Author Topic: Buying Adivce/What to look for  (Read 1154 times)

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Buying Adivce/What to look for
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2019, 09:22:19 PM »
The real question though, is do you want to just get on and ride or do you want to have the experience of building your bike up. A restoration inevitably costs more than a restored bike. Then there is the middle ground, a used classic with plenty of pattination. The needs a bit of fettling to the carbs bikes can be worthwhile if you want to get your hands dirty but probably if you prefer to just ride then theres not likely to be much saving cash wise over a good running example once you've replaced various bits that need it and there is still your time to take into account. Remember a good bike at 2k is probably going to be on good tyres and have reasonable brakes, chain and sprockets if you shop around a bit, the one that's neglected and has gummed up carbs will probably want all that buying for starters. On the flip side if your aiming to restore to showroom than you'll be replacing so much in any case plus ripping it all to bits a rougher start point and have more pennies for the restoration might be the way to go.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Rob62

• SOHC Pro
  • ZZR1100D9, CB750K4, RD250F, NSR250MC21, RD350YPVS
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2019, 09:24:54 PM »
Im not trying to get into a UK v USA argument here, afterall they are all Honda’s and originate from the Honda factory in Japan.... but the condition of the USA bikes makes them easier to restore in general, obviously there will be exceptions.. ie. the examples that appear to have been stood in the roasting sun for 30 years... Regarding the milage, true you cannot guarantee it, the condition of the bike will speak for itself, if it looks like its only done a few miles and the odometer only shows a few you can be fairly confident that its genuine.... on the other hand if the bike is a wreck the milage is academic anyway... But if you want a nice sohc honda and dont want to spend 3 years and 12 grand restoring it, the USA imports will generally take some beating. Even an “easy” USA resto like mine will set you back 5 or 6 grand, i have the bills to prove it  :-\

Offline Ashdowner

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2019, 08:55:22 AM »
A rattling engine doesn't pout me off 'cos lots of them rattle in one way or another and usually a bit of balancing renders them acceptable . Refurbing the engine isn't all that difficult anyhow but the money can disappear pretty quickly into chroming and wheels and paintwork. hate to think how many uncosted hours I've put into mine 550's though 
CB550K3, CB550K1, Yamaha Midnight Star, and CA77 in 2473 pieces (at the last count)

Offline Menno

• SOHC Expert
  • www.tanklackieren.de
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2019, 08:22:38 PM »
I found this:

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/honda-cb550-four-k3-1977-winterpreis-/1071151521-305-1124

Running well with Dutch papers.
New battery, brakes working, cleaned the carbs...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal