Author Topic: Zero Over Head Cams  (Read 628 times)

Offline Rob62

• SOHC Pro
  • ZZR1100D9, CB750K4, RD250F, NSR250MC21, RD350YPVS
    • View Profile
Zero Over Head Cams
« on: May 05, 2019, 09:07:28 PM »
Since restoring my CB750K4 last summer I have hardly touched any of my other bikes, each time I go to the garage she attracts my attention and off we bimble for a nice relaxing cruise. But today, after acquiring a fresh MOT on Saturday, I decided to have a quick run on my NSR250. Well I know she is fast and sporty but I had forgotten how much. As soon as the road opens up she is urging you to go faster and rev higher, corner faster, brake harder etc. The bike has superb suspension and brakes and goes like hell and if you’re not careful can really bring out the hooligan. I think I’ll put her back to the far end of the garage and stick to the CB... I’m not a particularly brave or fast rider and I reckon I’ll be safer on the CB  8)

Offline masonmart

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Zero Over Head Cams
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 06:12:46 PM »
The biggest loss in biking was when 2 strokes became environmentally unacceptable and when the rise and rise of ultra powerful muscle bikes changed biking tastes. As you say, the lightness and power curve make them handle brilliantly and accelerate really quickly while making a sound that is biking heaven. They also develop riding skills that aren't needed on big 4Ts like having to stay in a sharp and well defined power band even when cornering. Until last year I had an RS250 Aprillia which after years of 4Ts I rode very badly until getting back into riding it. Now I use a Kawasaki Avenger 350cc which is much kinder as the disc valves give torque down to below 5k rpm.

My advice is carry on using your NSR regularly, they are a very precious memento from a different but excellent time. Lightweight and middleweight bikes were superb and are ideal now but they need to be the very fastest ones because the average speed of traffic now can be high and modern cars stop on a tanner.
Dresda CB500-4, 605 cc
CB-77, 350 cc
1968 Bonneville
1976 Thruxton Velocette
1974 Kawasaki Avenger
1997 VFR 750

Offline steff750

• SOHC Expert
  • THE POWER OF DREAMS
    • View Profile
Re: Zero Over Head Cams
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 11:59:53 PM »
 ;) yes I have ridden the NSR 400 very nice on the open road but a bugger around town .I have also ridden the CBR 250 which is a much more user friendly( with its gear driven camshaft )than the two strokes . but that might be my old age kicking in
  there was a good series on tv a few months back called "the unrideables" showing the GP 500 highsideing all the top riders at the time they was so unpredictable like throwing a light switch  :o as you say good old bad days that will never return unfortunately, them riders are the real heroes no traction control ,anti wheelie, and slipper clutches for them guys 8)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal