Author Topic: Fork oil leak  (Read 541 times)

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
Fork oil leak
« on: March 21, 2019, 03:04:59 AM »
...not my week for oil weeps. (400F engine too..)
My K2 has developed a slight leak at the stanchon / fork slider seal,  despite new (DSS) aftermarket stanchions / seals 1000 miles or so ago. My guess is oil’s weeping past the seat of the seal, rather than the oil seal lip.
Is this a full stanchion out job... or is there a quick easy way of popping the seal? Certainly with no pitting and new parts I’m inclined to reseat rather than replace.
All comments welcome.
Ta.
Simon

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Fork oil leak
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 08:03:08 AM »
Was there any damage at all to the inner surface of the slider where the seal pushes in? i have seen leaks from this area when previous owners have damaged the area getting a seal out.
I recently had problems with a cbx 550 pattern seals leaking that stopped with genuine ones.
Sorry but i do not know of any way to remove seals without damaging them and you have to remove the slider

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2019, 11:33:59 AM »
Ah, thanks again Bryan - and nope, didn’t see any scoring etc of the seal seating area prior to the new seals going in. I too reckon OEM would be better, though tbh I can’t remember if the seals were... or weren’t. (And yep they were seated closed side up, ie part # exposed...)

The manuals just state an interference fit... should I add in some kind of goo / sealant, and if so... what?
Ta muchly,
Simon

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 11:57:27 AM »
I have had success by taking the sharp edges off any damage with small files and filling ang grooves with silicone.
A lot of "new" Honda seals have a garter spring both sides and you fit with any writing, size, make etc, upwards

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2019, 08:57:08 PM »
I have given up looking for fork seals that work with upsidedown forks. I have changed them three times in my Pegaso since the last MOT. There is no damage to the forks so god knows why they are persistant weepers
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2019, 07:12:55 AM »
... think I’ve saved myself a couple of days swearing and heaving... yay.
Took the circlip out (above the fork seal) and, using an electric tyre pump, popped the seal out and up the Stantion. It was messy; (pressurised) fork oil spurted out in between pressurisarions, but in the end I got a good seal and up she came. It came up slowly, and needed a circular ‘walking’ out (once unseated) using judicious use of a blunt screwdriver.
But overall... easy.
Seal and seat now all cleaned up using Isopropyl Alcohol, and put back with a little sealant.
Tomorrow the top up with fork oil.... and fingers crossed.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal