Author Topic: Change Fluid Brake  (Read 853 times)

Offline Piki

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Change Fluid Brake
« on: May 07, 2019, 11:48:01 AM »
Hello, I would like “upgrade” my front Brake oil fluid to a “silicone fluid brake” my question is if I have to change all “tubes/pipes” of the circuit or I only need drain the “oil front brake fluid” and refill it with silicone fluid.
Thank you.

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Change Fluid Brake
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 12:07:38 PM »
My understanding is that you can't have any trace of dot4 fluid left in the system or it will contaminate the new silicone fluid. You would have to fit all new hoses and seals throughout the whole system. Very expensive for no real advantage.
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 02:47:08 PM »
And it boils at a lower temperature or so im told

Offline Piki

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 03:10:29 PM »
Thank you for the answers mates!

Offline kent400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2019, 11:18:24 AM »
When I changed to silicone fluid I had replaced master cylinder and caliper seals but not the hoses. That was ten years ago and there's been no problem.  The front brake lamp switch did however fail a couple of years ago but whether that was or was not a result of changing to silicone fluid I couldn't say. The main advantage with silicone fluid is that it won't damage paintwork and we all know how careful we need to be when bleeding or topping up the brake fluid with a master cylinder is close proximity to the fuel tank.   

Offline gtmdriver

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2019, 05:50:53 PM »
I have used Automec silicone fluid in all my vehicles for a number of years now.

Here's Automec's description of their product.

"Unlike standard, glycol based, clutch/brake fluid, Automec DOT 5 - silicone fluid is non - hygroscopic which means it does not absorb moisture. This will help prevent corrosion in the system and, under heavy braking conditions, it tends not to boil. Also, it won't harm paintwork if spilt.

NOTE; It is completely safe to mix Automec DOT 5 silicone clutch/brake fluid with standard, Glycol based, clutch/brake fluid. However, in order to obtain the maximum performance benefits, it is best to drain the brake system refill with Automec Dot 5 silicone fluid."

Ideally the system should be clean but if you drain out the old fluid first then bleed the silicone fluid through thoroughly you should be fine.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2019, 07:11:44 PM »
I have been using OKE brake DOT 5 silicone for sometime now and have always thought about flushing the old stuff out but, have found that it doesn't mix.

Old fluid at the bottom, silicone sitting on top  ;)

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline Piki

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2019, 07:15:10 AM »
I have used Automec silicone fluid in all my vehicles for a number of years now.

Here's Automec's description of their product.

"Unlike standard, glycol based, clutch/brake fluid, Automec DOT 5 - silicone fluid is non - hygroscopic which means it does not absorb moisture. This will help prevent corrosion in the system and, under heavy braking conditions, it tends not to boil. Also, it won't harm paintwork if spilt.

NOTE; It is completely safe to mix Automec DOT 5 silicone clutch/brake fluid with standard, Glycol based, clutch/brake fluid. However, in order to obtain the maximum performance benefits, it is best to drain the brake system refill with Automec Dot 5 silicone fluid."

Ideally the system should be clean but if you drain out the old fluid first then bleed the silicone fluid through thoroughly you should be fine.

Fantastic!!

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2019, 12:50:13 PM »
Every day's a school day.  8)
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal