Author Topic: Recommended Source for Condensers  (Read 1515 times)

Offline adespin

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Recommended Source for Condensers
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2020, 12:45:38 PM »
Very interesting overview to consider

http://nonlintec.com/sprite/cap_failure/

It's not unusual it appears that condenser quality is an issue for others too.

Interesting that the physical construction in his view is not particularly tolerant to vibrations,  and possibly the differential between originally supplied Honda components.

It looks like much of currently available components are just not matching OE fit regardless of how much they cost.

That is a very interesting article, i now know what is going on inside a condenser and why they fail. We are at the mercy of cheap shoddy goods, probably made in China regardless of what it says on the box.
1971 cb750 K1

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2020, 12:51:57 PM »
I used to use Lucas car condensers, as fitted to Morris Minors or Landrover petrol engines. Used to cost around £1 each at the time, and genuine Honda ones were around a tenner each at that time. Like Bryan I fitted them beside the coils, and they never failed there. I think the heat and vibration of the original location was often the reason for failing.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2020, 01:33:01 PM »
I'm wondering if Hondamans system protects the condensers better due to the reduction in voltage etc.

I've asked him as I haven't heard from him for a while about the systems I wanted to order.

Yes,  it (as far as I can determine) takes the condenser completely out of use while it's in operation.  The points opening is just used as a signal of timing to his electronics, so switching virtually no load at all (the reason a condenser is needed) just being used to provide a pulse on time to trigger the additional system which are doing all the donkey work in switching the coils. 

His system replicates points open time, dwell etc electronically if I understand the details correctly.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2020, 01:47:10 PM »
In a very similar way,  the rover V8 electronic distributor uses one of these in the link.

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-STC1184KBP--SelectedCurrency-1?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgpvQhOTR6gIViK3tCh0CfgS0EAQYAiABEgJlJvD_BwE

It effectively does the same as the hondaman unit (but for just one channel) takes a pulse from timing trigger,  which is a non contact magnetic type instead of points,  then uses the above unit to handle all the coil switching load. 

In theory,  you could just use two of these,  one for each point set to run the Honda coil switching,  that's if they'll accept the points pulse form.

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2020, 10:27:33 AM »
I have very old condensers in my bike and they have never before failed.  I like the tip about keeping old ones, seems to be the same for a lot of electrical components nowadays.

Offline Skoti

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2020, 01:05:45 PM »
During a service I renewed my original Honda points and condensers with Daiichi, Japanese made stuff.

About 1000 miles later the fuel consumption went up and I discovered the timing was out slightly and points badly pitted compared to the original Honda stuff I'd just removed (which were probably OK).

Fitted a digital Boyer back then about 8 years ago and no problems since.

Just looked at the old Honda points and they are stamped with 'TEC' brand mark, the condensers have no brand mark tho.

Motorcycling is Life, anything B4 or after is just waiting...

1976 Honda CB750F1

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2020, 01:31:44 PM »
There's some shocking ignition components about generally.

Rotor arms for a car engine I work with are a prime case,  with some coming out of their box pre-failed  ;D and even if they do work it's not for long.  Somebody's making the crap though and many supply lines stock them. Borderline criminal if someone gets a failure at critical traffic point,  perhaps with their family in the car.

Diagnosing it on forum too is a problem for the less skilled,  as we can see and know it's failed from tracing the HT path,  but they then buy a "new" rotor arm (that's failed prior to delivery  ;D) put that in and surprise,  surprise it doesn't fix it. Drives us all nuts on the forum.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal