Author Topic: First time restoration !  (Read 1321 times)

Offline russ_fae_fyvie

• View Profile
First time restoration !
« on: September 29, 2020, 07:05:39 PM »
Hi
Looking for advice on taking on my first restoration.
Bit of background, been riding Hondas since 1976 when Ipassed my test, I had a CB250G5 (had a C90, CD75 before that) and then progressed to CB750K7, VF1000 and various others and currently have a 1998 Blackbird with 95k miles on since I got it new.
Anyway, originally I was looking for my old 750 but as I couldn't find it (its SORNed and with no MOT somewhere)so I thought of getting another 750 to restore.
However as its my first I don't want to run before I can walk so thought maybe a CB250G5 would be a better way to start, plus they are cheaper as are the parts.
So is one of those a good way to dip my toes into the restoration game, I'm 67 and work part time and over the winter will be looking for stuff to do so thought this might stop me getting too bored !
Or should I bite the bullet and go for something bigger ?
Everyone has to start somewhere !
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 07:32:20 PM by russ_fae_fyvie »

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: First time restoration !
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2020, 07:54:46 PM »
I think i have a G5 Honda workshop manual you can have cheap if you want it

Offline gbjeppm

• 1978 CB550K3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2020, 08:00:53 PM »

Or should I bite the bullet and go for something bigger ?
Everyone has to start somewhere !

My view is buy what you want, and what you will be happy to ride when it is done.

Matt

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2020, 08:15:52 PM »
As above, which would you hanker after if you see yourself out riding it next summer?

Cost aside, I've never seen any of the fours as intrinsically more difficult to work on,  they are conceptually just more of the same really and pretty easy to dismantle and resemble.

Perhaps a 400 four to split the difference would make a good balance all round of the variables.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2020, 08:19:51 PM »
Also the 400 would probably give you more of an insightful look into dipping your hands into a four

Very good engine build thread on here too from Julie to look through,  extremely informative.

Easy to sell and take on a 750 after that experience,  or just very good to own anyway.

Offline cooleronthecoast

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2020, 08:27:24 PM »
I would get the bike that appeals to you as something you would enjoy riding when the resto is complete just as much as the resto itself.  Don't be put off by taking on a 4 cylinder bike, there are plenty of very knowledgeable people here who will keep you on the straight and narrow.  Good luck
Now where did I put that 10mm socket?

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2020, 12:57:55 AM »
Any 550 except the K3 model has plenty of parts about and 550 normaly cheaper than 500.
G5 can be a real pig to work on and some parts are very difficult to get and expensive

Offline russ_fae_fyvie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2020, 10:01:39 AM »
Many thanks for the replies guys, some pointers there for me.

Just another question, any thoughts on bikes that DK Classic Motorcycles sell ?

They have containers on bikes in now and again and put them on their Ebay shop, seen a few on there but wondered if anyone had used the and are they any good ?

As I live over 400 miles from their place not practical to go and look so would have to rely on photos and a phone conversation so any thoughts on them would be appreciated as well

cheers

Offline paul G

• SOHC Master
  • No room left in the garage what now !
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2020, 10:10:40 AM »
Just another pointer on the 750 as I don't know your health etc but the 750 is a heavy bugger and take some moving around.
Don't ask me how I know  ;)
Honda CB400 4
Honda CB550 K3 (sold)
Honda CB750 UK K1
Kawasaki Z650 C2
Kawasaki Z650 cafe racer (Sold)
Honda CD175 sloper

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2020, 10:59:56 AM »
As has been said buy a bike you will be happy with my last ride was a XJ900F I sold it when I started to struggle pulling it onto the centre stand.

I went for a CB400F restoration as it is a much lighter bike plus it still has some oomph!
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2020, 12:42:42 PM »
I have bought parts from DK and they seem honest and truthfull. American bikes can be a minefield as they dont seem to believe in routine servicing over there andthey also tend to put them away in their version of a shed when not very old and leave them there.
Having said that i have had several bikes from Dave Silver and not had a problem with any of them, he still has a section of bikes for sale and does an "as is" or "on the road but needs finishing" price. He may be even farther away from you though!!

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2020, 01:48:03 PM »
I have only bought a few things from DK and I'm sure there are members who have bought several bikes from them who can give you more accurate feedback - but here's my experience.
I reiterate what Bryan says - they have been thruthful and honest with me. I bought a K2 frame from them (to build my CR Rep) and there was damage to the downtubes (where one of those huge Windjammer fairing brackets had squashed the tube slightly) - they replaced without question and said keep the other frame (sold to a member who repaired it). Also bought my 500k2 from them and that so far appears to suffer from the American owner bodges described by Bryan - ie, twin horns fitted by drilling through the frame! (to be welded).
You just have to accept that if you are buying off pictures, you take your chances relative to a sensible price bid/paid. They also start them using carb cleaner and not sure thats a good idea bearing in mind that they have stood for years - not a problem for me as I normally rebuild the motor anyway.
Hope that helps and good luck whichever way you go
Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

Offline russ_fae_fyvie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2020, 03:01:30 PM »
Thanks again, looking around they do seem one of the few that actually state the engine turns/runs etc but needs work which is ok if you know about it.

Some sellers on eBay say engine seized, which although honest sounds like a big problem looming !!

Again thanks for all the comments, I am looking forward to getting stuck into something !

Offline Mag1

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2020, 10:26:44 PM »
I brought an imported bike from DK and to be true fully honest it’s better than they said, engine was not locked up, most original parts still there, just the silly looking king and queen seat being the only non-original part, comfortable yes, but not my taste even the delivery to highlands was reasonable. But yes they start the bikes with carb cleaner?, but I would do a top end check anyway for my own sanity. If you see something you like then go for it, but stick to a budget, as there are many more they have.

Good luck
Honda CB750K7 1977
Yamaha XS750e 1977
Vespa 100 (being restored)

Offline bruxby-clive

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2020, 12:27:22 PM »
I would agree with Mag1, I bought my CB500K2 from D&K and it was much better than I thought it would be, they delivered it at the agreed time and date and it is the only old bike I have bought that not one fastener was seized solid and snapped, when being dismantled. I would buy from them again.
Just because you are breathing, doesn't mean you are alive.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal