SOHC.co.uk Forums > CB650

CB650 carbs

(1/2) > >>

Raymond_Y:
Hi, I have a 1980 CB650 engine that I intend to use for a future care racer project and have a question on the carbs.  I have a couple of sets of carbs (069A and PD46) which I hope I can use for the project.  My question is around the carb size.  All the specs I have found suggest a 1980 CB650 had PD51 carbs that were 26mm.  However, if you measure the internal diameter of the inlet stubs they are 30mm, which seems strange.  Could I use the PD46A’s or should I consider perhaps taking the opportunity to fit bigger carbs?

Raymond

andy120t:
I use carbs from a GPz600 on mine and it runs OK with those and four separate air filters.   I seem to remember there were a couple of different heads / inlet ports spacing when I was investigating.  As it was built up from a box of parts I didn't ever have the orginals so I'm not sure of specs for those.

I don't have a link to the info I used at the time, but it's somewhere on  the US SOHC website - they have a lot more cb650 stuff / interest on there.

..and I just searched 'gpz carbs on cb650' in google and it brought up a few threads and youtube videos that could help. (eg) http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=68816.210

Hope that helps! 

Raymond_Y:
Thanks for the input.  Fortunately, I have managed to source a set of PD51A carbs that I can refurbish.  Did not expect there to be any available as the CB650 wasn’t very popular.

Raymond

hairygit:

--- Quote from: Raymond_Y on April 03, 2019, 05:49:28 PM ---Thanks for the input.  Fortunately, I have managed to source a set of PD51A carbs that I can refurbish.  Did not expect there to be any available as the CB650 wasn’t very popular.

Raymond

--- End quote ---
Truth is PD carbs are even less popular than the CB650, most owners quickly look for different carbs, especially on 550K3's and 750F2's.

Sent from my X6pro using Tapatalk

Raymond_Y:
What is it specifically people don’t like about PD carbs.  Is it just that they are a bit more difficult to set up accurately, because they are a “lean” carb to meet emissions regs?

Raymond

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version