Author Topic: First impressions  (Read 2530 times)

Online JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
First impressions
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2019, 08:21:46 AM »
Interesting..

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
Re: First impressions
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2019, 08:23:07 AM »
You have to use square brackets in BBC James.

Unstructured lists work well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Online JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2019, 08:44:09 AM »
You have to use square brackets in BBC James.

Unstructured lists work well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was having a play and failed miserably. I forget you are the master Jedi

Offline kettle738

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2019, 10:27:53 AM »

Re the leaking carb, it's not always float adjustment or a suspect valve......when you have the float bowl off, take a very careful look at the thin brass overflow pipe, they have a habit of splitting along their length, it can be quite hard to see......it took me a while to find it on my K0, but when it happened to another carb it was the same thing. 

Clean it up with a fibreglass brush or similar and a tiny amount of solder, just enough to fill the crack will fix it......(low temp modelling solder was very easy to use) ......permanently thus far, and mine was repaired about four or five years ago....check the overflow is still clear and you're good to go. 

No idea if the F1 has clip on float bowls, but if so, it beats taking the carbs off......

Mick.

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2019, 11:30:03 AM »

Re the leaking carb, it's not always float adjustment or a suspect valve......when you have the float bowl off, take a very careful look at the thin brass overflow pipe, they have a habit of splitting along their length, it can be quite hard to see......it took me a while to find it on my K0, but when it happened to another carb it was the same thing. 

Clean it up with a fibreglass brush or similar and a tiny amount of solder, just enough to fill the crack will fix it......(low temp modelling solder was very easy to use) ......permanently thus far, and mine was repaired about four or five years ago....check the overflow is still clear and you're good to go. 

No idea if the F1 has clip on float bowls, but if so, it beats taking the carbs off......

Mick.

The same can happen with the brass tube that goes up into the tank from the petrol tap for some reason.

Offline davefirestorm

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2019, 01:06:34 PM »
Float bowls on my F has clip on bowls,on investigation I’ve found the petrol tank seems to have been messed around with regarding where the fuel tap screws on the base.There is a right hand threaded boss with a nut right hand thread one end and left hand thread the other end and the tap is left hand thread think they’re 18mm threads [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 01:10:27 PM by davefirestorm »
Honda CB650Z
Honda F6C Valkyrie

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2019, 02:18:18 PM »
I swopped the petrol; tank on my 76 F1 for an F2 tank, the taps are different sizes, the F1 tap is on the left, F2 on the right.

Also if the tank has been corroded watch out for the filters that are just under the float vale in the carb as mine were plugged up, see below.

Cheers

Dennis
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 02:26:01 PM by Spitfire »
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline davefirestorm

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2019, 07:38:23 PM »
Tap is on left on both tanks I have.The tap in use at moment has the left hand male thread on it but the male thread on the tank is right hand threaded,anybody confirm this is correct/incorrect.Seem to have cured my fuel leak by stripping/cleaning the tap and putting correct size hose on the previous owner had fitted hose too large inner diameter and fuel leaked from joints,hopefully the leak from overflows has gone after a good longish run.
Honda CB650Z
Honda F6C Valkyrie

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2019, 09:09:43 PM »
If the tap is an F1 item, that is correct. The theory being the top half of the nut is right hand thread, the bottom half that attaches to the tap is left hand thread, that way the tap contacts the tank join far faster.

Sent from my X6pro using Tapatalk

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline davefirestorm

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2019, 10:08:30 PM »
Thanks for that.Won’t be bunging an F1 tap on the “new” tank then as it has a righ5 hand 16 mm thread on it,new Superdream one it will be then.
Honda CB650Z
Honda F6C Valkyrie

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal