SOHC.co.uk Forums > CB500/550

Vibration through handlebars

(1/2) > >>

Seamus:
Anyone any experience of this. Symtoms are a high frequency vibration through the throttle side of the bars. Enough to make your hand go numb after about 5 to 10 miles.
Engine is set up correctly, timing, valves and carbs well balanced.
Ideas appreciated

Cheers
Seamus

matthewmosse:
Not had this even with badly set up motor or even dropped valve so I'd look futher than the engine. Checked your wheel bearings, front tyre balance, or looked for a loose bolt somewhere? might be it ???

Seamus:
An odd problem, I admit. This is a friends bike and he has had this problem for a while. We have tried using a bar end weight to see if that helps, but not much. Could it be something to do wth the frequency of the vibration and the length of the handle bar?

Clutching at straws....Yes

matthewmosse:
I'm kinda at loss with vibration problems as my 500 and 550 before that didn't vibrate much at all, even when the 550 dropped a valve, (and later snapped a camshaft ::)) thats why i'd be looking at the rolling chasis end of things. I know fitting a sidecar can create vibration and shaking of the bars but I recon you'd have noticed one of them ;D thought occors that checking the brake calipers not worn its swing arm thingy oval as this can be a problem.

Seamus:
Thanks for the replies. I guess that I had best just go over everything with a spanner and check for anything loose.

Strange really as the bike goes well and appears smooth (engine wise), just has this high frequency thing through the throttle. May be some sort of resonance. Just need some decent weather to try out any fixes that we come up with.

I will post the results if we can find the problem

Cheers
Seamus

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version