Author Topic: Spoke weights  (Read 195 times)

Offline the-chauffeur

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Spoke weights
« on: June 24, 2019, 09:27:03 PM »

How do

I'm not entirely sure whether this board is the best place for this post because I'm looking for advice as much as anything, but let's have a go anyway . . . 

As the title suggests, I'm looking for sources of not-horrifically-expensive spoke weights.  I've got three or four wheels that need around 40g each, and right now, I'm balanced them out with the rim weights that are just stuck on.  I've always thought they look pretty crap, and I remember having seen spoke weights in the past that look a lot less obtrusive.

I've considered picking up a set of these but not only are there four different types (depending on the spoke nipple diameter) but it appears they need to be fitted with some sort of special tool that adds another twenty five quid or so. 

Personally, I take the special tool bit with a pinch of salt, insofar as I'm sure there's more than one way to mount those weights.  But they're not the only type that special tools are flogged for, and it seems entirely too complicated for my liking.  The ones I recall may have been lead and really only needed a pair of pliers to fit, but I'm guessing they <ahem> went out of fashion a while back.

I've also seen these reuseable weights from either China or Hong Kong; again, similar price but I think I may need multiple sets.

Hope that makes some sort of sense.  If you've got any sources that I could have a look at, do me a favour and put the details here.

Thanks all.

Neil

Offline K2-K6

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Spoke weights
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 05:55:46 AM »
I can only find similar to your links,  so no advance on current position.

As you remember,  lead cone shape weights have been used in the past to balance without anything special in the way of application.

You are putting the "spot marked" section of the tire adjacent to the the valve I assume?  That being marked by manufacturer as lightest point of tire when checked by them, it should offset to some degree the weight of valve assembly.

Could go with vintage cafĂ© racer method of wrapping solder wire round outer end of spoke  :) although the great health any safety regime is trying to stop us getting our hands on any lead at all now  ;D

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2019, 08:50:25 AM »

Offline the-chauffeur

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 12:38:06 AM »

Thanks fellas.

I've aligned the wall marks with the valves on the tyres that had those marks, but I've got at least two that have no discernible markings (or not any that I could make out).  So I've taken a punt on those, and TBH, they don't seem to be any more or less out of balance than the ones with the marks.  Maybe I just got lucky . . . or unlucky, depending on your perspective on weights.

I've seen the Wemoto ones - they look very similar to the ones I linked to in the original post, and again, I'm none the wiser on how to fit them.  They don't look like they'll need tools, but I can't work out whether its the neck of the nipple or the key (squared) section they fit.  If it's the key part, they're about 1mm too big. 

The other drawback is that I'd only get six or seven of those for the same total cost as 25 of the eBay ones - same goes for the Honda's own.  Can't remember what bike I was looking at the microfiche for, but they still list three or four spoke weights, although as you can imagine, they're not what you'd call competitively priced.

K2 - I like the solder idea.  It had occurred to me that I could probably pick up a lead flashing offcut and try cutting my own.  Looks like I'm going to need to do some lead-ing pinhole repairs on a mudguard in the not too distant, so maybe I'll have a go then. 

I mean, how hard can it be . . .   

Offline K2-K6

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2019, 07:14:02 AM »
Thinking about making your own weights, you could possibly use something like a UNF brake pipe coupling as it has similar form to the lead weights.

Fix a couple of them onto bolts and inside a small plastic box,  then cast with plaster of Paris to give you a mould.  Melt and fill with lead then drill out and cut a slot to fit spoke ends. Use any skin oil, suncream etc as release agent.

For cast material,  you can also use silicon sealant as a mould instead of plaster, catalyse it with acetic acid (white vinegar)  to set it off quicker mixed into the silicon.

Slightly laborious but has potential to get you there  :)

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2019, 12:19:40 PM »
Is it possible to modify a lead fishing weight to get the shape and weight thag you need?
2010 Street TripleR
1977 CB400F

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2019, 12:33:49 PM »
I sold a load of genuine Honda spoke weights just a few years ago, on this site actually. They were in various weights, the lighter 5g weights were in essence just like doughnuts and clamped around the nipple of the spoke. The larger 25g? were very similar to fishing weights, I did a lot of fishing and they were like the teardrop shaped weights you use for ledgering, they also were shaped at the bottom end to clamp around the nipple. All the weights had a slot to allow them to be put onto the spoke and then knocked down onto the nipple. If you were making a mould I'd use an old spoke and nipple and make a cast that surrounds that, you'd get the correct shape at the bottom then to allow for secure clamping, allow to cool, pull spoke and nipple out from bottom, slit the weight so it can be put onto the spoke and that's it. Weight can be altered by trimming the top of the weight off.
Don't play stupid with me, I'm better at it