Author Topic: SOHC Inlet manifold clips  (Read 1552 times)

Offline casperdog

• View Profile
SOHC Inlet manifold clips
« on: May 22, 2019, 12:56:41 PM »
Hi, DSS want a tenner each for these...anyone know of a good cheaper alternative. Surely this is a £1.50 commercial item available from somewhere?
Cheers
Phil.

Offline Rob62

• SOHC Pro
  • ZZR1100D9, CB750K4, RD250F, NSR250MC21, RD350YPVS
    • View Profile
Re: SOHC Inlet manifold clips
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 01:03:50 PM »
And even at a tenner each they wont necessarily clamp the stubs effectively. as people, myself included, have found.. I bought mine from here
https://z1parts.net/honda-cb750-insulator-bands-single/

.... well known supplier of CB parts, much cheaper. They also needs a slight modification though but a hell of a saving over DSS

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 01:06:36 PM »
Yes, £10 sounds a lot but they need to be the correct size when closed tight and width to do the job correctly. Jubilee clips are no good as they can cut in to the rubber and rip it. I don't think we have ever found a cheaper acceptable alternative, that why we save them all and have them re zinced. If you do find a source though, maybe you could let us know.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline casperdog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 01:50:35 PM »
I've got our tooling supplier on the case...will post if he finds anything.

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 05:40:25 PM »
Pretty sure when I rebuilt mine I ordered new ones and they turned up black, so I had the old ones replated, seems like the best way as Julie said.

Cheers

Dennis
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2019, 07:11:35 PM »
Are you on about airbox to carb or carb to head ?
 They superseded the carb to head and with the superseded rubbers, you need the superseded clamp. As Paul Gledhill found out as, i sent him some original clamps and they would not close up enough to seal. He bought a set of superseded clamps and everything was fine. 

Offline paul G

• SOHC Master
  • No room left in the garage what now !
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2019, 07:39:23 PM »
 They superseded the carb to head and with the superseded rubbers, you need the superseded clamp. As Paul Gledhill found out as, i sent him some original clamps and they would not close up enough to seal. He bought a set of superseded clamps and everything was fine.

Need to send you them back ::)
Honda CB400 4
Honda CB550 K3 (sold)
Honda CB750 UK K1
Kawasaki Z650 C2
Kawasaki Z650 cafe racer (Sold)
Honda CD175 sloper

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2019, 08:25:20 PM »

I thought you had them out on rental  ;)  ;D ;D

Offline casperdog

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2019, 09:37:22 PM »

Carb to head.
Need to buy a new set of rubbers and was going to buy new clamps but will be using my originals if i cant find them any cheaper.
Was going to order rubbers from DSS when they are all back in stock.
cheers
Phil

Offline paul G

• SOHC Master
  • No room left in the garage what now !
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2019, 12:21:37 PM »

I thought you had them out on rental  ;)  ;D ;D

Dam who told you >:(
Honda CB400 4
Honda CB550 K3 (sold)
Honda CB750 UK K1
Kawasaki Z650 C2
Kawasaki Z650 cafe racer (Sold)
Honda CD175 sloper

Offline paulbaker1954

• SOHC Pro
  • I'll just be 5 minutes dear!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2019, 01:22:19 PM »
Yes, £10 sounds a lot but they need to be the correct size when closed tight and width to do the job correctly. Jubilee clips are no good as they can cut in to the rubber and rip it. I don't think we have ever found a cheaper acceptable alternative, that why we save them all and have them re zinced. If you do find a source though, maybe you could let us know.

When I was restoring the 1972 500 I was using a supplier for stainless parts who listed some really thin hose clamps in stainless, as I kinda like "shiny shiny nice" I was intrigued and ordered 5, 4 for the inlet rubbers and 1 to try on the airbox, they weren't exactly cheap back in the late 70s and early 80s so I only ordered the 5 . They turned out to be perfect, didn't cut the rubbers, clamped really well and looked great. Never had a single problem with them.

Fast forward to today and as you know I've dug out the bike I fitted them too and they are still in perfect condition, by perfect I mean perfect, shiny as all hell. The clamp where the worm drive sits is very slightly recessed so it doesn't dig into the rubber but to check I'll inspect the rubbers where they were fitted to confirm this. This is a quality part, hence the price. I was bemoaning the fact I hadn't bought all 12 clamps as they really are very very nice.

So, the other day I'm looking for some new stuff for the 500 and the search engine only pops up with the firm I was dealing with back then, couldn't believe it, I really thought they'd stopped trading years ago as I still have an old catalogue from them and had tried the tele number a few times with no success. So onto the website and bugger me it appears they are still selling them, just pulled one of the clamps off the airbox (I'm not 100% sure if the same clamp diameter is fitted to the inlet rubbers as they are still in the garage, will check next time I'm round there) and whilst the diameter range stamped on the clamp is no longer available they do have one listed 1mm under. So I'm going to ring them later and see if the clamps they are selling now are still the same as the ones I ordered 35 years ago, if so I'll order some and confirm they are suitable. If so I'll post a link to the page on the site, the clamps are different to jubilee clips BTW in that jubilee clips tend to be 1/2" wide and these are only 8mm wide so they fit inside the grooves of the rubbers easily. Although I just checked as I have some new inlet rubbers in the loft which I thought were for the 500 but they are actually for the 550K3 as the middle number is 404 and the clamps are fractionally too wide for the groove in those, they'd be usable IMO though as it's very very small difference. Not sure if the 550K3 inlet rubbers are bigger in diameter but the clamp that was on the airbox only just goes big enough to go over the rubbers edge, would probably clamp ok I reckon though. Must sell the 550 rubbers as they are no use to me.

I was looking at buying some new ones from DS but as these look to be available I'll be buying these instead. Oh and cost, £3.14 for the airbox one and if I'm right and the inlets are slightly smaller then £2.82 for those, I'm not totally sure I didn't just order 5 of the larger size but we'll see when I get one of the inlets off.

Ken just ordered some of these from INOX for my 500, they are narrow band (8mm) stainless

http://www.inoxbolt.co.uk/zen/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=475_498
If you think there's light at the end of the tunnel it's usually another train !!

2016 Yamaha MT09 Tracer
1971 Honda CB500 Four K0

Offline paulbaker1954

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2019, 03:45:38 PM »
Funnily enough I talked to my source the other day and they no longer stock the same make as the ones I'd used previously. I said I order one and see how it compared, he mentioned the manufacturer but I didn't take a note of who it was, could be Inox.

I checked the rubbers on the airbox and they do leave an impression on the surface, nothing major, just a small mark where the clamp is and you can also see where the slots for the worm drive have been touching, supposes that proves they are clamping well  ;D ;D

Link doesn't work Paul, how much were they each? and what size range did you order?

Hi Ken the Link works for me but here it is again

http://www.inoxbolt.co.uk/zen/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=475_498

I ordered the 32-50mm ones £20 for 8 plus £3.50 shipping
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 03:49:36 PM by paulbaker1954 »
If you think there's light at the end of the tunnel it's usually another train !!

2016 Yamaha MT09 Tracer
1971 Honda CB500 Four K0

Offline paulbaker1954

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2019, 03:26:14 PM »
Link still broken Paul, tried it in Google Chrome and Explorer, get the same result.

Hmm now broken for me too but worked fine other day, I cant even open the main Inox Fasteners web site either so maybe they are having web issues.

Maybe try again tomorrow. If link keep failing google Inox Fasteners- its easy to find the clips from main menu

2016 Yamaha MT09 Tracer
1971 Honda CB500 Four K0

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal