Author Topic: Are there O-ring chains that do not rub?  (Read 519 times)

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
Are there O-ring chains that do not rub?
« on: March 18, 2019, 12:56:59 PM »
A few days ago I've asked the German site (both the CB500 and CB550 sections) what experience they have with various sealed chains (both O-ring and X- ). I will also ask the French and Italian site. I hope to report more on this in the foreseeable future. Sofar a German CB500 owner claims he has good results with a DID-VX.
I quote him in translation:
... My old chain had a 25mm width which had milled a bit of the casing. The DID-ZVMX has 24,9mm width and would also rub...
Another CB500 owner had reported he has good results with this ZVMX type [explanation Deltarider]
... That's why I went for the DID-VX which has a width of only 23,3mm and this chain runs just free. One can even get a 2/10 feeler gauge in between, when chain is fully pushed towards the casing.
I'd like to add the following remarks.
There could be a difference in clearances between the CB500 and CB550 models and even between the various CB550 models, K and F.
Both the CB500 and CB550 models can develop considerable play at the rear wheel sprocket carrier which may have an effect on the drivechain's trajectory. Please report your findings, positive and negative.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 06:49:11 PM by deltarider »

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Are there O-ring chains that do not rub?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 08:42:51 PM »
Pretty sure the last 2 chain on my cb500 were did O ring type, whatever Dave silvers sold 10 years ago as suitable, cannt recall more than that - was fitted with cb500 and cb550 engines installed. As far as I was aware there wasn't a rubbing issue. Not sure but think if was still a standard  cb500 wheel but as I have bits from both bikes kicking around as spares it could have run any mix of bits that worked on the day as the bike was commuting and doing all my shopping, trips out etc.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline flatfour

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Are there O-ring chains that do not rub?
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 08:31:41 AM »
I fitted an "O" Ring chain on a CB750 K6 that I owned some 15 years ago and experienced quite a few problems with clearance etc. Now, both the CB750 K2 and CB500 K1 that I own are equipped with the standard chain from DS. I adjust them frequently and lightly lubricate every couple of rides (probably around 100 miles between cleaning/spraying).

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal