Author Topic: Starter clutch problem.  (Read 443 times)

Offline Mike on a bike

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Starter clutch problem.
« on: May 11, 2019, 09:44:29 PM »
Hello to you my learned colleagues, I had a problem with the starter clutch and after stripping found the springs were completely knackered. I replaced them with new springs and all was good. The bike has stood for about 3 years since then due to the build. Everything is all back together again and I recently tried to get the engine running again. The clutch was working as it should for quite a few spins then suddenly it went back to sounding like a bag of spanners again and refused to turn over the engine. I have stripped it again and can't visibly see or feel anything wrong with the clutch assembly but I did find the large clutch sprocket to be floating on the spindle. It engages as it should but this float is now worrying me, should there be some sort of spacer there to stop this floating? I hope the pictures explain my problem better.
I'm not a complete idiot.....some parts are still missing.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Starter clutch problem.
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 11:18:38 PM »
There is no spacer on the big gear but you appear to be missing the large diameter hardened washer that goes outboard of the intermediate gear.
"Skipping" can be flats on the big gear machined surface and/or the rollers in the starter clutch, it is also not unheard of for the clutch assembly to come loose on the rotor.
Best to change springs, caps and rollers as a set if problems arise

Offline Mike on a bike

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 11:45:21 PM »
I have the large diameter hardened washer, I took it off to show a clearer picture of the cogs.
I'm a bit reluctant to spend over £40 on the roller kit to find out it is not the problem.  :(
I'm not a complete idiot.....some parts are still missing.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2019, 06:05:57 AM »
As Bryan says, Flat spots on the rollers or the cog  ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal