SOHC.co.uk Forums > The Black Bomber Board

Black Bomber valve clearances.

(1/7) > >>

royhall:
Does anyone know the correct procedure for setting the valve clearances on a 450 Black Bomber. I have 3 manuals and they all tell a different tale. I think I have it right but best to make sure before I trash something. Cheers.

royhall:
I have got myself completely confused over the valve clearances on the Bomber. I have got the cams in correctly ie. both camshaft marks on the right hand side are correct on the LT mark, and that checks out every two turns of the crank. Cam chain tensioner fitted and set. Now when it comes to valve clearance I have done LT mark with the cam marks aligned then 360deg round and set the left side. Now the confusion, I turn the crank to the T mark and set one right hand side but the other side wont adjust enough, I have to go round 360deg again to set that one. Is this correct? I was expecting to set both right hand side on the one mark.

This is what the Honda manual says about it. I have no idea what they mean by type 1 and 2? The instructions in the Clymer manual don't appear to work and Haynes is a two line waste of time. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Bryanj:
That description suggests to me that early engines were 180 cranks whilst later were 360 BUT i have never worked on a "Bomer" so do not profess to know for certain if cranks, cams etc were different.

Basic way to set tappets/valve clearance is to get the piston on TDC(pencil down plug hole) with both valves for that cylinder moving then rotate engine one full turn to TDC again and that is TDC compression which is where you set clearance.

Trigger:
As Bryan said, back to oldschool. Rotate the crank clockwise and watch the inlet valve open and as it comes to close watch the piston come to TDC  ;)

K2-K6:
Agree with Bryan,  looks like they are giving instruction to cover two different crank offsets.

Any four stroke cylinder in isolation should have both valves completely closed at TDC for the compression stroke "of that specific cylinder" you should be able to set each one with that criteria and base circle of each cam lobe would be next to followers.

Manuals on any engine try to give you the least amount of crank turns to accommodate the setting,  but the wording can often confuse a sometimes simple task.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version