Author Topic: Help repair paint chip!!!!  (Read 1618 times)

Offline Wenman

• SOHC Member
  • First build done cb550 supersport
    • View Profile
Help repair paint chip!!!!
« on: June 02, 2019, 10:42:29 PM »
I recently acquired an amazing CB750 1976 in a project state in that the hard work had been done and all that is required is it putting back together.
The quality of this build is A1, everything has been restored to near perfect condition or replaced with new parts.

With that said the tank has been beautifully painted to a very high standard and looks remarkable.

Here lies the problem.. being a complete idiot I have managed to knock the tank (don’t ask how) and placed a very small chip in  it.

I need it repaired to the same standard or if irreparable I need it completely resprayed to maintain the standard of the restoration.

Can anyone recommend someone that  may be able to repair the chip?
Failing that has anyone had experience with a professional sprayer they could recommend please

Thanking you all in advance

Alan
If at first you don't succeed.. hit it with something!

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Help repair paint chip!!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2019, 10:57:39 PM »
If that is as it looks, a Honda candy colour, it would be incredibly difficult to repair, if it can in fact be repaired. This being due to the way candy paints are applied. Would not be a cheap respray either. You could try Dream Machine, or contact Menno, who is a member on here, but it means shipping the tank to Germany. Good luck!

Sent from my X6pro using Tapatalk
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Menno

• SOHC Expert
  • www.tanklackieren.de
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2019, 11:25:55 PM »
Hello Alan,

that is very difficult to repair.
I might even say impossible without still seeing a 'spot' in a slightly different colour.

Now normally this colour would be candy sunrise flake orange.
Honda did not always use exactly the same flake in its paint.

Your tank however doesn't seem to have any flake in its paint.
More likely a heavy metallic.
If the size of the metallic is not known it would come down to a simple guess.
Guess wrong and the spot to repair looks more  - or less - sparkly than the rest of the tank.

But that is actually the least difficult part of the problem.
Trying to match the orange exacty in that spot without seeing the cut is undoable.
Unfortunately you cannot blend in the candy orange because if you start on the outside this area is immediately darker than anything else.

Trying to repair such a damage is very frustrating because I know even before I started it will not be perfect.
I could try it but the chances of succes are little.
On the other hand - the way it looks now is also not very nice.

Maybe dream machine has a better advise.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2019, 11:43:38 PM »
I bought a nos boss maroon mettalic tank with a paint chip on the top and left it with a fantastic local paint mixer who mixed 3 different colours to get to it, filled in most of the chip with colour then the rest with the touch up laquer to above surface then cut it with 3000 wet and dry using soapy water afterwards polish. You can still see it if you look close but its not horribly visible.
Your problem will be finding somebody with the required skill  willing to spend the time and effort to mix up a small ammount and then it will be new water based not solvent based so may not work as well.
Best of luck sorting it.

Offline Wenman

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 07:08:09 AM »
Thanks for all your responses, even though they are not what I wanted to hear.
I know the company that originally did the paint ‘Kustom Paintworks’ so I think my best bet is to start there!

Wish me luck..
Al

Offline Rob62

• SOHC Pro
  • ZZR1100D9, CB750K4, RD250F, NSR250MC21, RD350YPVS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2019, 01:13:59 PM »
you could probably achieve a similar result just building up the paint with a touch up brush and then carefully flatting back and re-polishing. I guess it all depends on how obsessed you are going to be over a very small blemish and how much money you are prepared to throw at it....  once done you'd probably have to point it out to anyone before they notice it themselves..

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2019, 02:52:07 PM »
As a get you by there are some very good matches to be found at your local beauty store. I can often be found perusing the nail polish section,  it makes excellent touch up paint. But you will always see it.  ;)

This tip was passed on to me by Dream Machine as they told me a chip in my Candy red 175 would be impossible to repair and would require a repaint.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 02:54:49 PM by Moorey »

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2019, 03:03:43 PM »
As a get you by there are some very good matches to be found at your local beauty store. I can often be found perusing the nail polish section,  it makes excellent touch up paint. But you will always see it.  ;)

This tip was passed on to me by Dream Machine as they told me a chip in my Candy red 175 would be impossible to repair and would require a repaint.
I was going to look through my collection of nail varnish touch up sticks but, I only have UK colour matches 😀😀
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Wenman

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2019, 03:10:04 PM »
Thanks again.. I did think about the old nail polish truck however the bike is immaculate and I am building it to sell on as I’m more of a custom guy. We want to achieve a high end finish so think the only route is a full respray.

I have spoken with the original painter who also confirmed its a respray.. the decals are all hand painted and not stickers so it’s gonna set me back £500 to have the panels and tank all re done!

That was an expensive cock up! Still crying but at least I’ve stopped throwing up now!!

Sad times

Al

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2019, 03:31:37 PM »

I was going to look through my collection of nail varnish touch up sticks but, I only have UK colour matches 😀😀

I get some strange looks at the car boot sales sorting  through  nail polish.  ;D

Offline shifter

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2019, 04:17:44 PM »
I think your best bet is bite the bullet and spray again ,save time etc as you wouldn’t be happy with it as every time you passed the bike you will look at it first ,no touch up etc etc ,with cover  better than full blast over ,££££.  “ s...e happens “.....
" RIDDEN NOT HIDDEN"

Cbr500r
550 f1
S90

Offline Menno

• SOHC Expert
  • www.tanklackieren.de
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2019, 09:02:04 PM »
I bought a nos boss maroon mettalic tank with a paint chip on the top and left it with a fantastic local paint mixer who mixed 3 different colours to get to it, filled in most of the chip with colour then the rest with the touch up laquer to above surface then cut it with 3000 wet and dry using soapy water afterwards polish. You can still see it if you look close but its not horribly visible.
Your problem will be finding somebody with the required skill  willing to spend the time and effort to mix up a small ammount and then it will be new water based not solvent based so may not work as well.
Best of luck sorting it.

Boss maroon is a simple metallic paint.
That is easy to sand back and spray over partially.

Sunrise flake orange however ...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal