Author Topic: WHY Honda! WHY!  (Read 614 times)

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
WHY Honda! WHY!
« on: May 22, 2019, 12:32:25 AM »
The trusty Hornet, even with new head bearings, is not handling right. Well...actually...the thing follows ripples in the road like ...er...well...like I really don;t want it to!

Riding in London, I have also discovered a new hell...where bus lanes were re-surfaced, and buses let loose while the tarmac was still soft. You get ripples like waves, sometimes several inches high. As weell as the current fad for repairing potholes by throwing a shovel of tarmac in and letting the vehicles pack it down....

So, having twitchy steering on top of that can get a little scary.

Anyway...a pair of very shot head bearings were replaced for brand new ones. A bit of fiddling to get the tension just right was called for, as I have no way of setting a torque wrench on a C-spanner....and no big peg spanner for the one job I would ever use it on. But I have it moving smoothly, and just tight enough to have no slop. But that didn;t cure it.

I had noticed a bit oif slop in the front wheel bearings while it was all apart, so I figured I may as well fit a new set. I mean...the bike is nearly 15 years old, is used in all weathers, and they are probably the original bearings. That's when the trouble hit.

E-Bay search showed....1 seller with 900 Hornet bearings. Loads of REAR wheel bearings...but only 1 seller with fronts. Bought them. 5 minutes later...apology from vendor and cancelled order. They have no stock. Alarm bells begin ringing....

Google is fired up...and yes. The bearings are a very non-standard size. 6004 d45..... ID 20mm x OD 45mm x W 12mm

So, instead of paying £20 for a pair plus new seals....They are £20 EACH, plus another £9 a side for seals if I need them. With postage on top.... Bought from John Oldfields in Southampton. Not local...but they seem to keep a very good stock of genuine Honda parts for my old Hornet, and the guy in the parts department is very helpful. Going to try and re-use the seals I have for now, as I am spending money I don't have right now, but having had a front wheel bearing collapse in the past (not a pleasant experience and not something I would want to repeat) I want to do this for peace of mind. So that's my bank holiday weekend all sorted .......

Going to have to re-use the seals in the short term, as they are OK, and funds are not....
CB750F2 - in pieces
CB900F Hornet - the daily transport

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: WHY Honda! WHY!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 05:36:19 PM »
Had to buy genuine Honda for the bearings.

Nobody else had any .... and some of the sellers claiming to have them have the wrong bearings... 6004 not 6004 d45 which won't fit.

I don;t mind using pattern seals so much....but I don't like to buy cheap bearings. The bearings themselves are rubber sealed anyway, so the external seal is another layer of protection, and the grease in between yet another. I don't expect to buy another set for at least 15 years....
CB750F2 - in pieces

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 11:11:49 PM »
When you say a 6004 will not fit. In what way will it not fit.

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 11:27:11 PM »
I take it D45 denotes 45mm outer instead of the standard 42mm. So I would take it these could fit. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bearing-Koyo-I-D-20mm-x-O-D-45mm-x-W-12mm/112692010692?hash=item1a3cf79ec4:g:h6wAAOSwpDdU2jrT

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 12:02:58 AM »
intreresting :)

Thanks for the link. IAs I understand it...the dimensions are as you said, and the OD is not standard. When I pull one out this weekend I will stick the verniers on and check.

I have taken the plunge this time with genuine bearings, but it's always good to have other options if I need another set in the future...and at least I know they are out there!
CB750F2 - in pieces

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal