Author Topic: Legislation changes affecting supply of articles (gaskets) containing asbestos  (Read 498 times)

Offline the-chauffeur

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile

I'm not sure whether this is the right place to ask, but I'll have a go anyway . . .

. . . has anyone got any links to documents explaining new regulations on the import/supply of items (primarily gaskets) containing asbestos?

For context:  I rang Silver's this morning to order some bits and pieces, one of which was an original gasket for an early CB450.  It seems there's been a change in the (EU?) law recently that means they're no longer able to/willing to supply gaskets that may contain asbestos, and they can't ship any in from their US warehouse either.   They said that as a consequence, they've had to take a load of stock off their shelves, but I'm not entirely sure whether that's because either they can't continue to stock it, can't sell it on, or it can't be posted.

I've done some Googling but keep coming up with rules on the transport and disposal of waste materials containing asbestos - not what I need.  I'm trying to understand what the rules say 'cos this could have something of an impact on some of the restoration stuff I'm doing and if it's as draconian as the rules they had in Australia up until recently, I'd've though it would impact the import of older machines that could have asbestos in brake materials.

Does this ring any bells with anyone?

Cheers

Offline flatfour

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
I'm aware of the problems that any component that might contain asbestos causes in Australia, however I did not know that the UK and Europe were similarly affected.

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
I think the issue would revolve around the difference between an item that might have been contaminated with asbestos at some point in it's lifeetime...and retailing a product you KNOW contains asbestos.

That would come under all sorts of existing laws, including the carriage of goods which are listed as hazardous. Royal Mail will not carry 'toxic substances, or those liable to cause harm if ingested or inhaled' ... and I would think asbestos is going to be covered under that. It's safe unless damaged, so while the risk is negligable, it is certainly not 'safe' in any true definition of the term.
CB750F2 - in pieces
CB900F Hornet - the daily transport

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal