Author Topic: Forgotten just how much fun these bikes are!  (Read 4693 times)

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
Forgotten just how much fun these bikes are!
« on: May 25, 2008, 05:23:53 PM »
I went out on my 500 today after months of riding Triumph 900 and 955i bikes every day.

I had forgotten how much fun they were! Forget the lack of power, the crap brakes and the sh*t handling; if you're not in a hurry they're a blast!!

Although I do 20k miles a year on my various Triumphs, I try to put at least 250 miles a year on the old 'un between MOTs.

It was Honda day at the Ace today but it was persisting down all morning. The sun came out just after Lewis Hamilton won the GP...
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline Dave M

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Forgotten just how much fun these bikes are!
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 05:58:09 PM »
As long as you're aware of their limitations they are great fun as you say Steve.

I really enjoy riding my old 550.
Dave
Melbourne.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 08:47:30 PM »
I prefer the lower power, keeps me to a sensible speed but still feeling like it's fast. used to fell like the speed limmit was way too slow on my bmw. Licence was in serious danger of damage......... I really need to get a 500 solo up and running.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Dave M

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 08:03:38 AM »
Having ridden twins for most of my biking life the 550 sounds like it's revving it's nuts off by the time it gets to about 4k rpm. That keeps the licence safe!

The rev counter works though and the needle will go into the red bit.
Dave
Melbourne.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 09:21:09 AM »
According to the early 500 handbooks you can go right through the red bit!

Spent 2 years doing that in gears up to 3rd on one cos i was fed up with the reliability---know what damn thing still never went bang and when i pulled it to do the oil weep (Thats built in at the factory sir!) EVERYTHING was still well inside tolerance so i twin disced it with one caliper in front and one behind--looked odd but stopped well

Offline steff750

• SOHC Expert
  • THE POWER OF DREAMS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 10:29:19 AM »
 I took one of my old girls (HONDA CB750 1970)for an M.O.T saturday morning i have not been on it since last summer,i could,nt wait too go for a spin on it and it was a nice sunny day i did over 160 miles that afternoon it did,nt miss a beat,i forgot how enjoyable these bikes are , big comfy seat ,high bars relaxed riding position smooth engine, they are built for eating up the miles.

Offline Dave M

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 06:05:22 PM »
No aching wrists, neck and back either...
Dave
Melbourne.

Offline Andy1976

• SOHC Member
  • '76 Honda CB750F1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 07:33:57 PM »
When I was doing my bike test I was using a CBF500, I found that when we'd finished our days training  I could'nt lift a pot of tea my wrists were that bad. Non of that on the CB750 (till it broke.) Maybe it was I wasn't used to riding. These old bikes seem so comfy.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 10:54:31 PM »
I prefer the relaxed nature of these bikes to modern kit. When doing my test I couldn't get on with the modern grabby brakes and strangled engines, riding position etc. Not sure exactly what these bikes have but they are defintly very good at it. boyer ignition now fitted, now its even better, possibly helped by cleaning the carbs, but its definately better than its been for a long time :)
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Dave M

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2008, 10:18:25 AM »
The other thing I find with my 500 is that I can cruise very comfortably around 70 to 80 and I'm not getting blown off the back.

Very comfortable riding position and you could do it all day.
Dave
Melbourne.

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2008, 10:10:13 AM »
Wow, I've never had a go on a modern bike unless you count a 500/4 as modern which it seems only mad people like me do.  I am seriously intrigued.  What modern bike would you recommend to someone who has seriously never been on anything newer than 1979?

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2008, 10:46:02 AM »
Seeing as we are "Honda" people on here, I'd recommend a CBR600 or CBF - depending upon whether you want sports or naked.

Then a VFR.

Then a Blackbird.

Then try something with a little soul, like a Triumph, Ducati etc.
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2008, 11:25:40 AM »
Don't know what any of those are, I'll have to look them up on google.  My knowledge of Hondas stops at the introduction of the CX500 which I had for a while many years ago.  Monstrously heavy thing with a silly water-cooling system which always leaked.  It was very ugly, so I took everything off that I could get away with. It was extremely ratty including a very agricultural home made exhaust system (its amazing what one can do with flexible exhaust hosing) and a strip of metal with some carpet on it for a seat.  It had fantastic brakes though, I wonder if they would fit 500/4......

When I got rid of that I rebuilt my cb350k and when that blew up I got the 500/4 and I've been riding it ever since.

Triumph, I am intrigued to know what they are like, not the pretend bonnevilles etc because I have heard they are a bit pedestrian but the sportier ones sound good.  I just can't get to grips with the look of modern bikes but I guess I should try.

S

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2008, 12:24:33 PM »
Don't know what any of those are, I'll have to look them up on google. 

CBR600 = middleweight sports bike, swept all before it when launched in the 80's (ie before the Fireblade came along)

CBF600 = same engine (but detuned) but no fairings, clipons etc (called a Hornet over here)

VFR = I don't believe that you've never heard of a VFR...

Blackbird = 1100cc fast as the plane (nearly) but a bit dull.

Triumphs - don't start me off...

3 cylinder engines are fab with the torque (grunt) of a twin but the top end power of a 4. Oh, and they sound fantastic.
Did you ever see a Jota? - well they're like that.

No choke.
No fuel tap.
No carbs!
Brakes that work.
Suspension that works.
Awesome power (by comparison) - you don't need the 150+ top end but the 50-90 times have to be experienced to be believed (even in 6th gear.
Utter reliability.

I'll shut up now.
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2008, 12:38:20 PM »
...no don't know VFR but will look up now as have curiosity aroused.

Triumphs sound fab, I guess that's why they hold their price.  Maybe I'll get one in about fifteen years time when all of the petrol has dried up.  You see I'm not allowed to spend more than thruppence ha'penny on bikes per year without making my wife upset.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal