Author Topic: Battery choice  (Read 1237 times)

Offline Genniker

• 500/4
    • View Profile
Re: Battery choice
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2019, 09:49:51 AM »
Thanks for all the replies, think it's a choice for me to make between a Yuasa or Varta. Have a leaning to Varta, but only on the basis that I'e got one in the car and that's performed well for nigh on 7 years. Having now narrowed it down to two makes, do I go wet or AGM?

Maybe it's more of a car issue (ie without the backup kiskstart option) but still interested in thoughts of going for a higher AH rating than specified?

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2019, 10:06:59 AM »
Not easy to get higher AH in same size

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2019, 10:15:07 AM »
I go with the higher capacity if it is same sise casing as normal generally. 

I came to Varta through same route as you,  had original fit on a diesel car that ran 11yrs and over hundred thousand miles before it showed down enough to need changing for reliability. That was an AGM one,  which I thought was impressive.

Inadvertently left the park light on my bike (that bit on ignition on mine where you leave the key in Park mode :-[ ) for a couple of days,  measured 0.12volts after that and recharged fine. Now four yrs old, Varta AGM  they just seem well made.

Buying Yuasa from Half fords, their guarantee are usually well supported from my experience of taking batteries back (non Yuasa)  as long as you have receipt.  They have Yuasa branded test kit a my local one that tests it on vehicula and gives print out of volts, capacity,  cranking amps,  alternator output etc,  quite useful diagnostic data.

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2019, 11:31:32 AM »
For me Yuasa. They can last some 7 years. When you choose another, pay attention to the terminals! A mistake is easily made and in case you need an extra adapter, there's the risk the PLUS will be too close to and eventually ground to the frame. It's not worth it. And as far as acid, although a new breather tube has been included each time, I never bothered to fit it: the original is still on (stonehard now :D). BTW, you don't need extra Ah at all. If your bike (or any Japanese bike of that era) does not start say within 7 seconds, you might as well stop and look for the cause rightaway because there WILL be one (often the kill switch :D).

Offline davefirestorm

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2019, 12:33:08 PM »
Yuasa do 2 different output batteries for another bike I have so check if one for yours is available
Honda CB650Z
Honda F6C Valkyrie

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal