Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 1636 times)

Offline THUNDERDOWNUNDER

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« on: June 11, 2019, 03:03:03 AM »
G’day from Down Under (Perth ) Looking forward to input from members on the does and don’t on restoring my CB400f 76 Model . Australian delivers but had a few owners over the years by the look of things .Tail light is off a Yamaha for starters ha ! Still it is running after a lot of swearing and scuffed knuckles .There is a bit of cosmetics to do but the main thing I have to do is the timing chain .Its at the end of its adjustment. I hear it’s a full engine strip down to fix . Your inputs would be welcomed . Wish me luck .Rob

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 08:44:09 AM »
Confirmed,  to put an endless cam chain in you've got to dismantle and get crank out.

It will give a good chance to assess other parts though and catch anything untoward inside there,  also to ensure the chain tensioner etc are OK to avoid problems down the line.

Presume you've already gone to the 400 engine build on here? Very informative and invaluable to see what you're looking at, by Julie.

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 08:55:17 AM »
Welcome to the forum and you couldn't find a better 400 guide than the one done by Julie

Offline Sprocket

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 09:47:05 AM »
the main thing I have to do is the timing chain .Its at the end of its adjustment.
Hi Rob, welcome! Get some pics up :)
Regarding the timing chain; what do you mean by at the end of it's adjustment? Don't want to teach you to suck eggs, but (as I've discovered!) the common misconception is that you have some degree of control over the adjustment of the chain. The bolt on the front, and it's lock bolt are only there to allow the spring adjuster to be 'set'. That is, you free the lock nut, let the spring take the tension then lock it back up. Winding the bolt in or out will destroy the adjuster or the thread in the case.

Of course, this might have already been done - so yes that's an engine apart job to fix.

In theory you could change a timing chain to a split one without taking the engine out. Perhaps even one of the guides.

Best of luck with the bike though, it's a religion, not a project.  8)

Offline THUNDERDOWNUNDER

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 01:37:18 PM »
Thanks guys , it has crossed my mind on putting a split chain on .  The guy I bought the bike off a few years ago said it was a hack so don’t know if he ment it was knackerd or just for hacking around on . The chains sounds a bit rateley on tick over but is better when you are cruising ..I will put some pics up when I figure out how too .Thanks again and watch this space .Rob .

Offline THUNDERDOWNUNDER

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Thunder Down Under
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2019, 01:53:20 PM »
Pics of the Prodject !

Offline jon stead

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2019, 05:14:27 PM »
Hello and welcome
2015 Triumph Bonneville T100 Newchurch

Offline Rob62

• SOHC Pro
  • ZZR1100D9, CB750K4, RD250F, NSR250MC21, RD350YPVS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2019, 07:55:51 PM »
At tick-over, as well as the cam chain, you will also hear the primary drive chain rattling (can be improved by balancing the carbs) and the clutch basket rattle....it should all quieten off with a little bit of throttle to lift the revs off idle.... Are you sure there is excessive noise from the camchain... get another experienced owner to have a listen as a double check before you dive in.

Offline THUNDERDOWNUNDER

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2019, 01:20:16 AM »
Yes a few rattles at low reves but the bike is running good out on the highway .. I won’t be diving in at the moment  . Another question is battery not charging . I have checked the altinator and it’s putting out power  .Thinking of getting regulator rectifier one peace ha .

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2019, 08:37:52 AM »
How have you checked alternator?
If regulator dont work right you wont get full voltage (AC across each of 3 pairs of yellow leads).
Most common no charge is bad grounding of green wires or corroded connectors.

Offline THUNDERDOWNUNDER

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2019, 11:35:08 AM »
Thanks I will check it out again over the weekend ..The guy I bought it off said there was a short somewhere . I think it more the reg/rec  as it’s a spiders web and is housed under the seat with no air flow so I’m thinking as it says integra it’s notstandard.keep  you posted Rob . PS I put another wiring loom on from David Silver . Plus Yam back light Ha !

Offline THUNDERDOWNUNDER

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2019, 11:43:05 AM »
Said Reg / Rec .

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal