Author Topic: A Golden Age  (Read 1748 times)

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
Re: A Golden Age
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2019, 07:34:53 PM »
I think Dick traded in his CB750 for a BMW 1000RS. Murray Walker also had one (in the gold colour). Both bikers 👍.
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline adespin

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2019, 09:06:09 PM »
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

He also had a Z1, certainly liked his bikes.

I wonder who has his Honda now?

Sorry gone off track a bit with this thread.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 09:28:29 PM by adespin »
1971 cb750 K1

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2019, 08:08:57 AM »
I paid some rip-off price to get that B&W Emery bike photo without the 'alamy' logo on it .. so if anyone wants a copy PM me.

I spoke to a bloke last year who was the head mechanic at Freddy Frith's (Honda dealer) in Grimsby and he said that Dick Emery popped in when he was in pantomime in Cleethorpes for a test ride on the then new CB750. He then went back to London and bought the one in the picture from Tippetts of Surbiton. Evidently there was a photo of him test riding in Grimsby but the chap can't find it.

He told me that  very early on, the 1st time they had to go inside the CB750 engine was when an airbox nut came off and ended up in the engine somehow (this was a recall in one of the Service Bulletins ... so a known problem)

The link below is old hat  but for newer members it took a lot of tracking down on my part,  so here goes again with apologies to those who have seen it before. Dick reviewing the Tamiya CB750 model kit for Meccano Magazine in 1971.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/puajxcyc1aarmfp/Meccano%20Magazine.pdf?dl=0
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 09:53:46 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2019, 08:53:29 AM »
The Honda doesnot appear on the MoT database, so has not been on the road after 2005, perhaps in a collection somewhere, the KJawasaki was last tested in 2010 and is on sorn, again in a collection??

Offline adespin

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2019, 09:49:47 AM »
I paid some rip-off price to get that B&W Emery bike photo without the 'alamy' logo on it .. so if anyone wants a copy PM me.

I spoke to a bloke last year who was the head mechanic at Freddy Frith's (Honda dealer) in Grimsby and he said that Dick Emery popped in when he was in pantomime in Cleethorpes for a test ride on the then new CB750. He then went back to London and bought the one in the picture from Tippetts of Surbiton. Evidently there was a photo of him test riding in Grimsby but the chap can't find it.

He told me that  very early on, the 1st time they had to go inside the CB750 engine was when an airbox nut came off and ended up in the engine somehow (this was a recall in one of the Service Bulletins ... so a known problem)

The is old hat below but for newer members it took a lot of tracking down on my part,  so here goes again with apologies to those who have seen it before. Dick reviewing the Tamiya CB750 model kit for Meccano Magazine.

The whole magazine is a very interesting read, thanks for posting.
1971 cb750 K1

Offline andy120t

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2019, 12:48:06 PM »
...at 1minute 20seconds in, how does Tom manage to pull away without holding the throttle?!    Must have a very slow return spring...
andy120t

CB550f/k
Zephyr 550
ZX6R G1
GSXR 7/11 - I need to sell it
Triumph 5TA - and this..

Offline adespin

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2019, 01:31:34 PM »
I was wondering exactly the same thing, and he does it more than once, maybe a rusty throttle cable through rideing to work in the rain every day.
1971 cb750 K1

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2019, 06:50:23 PM »

The is old hat below but for newer members it took a lot of tracking down on my part,  so here goes again with apologies to those who have seen it before. Dick reviewing the Tamiya CB750 model kit for Meccano Magazine.

The whole magazine is a very interesting read, thanks for posting.
Wow. The Jetex jet engine I had forgotten about them. I never did get mine to do anything but a fierce fart then go out.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2019, 07:12:18 PM »
Interesting how enthusiastic Emery wasn't about bikes.

Presumably youve seen the above illustration of the 750 Ash.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal