Author Topic: Filling in V55/5  (Read 2172 times)

Offline casperdog

• View Profile
Filling in V55/5
« on: June 19, 2019, 09:08:05 PM »
Hi I Recently (6 months ago) posted this on another forum.....may be useful info for someone.
Cheers
Phil

This is how i filled in my V55/5 and was successful so must be somewhere near. I'm certainly no expert at this, i've done it a couple of times using info gleaned off various classic bike/car sites and forums.
Also, these answers will only apply to a bike that is over forty years old, applying for first registration in the UK and with no original (non UK) documents.
You will need the NOVA cert and a dating letter.
Make sure you use the latest issue v55.........currently 8/18 (top r/h/s)

Firstly, in the box in the top right hand side of page one, state the country that the bike was purchased from. I stated the country it had come from even though i purchased it from a UK dealer.
Second, tick the RHD box underneath.

You only need to answer the following questions:

Q2...."Historic"
Q4....Tick the Registration fee box.
Q6...."Yamaha" / "Honda" or whatever.
Q7...."XT500" / "CB750" or whatever.
Q8...."Motorcycle."
Q9...."2 Wheel".
Q10...Main colour of bike.
Q11... "Exempt".
Q18..."2".
Q27..."19XX".
Q31..."Petrol."
Q32...Full frame number.
Q33...Full engine number.
Q34...Engine cc.
Q57...First half of your postcode.
Q62...Fill in your details.
Q63...Your date of birth.
Q64..."Pre-dates type approval"
Q65.. The mileage.

SIGN and DATE the form.

My covering letter / note was worded:

Please find enclosed completed V55/5.
I have enclosed a Dating Letter from .......... because the original non UK registration documents were unavailable.
I have listed Tax Class as historic because the motorcycle is over 40 years old (Manuf. 19XX).
For the same reason i understand that an MOT certificate is not required.
I also understand that i no longer need to enclose my insurance certificate.
Many Thanks.
Contact Details. Tel..... Mobile..... Email......

Make sure you send...Completed V55, Covering letter, Dating letter, NOVA certificate, Photocopy of your photocard driving licence and a cheque for £55.

Hope this helps
Phil

Offline rosco

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Filling in V55/5
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 09:27:53 PM »
Did you have to send in photos of the complete bike and frame,engine numbers or just the form Only ask as very close to registering mine a CA77 1966

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2019, 09:39:14 PM »
It is easier to have the bike MOTed as this will avoid any inspection and the paper work is processed faster  ;)

Offline casperdog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2019, 09:39:52 PM »
No photos required when sending in this form....you only need them for your dating letter.
Cheers
Phil

Offline rosco

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2019, 10:58:15 AM »
Thanks Phil Very useful   Ross

Offline the-chauffeur

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2019, 01:50:51 PM »

It's been a while now since I did mine, but I've had different experiences when it comes to inspections.  I didn't send photos in with the first application, but did include dating cert, MOT and insurance cert.  Even so, the DVLA demanded to inspect that bike, despite it being a fairly common model.  This was at a time when the DVLA still had local offices, so I had to drag the bike down to them for a bloke to spend thirty seconds cross checking the frame and engine numbers.  Not an experience I wanted to repeat . . .

. . . so with the next two, I sent the same documents with 4 colour images on one sheet of A4; the frame number, the engine number and one of each side (to give context and to confirm colour).  Same basic applications and documents - and no inspections needed on either of those. 

Things have changed since then; the DVLA no longer has local offices, and with the relaxing of the tax/MOT legislation for older vehicles, there's no money in it for them now.  Consequently, I suspect the DVLA want to spend as little time on applications like these as possible now, which is probably why Phil found the process so straightforward.   

For the bikes I'll need to register soon I have the title documents (that's a new one for me), so I'm hoping the process will be equally simple, but I'm still going to submit pictures in the same format as before, just to give the application that extra little shove in the right direction.

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2019, 01:53:09 PM »
DVLA have outsourced the inspection process to a private company now.  🙄🙄🙄🙄
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline the-chauffeur

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2019, 05:40:24 PM »

Just had the registration documents through for two '66 bikes that have come in from overseas.  Followed the advice above and was able to supply title documents.  Was only able to send a set of photos for one, but the DVLA processed both applications without any questions.  They've also marked the bikes as being taxed (or whatever the historic equivalent is) until August next year.  One's nearing completion, but quite whether I'll have both on the road by then is another matter . . .

. . . and if there's room here for a teeny tiny mumblebrag, I've been given a identical letter/consecutive number sequence (i.e. ---689D / ---690D).  Not all that much to get excited about, but I thought it was pretty cool . . .

Offline Nurse Julie

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2019, 06:01:46 PM »
That's nice, consecutive numbers being issued. Yes, it is still called road Tax or road fund licence and you have to renew it yearly, even though free of charge. But, now they are both taxed, they either have to be insured or SORN. If you don't do one or the other, you get a very nasty letter from the Motor Insurance Bureau threatening a very hefty fine. If it's insured it shows on the Motor Insurance Database, if it's SORN, it also shows on the database .....if it doesn't show but has been taxed, that's when the shite hits the fan.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2019, 07:13:39 PM »
Vehicle Excise Duty Julie.

It’s not a tax (as they keep reminding us)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline Nurse Julie

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2019, 07:20:05 PM »
Vehicle Excise Duty Julie.

It’s not a tax (as they keep reminding us)

Ah yes, VED, that'll be the one Steve. Whatever they call it, I can't see what I get for the money, even though its free these days   ;D ;D ;D

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2019, 07:57:47 PM »
You get precisely what you pay for then!

2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline the-chauffeur

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2019, 08:57:45 PM »

The fact they'd VED'd it kinda threw me a bit 'cos the process has changed quite a lot since I last registered overseas bikes.  Last time, you needed to supply MOT and insurance certificates.  Since neither are required now - and (I assume) the VED checker references the insurance database - I wasn't sure whether the fact that I'd insured both machines on frame numbers would have shown up.  I know the insurers record the frame number in those situations, but I could't remember whether they passed them on to the MIB database.  Either way, I'll update my insurers in the next few days.

And last time out I got a certificate sent ahead of/along with V5 confirming the bike had been given a registration number, which could be used to get plates made up.  Now, the V5 is all you get . . . which makes a whole lot more sense to me.  That process change alone must've saved the DVLA a small fortune.

All very exciting.

Offline Crispy

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2019, 06:26:47 AM »
You should still get a certificate to authorise your new plates being made up, not that you really need one. It will probably come a week or so after your V5 along with the returned documents from your application.  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal