Author Topic: There is a CB750F god  (Read 2578 times)

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: There is a CB750F god
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2019, 08:20:03 PM »
I bought 2 full exhaust systems from D.S.S. in 1987, including all clamps, brackets gaskets etc, £148 each plus vat (15%). Put one set on my bike, sold the other on in the mid 90's for £450, thinking I'd done alright out of that. Wish I'd kept the second set now to sell today!  The downpipes/collector on their own were £39+ vat at that point.

Sent from my X6pro using Tapatalk

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline dave400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2019, 08:50:02 PM »
I bought 2 full exhaust systems from D.S.S. in 1987, including all clamps, brackets gaskets etc, £148 each plus vat (15%). Put one set on my bike, sold the other on in the mid 90's for £450, thinking I'd done alright out of that. Wish I'd kept the second set now to sell today!  The downpipes/collector on their own were £39+ vat at that point.

I bought  a complete system for my 400 from DSS for less than 400 quid about 15 years ago and 500 miles in 1980 something my Honda dealer wanted 1200 quid for a full system....I bought a Motad system back then but it never sounded the same.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2019, 07:53:28 AM »

I bought  a complete system for my 400 from DSS for less than 400 quid about 15 years ago and 500 miles in 1980 something my Honda dealer wanted 1200 quid for a full system....I bought a Motad system back then but it never sounded the same.

I remember the price for a full 400/4 system in the mid eighties being what Hairy quoted and that's when I bought mine. What happened was that Honda, for some reason, totally  slashed their prices on exhausts around that time ..so much  so that  I thought it was too good to be true (I read it in MCM that they had done this).  It was a massive discount at the time, so that would explain the vast difference in price  between what Dave was quoted earlier in the 80's. Still cost me more than I paid for the bike though  ;D
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 07:55:32 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2019, 08:49:15 AM »
I know someone who worked for a company that operated landfill sites in that era. One of them near the central UK warehouse and they dumped huge quantity of parts via that route, also sent staff to ensure nothing left the site and was buried while they where there.

I'd guess that spares prices on some things gave them a serious overstock which just costs money to store. If you store and account for inventory long enough then the cost of selling it can't match what you've payed to store it,  pure accounting view just looks at cost versus profit, and says cut the cost! :(

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2019, 08:59:15 AM »
I know someone who worked for a company that operated landfill sites in that era. One of them near the central UK warehouse and they dumped huge quantity of parts via that route, also sent staff to ensure nothing left the site and was buried while they where there.

I'd guess that spares prices on some things gave them a serious overstock which just costs money to store. If you store and account for inventory long enough then the cost of selling it can't match what you've payed to store it,  pure accounting view just looks at cost versus profit, and says cut the cost! :(

I was told by a very reliable source that when the Honda Service Department in Wollaton Rd. Nottingham closed that loads of parts were dumped in a pit that was on site and buried under strict orders that they were not removed off site. Evidently there was a really early CB750 there which they were told was also to be destroyed but it disappeared one night ... this is where my pair of CB750 prototype carbs originated from,  so I wonder what the mystery bike was  ::) ::) Both the Gold and Green CB750 prototypes were on that site at some point. I gave those carbs to a good friend and  CB750 guru  and he identified that they were in fact modified CL77 carbs.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2019, 09:28:25 AM »
Yes Ash, none of that stuff left the sites at all  :) most of it would go out to scrap.

"Totter's" working the site could smell if it was aluminium,  ferrous or copper as it came in the gate, they'd not miss out on recycling that  ;D

Offline ricki brown

• View Profile
Re: These is a CB750F god
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2019, 07:24:40 PM »
That really is rare, I have the one from mine in the loft, I took it off just after I bought the bike in 1976 but did not bin it, like a lot of the standard bits I kept them just in case I ever sold the bike.

Dennis

Dennis, I have just aquired a 1975 CB750 FO and am looking for same muffler as above HM392.
ANY HELP WELCOME
Thanks Ricki Brown
stay@laluz.net

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2019, 06:26:14 PM »
That really is rare, I have the one from mine in the loft, I took it off just after I bought the bike in 1976 but did not bin it, like a lot of the standard bits I kept them just in case I ever sold the bike.

Dennis

Dennis, I have just aquired a 1975 CB750 FO and am looking for same muffler as above HM392.
ANY HELP WELCOME
Thanks Ricki Brown
stay@laluz.net
This might be an option? https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F293354051891

Offline ssf1

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2020, 06:31:53 PM »
I have a used muffler (original CB750 F1 HM392 silencer) in mint condition, get in touch if you are interested.

(Someone was wondering in some other thread if this is still available - yes it is / May 2021)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 09:37:57 PM by ssf1 »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal