Author Topic: Hello form York.  (Read 2793 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Re: Hello form York.
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2019, 04:50:12 PM »
Welcome Sam from a Hullite!
These are great pics Ash and bring back happy memories for me too.  A relative of mine, Nev Waters worked for some time in the parts department of Jordan’s which was right on the top floor.  Heck, they had some stuff!  I bought a plexiglas head gasket for a KM24 Gold Star from him in the mid 60’s for an engine I got for £5 dismantled in a hessian sack.  My Dad bought a new gold Canterbury Venom sidecar, colour matched to our plunger BSA Golden Flash from them in Storey St.  That store became Grattans catalogue shop and offices.  Nev went on to manage ‘Sellit and Soon’ in East Hull - a secondhand emporium of mostly crap that they sold on your behalf for commission.
I love the fact that the early Jordan’s pic has used different colour capital letters which makes it look like ‘Ull - which is how most folk know it!

Ian

Even though I an old b*gger Ian I never went in Jordans . When did it close? This place 'Miles'  and 'Peters of Hull' were my stomping grounds plus the Richies scrap yard of course

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2019, 08:19:11 PM »
Sorry to hijack Sam’s thread - you’ll get used to folk doing that Sam! Especially old folk reminiscing!
Ash,
I can’t remember exactly when it closed in Storey Street but they moved to Witham and sold cars for years. Miles were along Anlaby Road (Selby Street corner) weren’t they? Peters would have been Beverley Road - not far from Ritchies.  Was Ken Wasling (Lucas and Wasling) still going when you were a nipper?  Also had dealings with Don Law.  I bought a new Super Dream from Hull Motorcycle Centre (RAT 300W) when Stuart Myers was manager - he went to Riley too.

Ee, them were’t days!

Offline jon stead

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2019, 08:49:01 PM »
Welcome Sam
2015 Triumph Bonneville T100 Newchurch

Offline andy120t

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2019, 10:07:01 AM »
Welcome Sam from a Hullite!
These are great pics Ash and bring back happy memories for me too.  A relative of mine, Nev Waters worked for some time in the parts department of Jordan’s which was right on the top floor.  Heck, they had some stuff!  I bought a plexiglas head gasket for a KM24 Gold Star from him in the mid 60’s for an engine I got for £5 dismantled in a hessian sack.  My Dad bought a new gold Canterbury Venom sidecar, colour matched to our plunger BSA Golden Flash from them in Storey St.  That store became Grattans catalogue shop and offices.  Nev went on to manage ‘Sellit and Soon’ in East Hull - a secondhand emporium of mostly crap that they sold on your behalf for commission.
I love the fact that the early Jordan’s pic has used different colour capital letters which makes it look like ‘Ull - which is how most folk know it!

Ian

Sellit and Soon doesn't sell crap - at least not the one in Beverley!   It's still going strong there having moved from the old swimming baths, to Old Walkergate.  If you are in the market for an ornamental china horse pulling a wagon full of beer barrels, or an unwantd video player, then that's the place!
andy120t

CB550f/k
Zephyr 550
ZX6R G1
GSXR 7/11 - I need to sell it
Triumph 5TA - and this..

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2019, 03:18:44 PM »
One for Orcadian (Ian)

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

There was a similar shop to 'Sellit and Soon' called 'Pools Corner' that sold stuff on commission on Newland Avenue Hull plus cheapo tools new ... Somebody bought me a set of new screwdrivers from there for my 21st made by Vessel in Japan and included JIS crossheads too. Still have most of them today .. they have square shafts and are top notch... wish you could still get them today.. Strange that a shop which sold cheapo tools new would stock such good stuff.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal