Author Topic: Running without main jet retaining spring - opinions  (Read 530 times)

Offline paulbaker1954

• SOHC Pro
  • I'll just be 5 minutes dear!!
    • View Profile
Running without main jet retaining spring - opinions
« on: June 02, 2019, 10:47:34 PM »
Just got bike running again after some work but in bye process snapped the main jet retaining spring thing on carb 1.

Jet was a tight push fit with viton o ring, I have ordered a new spring from Gerben but he is on hols till June 7th

Question is do folks think I am ok riding without this spring for a few weeks, i.e is main jet ,likely to pop out?
If you think there's light at the end of the tunnel it's usually another train !!

2016 Yamaha MT09 Tracer
1971 Honda CB500 Four K0

Offline robvangulik

• SOHC Member
  • Honda Fourever
    • View Profile
Re: Running without main jet retaining spring - opinions
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2019, 11:05:55 PM »
I rode some time without the spring in carb #1, years ago, went usually well, but had to stop twice in maybe 3 weeks/500 miles to retrieve and replace the jet.
You find out right away when it drops.....
I saw recently on the usa site pics of someone who used a small coil spring that fitted tight around the jet and reached to the bottom of the float bowl.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2019, 11:37:17 PM »
I MIGHT have some from the burnt out carbs, dont know condition or even if i can find them but will look tomorrow.

Offline paulbaker1954

• SOHC Pro
  • I'll just be 5 minutes dear!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2019, 08:22:29 AM »
I MIGHT have some from the burnt out carbs, dont know condition or even if i can find them but will look tomorrow.

Don't worry Bryan I have ordered a replacement set from Gerben in Holland but as he is on hols till 7th June he cant ship till then.

I remember they were a hard push fit with the Viton O rings so fingers crossed it stays in. At leas its No 1 carb so easy to get at

Incidentally he was the only place I could find that supplies them both DSS and CMSNL show them as discontinued
If you think there's light at the end of the tunnel it's usually another train !!

2016 Yamaha MT09 Tracer
1971 Honda CB500 Four K0

Offline Tomb

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 08:59:55 AM »
I bought a 550 that the PO had lost the spring clips, it ran like a bag-o-shite, I stripped the carbs and found all 4 main jets in the bottom of the float bowl. I used copper wire wrapped around the main jet holder/emulsion tube/needle jet (whatever you call it) under the hex head, then wrapped around the clip groove in the main jet. I did that 20 years ago, its still the same.
Tom
'73 CB550 with CB500 engine café racer
'62 CB77 Sprinter
'70 CD175
'78 CB550 with sidecar
'80 Z50R
And a load of old Yamaha 1100's

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal