Author Topic: Route back to the road (after 30 years layup)  (Read 827 times)

Offline Genniker

• 500/4
    • View Profile
Route back to the road (after 30 years layup)
« on: April 27, 2019, 09:21:58 PM »
I thought I’d chronicle the journey to get my recently acquired 500/4 back on the road. It will be something of an occasional series as this is a project to be worked on around other commitments. It will give me a bit of a spur to get on and do this, whilst also providing the opportunity to bombard experienced forumites with questions.

The bike looks very original, the only thing missing (so far) is the inner caliper for the front disk. (First question; how easy is it to get hold of one of those?)

The prime aim is to get the bike back on the road; any thoughts to get to concours condition will follow on an as and when basis; but the restoration will be done well as this will be a ‘keeper’

First step was to get the carbs off which was a job in-itself. Bowls off, and its doesn’t look to bad.

First batch of questions
1.   Happy to tidy up and clean the bowl and jets, but the slider section looks more complicated. Could I get away with comprehensive spraying of carb cleaner of the top half to save full dismantling?

2.   Mindful that this is not going back to concours, the aluminium castings are dull and have a white ‘frosting’ to them. I was going to clean with wire-wool and oil. Any alternatives for me to consider?

3.   Inside of the tank and the chrome are rusted. I’ve looked at options and like the look of deox c rust remover. Any thoughts or alternatives?

4.    A basic rebuild question, although most of the bolts unscrewed easily, would like to reassemble with a coating to make subsequent dismantling easier.   A spray WD40 or the like the way to go; or silicone?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 10:00:50 PM by Genniker »

Offline Genniker

• 500/4
    • View Profile
Re: Route back to the road (after 30 years layup)
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 09:25:46 PM »
Learning how to master adding photos!

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2019, 09:42:37 PM »
Inner part of caliper same as 400 and 550 four also 500 twin, in fact còmplete caliper same. Complete pattern caliper available at Dave Silver who will become your sort of friend and your wife will think he is blackmailing you.
For carbs buy new Honda carb to head rubbers and pattern airbox to carb ones, as long as all slides move freely you have a chance of just removing and cleaning the jets etc but all that green yeulk has to go.
Buy coppaslip(tin not tube) to coat bolt threads NOT TORQUE CRITICAL ONES.

Other andwers when im not so worn out!!!

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2019, 10:03:32 PM »
You will need a bit more than carb cleaner to get those spotless. You will also need a carb kit as, if it has been standing for that length of time the brass will not be in good condition.
Have been building a set up today  ;)

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline paulbaker1954

• SOHC Pro
  • I'll just be 5 minutes dear!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2019, 10:39:58 PM »
Get yourself an ultrasonic cleaner
If you think there's light at the end of the tunnel it's usually another train !!

2016 Yamaha MT09 Tracer
1971 Honda CB500 Four K0

Offline Rob62

• SOHC Pro
  • ZZR1100D9, CB750K4, RD250F, NSR250MC21, RD350YPVS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2019, 09:04:58 AM »
If you’re aiming for concourse get your wallet ready as it will cost you an arm and a leg and it could take years, and then you won’t dare ride it afterwards.... just go for a nice clean up and make a tidy rider to enjoy 😉.. good luck with the resto!

Offline Genniker

• 500/4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2019, 01:27:25 PM »
Plan is back to the road first; hopefully carb, points, fuel tank, battery; fire it up, balance it all up. Detailing to follow at my leisure.

Offline Genniker

• 500/4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2019, 10:18:55 AM »
First of my ‘newbie’ questions: is there a ‘go to’ aftermarket plug spanner is should get? Or is there so clever work-around?

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2019, 11:11:33 AM »
I use a 12mm plug socket.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2019, 11:31:39 AM »
First of my ‘newbie’ questions: is there a ‘go to’ aftermarket plug spanner is should get? Or is there so clever work-around?

Dave Silver does a copy Honda plug spanner,

recommend  Cruzimage for Carb kits .

quick delivery from Japan ,and very reasonable price ,

lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2019, 09:26:37 PM »
Depends if you want just the plug socket or have a vacancy for a little more.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A-15GOTH-Go-Through-Socket-Set-Ratchet-Spline-6-12-Square-Double-Hex-Nuts-Torx/222660670214?hash=item33d79c3306:g:yvoAAOSwrWNZzkYu&redirect=mobile

I've used things like this more recently as the std sockets pass over spark plugs.  The ratchet can be flipped so that it clears the frame on those centre two plugs also.

The one I've got has been discontinued but this looks to be the same set as different brand. It's just generally very useful in some restricted areas as a good addition to tool set. Also available via Am a zon if it helps  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal