I followed that to the letter but it didn't work.

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2019, 06:56:41 PM »
Walk away because you can. Tomorrow is another day not broken into. The other week could I buggery get a main stand spring on. The next day it was on within 30 secs.

Offline jon stead

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2019, 07:11:43 PM »
BITD, a friend and I were miles away from home on our motorbikes. He was on a 500 Four, with a pillion passenger, and I was on my CB250. He got a rear puncture. We parked up, removed the rear wheel using only the supplied tool kit, and I lay in the sun whilst he and the passenger took the wheel into the nearest town, on my bike, to get the puncture fixed. They weren’t away that long and upon return we refitted the wheel and continued our journey. I don’t recall it being a difficult task taking off or putting on. Also, I’ve never thought it difficult doing it today on my 500 four. Sye, I’m just wondering what made you angry about removing your rear wheel today?

Regarding the exhausts lining up, is it both sides that are not lining up or just one side? I ask because on the left hand side, I had a devil of a job, before I realised I had the exhausts routed wrong with respect to the side stand. Once I realised that, they lined up easily.
2015 Triumph Bonneville T100 Newchurch

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2019, 08:08:05 PM »
Sye, I know how you feel... I myself had troubles, but thanks to Sohron's thread I've learned how to do it. Believe me, it's the only way: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,82323.msg925422.html#msg925422new * and in this here forum Ashimoto learned me how you can check the brackets have the right shape (see pics below).
* Ignore Sohron's is a CB550, it's the same for a CB500.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 08:17:54 PM by deltarider »

Offline sye

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2019, 09:05:34 PM »
Thanks Delta, found that thread after I'd given up for the day. The dimensions are very useful, so the plan is to remove them, measure brackets and correct as necessary. I will then follow the instructions in the SOHC4 thread.

Offline sye

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2019, 09:07:17 PM »
@John Steed, didn't take the wheel out, it was just a bit of poetic license.  ;D

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2019, 09:09:55 PM »
Are you aware Sye that number 2 and 3 brackets go on the inside of the frame hanger ?   ;)

Offline sye

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2019, 09:13:30 PM »
I am Graham. The larger ones go behind and the smaller ones in front. They go where they should but don't fit right. Will post some pics tomorrow but I suspect the DSS brackets are a smidgen off.

Offline sye

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2019, 04:03:07 PM »
Today I removed the right side brackets and supported the silencers on an axle stand. I measured them and found that the large one was 4mm out and the short one 3mm out. A bit of persuasion in the soft jaws vice and refitted them. Hey presto it all lines up much better than before. Only got the right side fitted today as I finished fitting the Scottoiler and cleaned up the chain guard on the left side.

Tomorrow afternoon should see them both on, then it's check electrics, start it, balance carbs and try and get a seat.

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2019, 10:02:42 AM »
Well done Sye, good progress. Walking away from the problem for an evening to think about it in a claimer environment always works. Post a photo when they are all on.
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2019, 10:20:45 AM »
Last time I was at it, I had to 'timesert' three of the 6X40 studs in the head. Hope you have more luck. I also tweaked the left lower bracket the wrong way (this in spite of Ashimoto's pics  :() so the left brackets are both on the outer side of the frame ear now. Have to redo that as soon as I have made up my mind how. I hesitate to order a replica bracket since I read here it may not have the right shape. I can retweak my bracket which will not make it any stronger...
Or I could leave it as it is. Anyway, the headers seal at the head and the vertical tubes in the rear align sufficient enough. It's only exhaust #2 under the engine is in contact with the sidestand bracket. Actually I've seen more CB500s and a CB550 that have both brackets on the outside and at one CBFour workshop I was told, they are supposed to be. This was years ago. After having read Sohron's thread, I know it's not true so last year I've sent that dealer Ashimoto's pics.
Again, I would not have managed without Sohron's thread and Ashimoto's pics.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 10:49:27 AM by deltarider »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal