Author Topic: Redex  (Read 1542 times)

Offline deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
Redex
« on: April 28, 2019, 10:27:13 AM »
Was in the UK to do some sailing (Solent). When it was my turn to do the shopping, I spotted Redex 2 shot bottles in a local Asda. If I understood it well, the 250 ml is good for 4 tank fillings.
I say, that's not bad for £ 3,-.

Offline gtmdriver

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Redex
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2019, 10:34:43 AM »
Memories! I thought Redex was extinct.

I remember my dad always used to ask for a shot of Redex in the tank of his BSA B33 every time he filled up with petrol.

Offline Rob62

• SOHC Pro
  • ZZR1100D9, CB750K4, RD250F, NSR250MC21, RD350YPVS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 09:54:32 PM »
Definitely not extinct but probably a very different formula to the old “jet of redex please” stuff that our dad’s used to ask for.... i put a glug in the CB tank now and then to keep the carbon at bay.... i reckon it can do no harm

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2019, 08:04:51 AM »
Works wonders on a cb500/4 with intermittent carb overflow issues. They do various formulations, redex lead replacement, injector cleaner, carb cleaner and fuel system cleaner then theres redex diesel. My dad used to take mpg very seriously with his BMW r80rt, he reaconed that there was just about enough extra mpg from using it to justify the cost setting aside the fact BMW were about 20  years late fitting valve seats that could cope without lead. I just took this on board and ran my BMW's with redex regardless of if valve seats were hardened type, the Honda however just got redex if the carbs dribbled. Price varies a lot. Definitely has benefits both on diesel and petrols - toughest test is use  it in a hand cranked diesel - the  transformation there is amazing.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline paulbaker1954

• SOHC Pro
  • I'll just be 5 minutes dear!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2019, 11:00:42 PM »
Works wonders on a cb500/4 with intermittent carb overflow issues. They do various formulations, redex lead replacement, injector cleaner, carb cleaner and fuel system cleaner then theres redex diesel. My dad used to take mpg very seriously with his BMW r80rt, he reaconed that there was just about enough extra mpg from using it to justify the cost setting aside the fact BMW were about 20  years late fitting valve seats that could cope without lead. I just took this on board and ran my BMW's with redex regardless of if valve seats were hardened type, the Honda however just got redex if the carbs dribbled. Price varies a lot. Definitely has benefits both on diesel and petrols - toughest test is use  it in a hand cranked diesel - the  transformation there is amazing.

Matthew which variant of Redex do you use?
If you think there's light at the end of the tunnel it's usually another train !!

2016 Yamaha MT09 Tracer
1971 Honda CB500 Four K0

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2019, 12:39:36 AM »
Carb cleaner 1st choice but since Tesco's etc mostly stock fuel system cleaner that's what I use most of the time. The diesel treatments good on old diesel plant machinery too. On the bmws I ran the lead replacement just in case but no need on these old Hondas.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2019, 10:11:58 AM »
Might be snake oil but I use Redex regularly, not every time but almost.  Agree with Matthew about overflow issues, works its magic on 350 and 400/4 too.  I’ve just put this MG RV8 back on the road after a 20 year slumber.  Ran like bag of soot at first but the injector version of Redex has improved things no end -still not perfect yet.  Might give it an Italian Tune Up this afternoon.

Ian

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2019, 10:28:10 AM »
Before anyone else asks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2019, 02:34:11 PM »
Does he mean me?

Which bit then?

Snake oil? Often claimed to be the elixir of life - summat what’s not what it’s claimed to be!
Bag of soot? Just a bit more acceptable to most than ‘Bag of shite’
Italian Tune Up? Clearing out years of carbon build up from pootling around by sustained high (enough) revs in a lower gear - or top if you have enough runway!

Ian

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2019, 10:21:09 PM »
Nah, the Italian tune up is pouring neat redex down the carb throat whilst holding the throttle wide open--------- only to be attempted out in the "wilds" due to large quatities of smog

Offline paulbaker1954

• SOHC Pro
  • I'll just be 5 minutes dear!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2019, 10:52:31 PM »
I have been using Marvels Mystery oil which is supposed to have some secret mystery ingredient LOL

Anyone else come across this stuff?

Very popular in the US and I originally bought a bottle to try and free my seized engine (which it didn’t) and just using up what is left
If you think there's light at the end of the tunnel it's usually another train !!

2016 Yamaha MT09 Tracer
1971 Honda CB500 Four K0

Offline jon stead

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2019, 09:10:41 AM »
I have been using Marvels Mystery oil which is supposed to have some secret mystery ingredient LOL

Anyone else come across this stuff?

Very popular in the US and I originally bought a bottle to try and free my seized engine (which it didn’t) and just using up what is left

Yes. Came accross it on an offshore oil rig that had been operated by Americans. We used to use it as a penetrating fluid. Can’t say it was any better or worse than WD 40
2015 Triumph Bonneville T100 Newchurch

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2019, 12:55:08 PM »
These things are just amusing,  all the different brands,  that claim so much.

It's OK if the content of the tin gives you something convenient to use,  but they ain't in any way magic.

Most are just using Naphtha as a solvent to get the stuff into place,  some are just mineral oil which remains when solvent evaporates.

As I understand it,  nothing dissolves carbon, but any gumming, varnishing etc that can be holding it in place in some circumstances may become dissolved by the solvent in use.  The other components may physically flush it out under mechanical dynamics (thrashing it)  if it can be released.

Edit :- with link to safety data sheets that shows 60% plus is one component,  solvent.

http://www.marvelmysteryoil.com/sds/

Make a nice corporate logo that looks like "ye olde oil company" 25 pence of solvent content plus the rest of 15 quid in marketing and puff,  keeer-ching goes the business  :)

The big named one beginning with WD looks like just the same from its data sheet,  mineral oil left on surface after solvent evaporates.  OK if you want it but nothing special.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 03:21:00 PM by K2-K6 »

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2019, 03:35:34 PM »
From a marketing aspect MMO is owned by Turtle Wax Inc, according to the originator of their MSDS documentation,  pure branding really. How strong is voice of customer and making it mysterious  :)

Bit like De-Walt being blackanddecker.

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2019, 03:54:51 PM »
These things are just amusing,  all the different brands,  that claim so much.

It's OK if the content of the tin gives you something convenient to use,  but they ain't in any way magic.

Most are just using Naphtha as a solvent to get the stuff into place,  some are just mineral oil which remains when solvent evaporates.

As I understand it,  nothing dissolves carbon, but any gumming, varnishing etc that can be holding it in place in some circumstances may become dissolved by the solvent in use.  The other components may physically flush it out under mechanical dynamics (thrashing it)  if it can be released.

Edit :- with link to safety data sheets that shows 60% plus is one component,  solvent.

http://www.marvelmysteryoil.com/sds/

Make a nice corporate logo that looks like "ye olde oil company" 25 pence of solvent content plus the rest of 15 quid in marketing and puff,  keeer-ching goes the business  :)

The big named one beginning with WD looks like just the same from its data sheet,  mineral oil left on surface after solvent evaporates.  OK if you want it but nothing special.

Safety Data Sheets don't reveal all. Not all ingredients have to be listed in the safety data sheets so there could well be some magic stuff in the can.  ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal