Author Topic: Brake Disc  (Read 713 times)

Offline oldgreeny

• Pat
    • View Profile
Brake Disc
« on: June 25, 2019, 10:12:45 AM »
Hi all
A couple of questions regarding the brake disc on the CB500 Four K1:
Has anyone purchased one of the remanufactured discs (manufactured using modern materials, giving a far superior brake than the original.)  from DS ?
If yes, did you feel an improvement riding in dry and wet conditions 
It’s the only part I’ve not replaced on my brakes, but still feel they could be improved without going down the twin disc route.
Thanks in advance
Pat.
72 Green CB500 K1
2019 Red Triumph Speed Twin

Offline Erny

• CB750K7 CB550K1
  • SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Brake Disc
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 10:18:17 AM »
Before you change disc - what pads do you use?
I have the much better braking results with genuine Honda ones (compare to semi-organic from EBC) combined with modern braided hoses.
CB750K7 US model (1977)
CB550K1 US model (1975)

Offline oldgreeny

• Pat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2019, 02:16:11 PM »
Hi
Not tried genuine pads, aftermarket from DS, at moment its got SBS ceramic (street) pads in which are just ok Dry, scary wet, HEL lines fitted.
72 Green CB500 K1

Offline Erny

• CB750K7 CB550K1
  • SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2019, 03:21:45 PM »
I would first try genuine Honda before changing disc.
In may case it was big difference
CB750K7 US model (1977)
CB550K1 US model (1975)

Offline oldgreeny

• Pat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2019, 12:23:31 AM »
Hi
I have removed the disc, borrowed the wifes cake stand...  flap wheel in a grinder and rought up/cleaned surface of disc.
got to get cake stand back before the wife comes home :) :-\
Not tried yet but hopefully sorted
72 Green CB500 K1

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2019, 09:44:28 AM »
I don't know what others think, but the biggest problem with the brakes is lack of feel and feedback, it really seems like nothing is happening.  With genuine disk and EBC pads my brakes work OK, albeit very noisily, i.e. squeaking under load but it is the thing I like the least about these bikes.

Feeling a bit obsessive, I did a test on a quiet road.  I put my rucksack on the left verge of a very quiet straight road, before travelling back down the road some considerable distance.  I then approached the rucksack marker at 60MPH and as soon as I was passing the marker, applied brake in emergency stop fashion.  Once at a halt I was able to see my stopping distance and  I have to say I was surprised how well the bike had performed.  It made me feel a lot better about it.

It is very important to make sure that the caliper moves freely, the pin is lubricated properly, the piston moves well and that it is all adjusted correctly.  Braided hoses make a big difference.

Out of interest, do bikes with the twin caliper modification stop any quicker?

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2019, 03:40:09 PM »
Subjectively yes, and i did squeal a tt100 front tyre, but then i also locked the wheel and fell iff when the road was 4 inches deep in water on the corner and the old dear stepped off the kerb in front of me!

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2019, 10:47:11 PM »
I have locked the front wheel on a dry road a few times with the cb500/4 front disk, never for long enough for it to be an issue but anchoring right up I have left small amounts of skid mark on occasion, that was with s sidecar and Avon tyres, either sidecar mk2tripple rusty things or some old style rubber ribs pattern. Both tyres I liked for both grip and tyre life. I found in extreme wet weather it was necessary to lightly trail the front brake on most of the time to maintain full braking effectiveness without a delay while the disk shed water.collecting a project 500/4 in the sidecar one time from Leeds I will never forget how wet it was, coming down some motorway from the trans pennines bit, stuck in the slow lane totally unable to see even the lorry in front, the rain was so heavy, I could just make out his taillights if I got too close. The spray wasnt helping but even the fast lane away from lorries I could see hardly anything, was glad of trailing the front brake on with 1 finger, light pressure,  just to keep some response that day. Was also glad of the services at the end of that downhill.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal