Author Topic: security  (Read 703 times)

Offline billywingnut

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
security
« on: July 08, 2019, 10:49:46 AM »
Thinking about  security, I have  a larger heavy chain and lock for the garage but i don't want to lug it around. I have a steering lock but no key. replacements are available from  you know who. What I'm not sure of is how to get at this to replace it. There is a pin and small plate holding the lock assy. in place. Can anybody advise the best and least damaging to paintwork method of getting the thing out.
Answers on a postcard..

what other security options are available

Offline TrickyMicky

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: security
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 11:36:38 AM »
Unfortunately, regarding security, you must stop thinking like a 'nice guy', and start thinking like the rat who wants your bike. Forget about the steering lock, when the rat decides he wants your bike, he is not going to ride it away, it will be him plus a couple of mates in a van and they will just lift straight in and be gone. They will worry about the steering lock when they are in their secret 'lock-up'. I also have a bleedin' ugly great chain and strong padlock which goes with me and bike. I just loop the chain into a figure of eight, secure the two ends with the padlock, and it travels on the pillion seat held on with aerolastics using the lifting handle and right hand rear indicator. (No carrier!).  When reaching destination, the bike is secured to something immovable making sure the chain goes round the frame tubes or front forks, not just the front wheel. Remember, the chain might look ugly, but it's a lot prettier than returning to and empty parking space. Be lucky, Michael.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 11:40:46 AM »
Chains don't help since the arrival of battery powered angle grinders.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline TrickyMicky

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 03:20:10 PM »
I was thinking more about the opportunistic scrote to whom noise and time can be a hindrance to them. If a group of professional toe rags decide that your bike or car is the one they want it will be targeted and they will pick the time and the place, and you will only be able to stop them by blowing their frigging heads off. Or is that illegal?

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2019, 03:51:03 PM »
WHAT BIKE?

Offline PatM

• SOHC Member
  • 2001 R1, Triumph 1200 and the little 400/4!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2019, 06:15:00 PM »
Sadly this is covered in the above answers.
I reinstated my steering lock- just to keep oportunists at bay- and kids whom think it game to jump on your bike and waggle the steering yoke.

if you want to reinstate the lock- but one from a supplier and drill out the brass pin- you can clean it all out and instal the new barel. I pop-riveted a pop rivet and washer to retain it all- It doesnt shift and ive a selection of rivets, so i used one that was a good fit.

I could bemoan bike thefts as Ive lost a few over the years- My Firms BMW GSA 1200R was whipped off a bike bay in London- I wasnt a regular parker there- it was a opportunist sucess and they go the lot, ally panniers full of my kit to do my job, lid, satnav -you name it, It was in it for a couple of hours while i was 'just' going into our office and got way-payed, as you do . After that, my Firm forbid bikes and i had to buy my own or change my role.

The only thing they didnt get was the laptop,

May they burn in Hell- Blokes my age always had a downer on bike-theives as they were a breed apart- most of us needed opur bikes for gettting to work- I never lost a Rat, but my pride was my (our- as it was my wifes too) GT750 Suzi- which went in 1979. never forgotten that bike.

A couple of determined scrotes and a van and bye-bye. They dont even use them for bits over here, they ship them now.

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2019, 08:26:23 PM »
Get a tracker,  connected to a phone app.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2019, 07:05:10 AM »
400 had a Neiman lock and keys were never available seperately to buy cut or as blanks. If no keys you pull out the rivet with mole grips and drill out the lock with a big drill carefully as you dont get a new spring with the new lock.

Offline PatM

• SOHC Member
  • 2001 R1, Triumph 1200 and the little 400/4!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2019, 11:22:26 PM »
Heres mine- note the spring.
I drilled down and inserted a tap to help pry the old lock out.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal