Author Topic: from wheel installing  (Read 580 times)

Offline ricardo

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
from wheel installing
« on: July 16, 2019, 10:22:06 AM »
Hi.
I've refurbed my front wheel and reassembled the axle. I don't know how much to tighten up the final nut which holds the assembly in place. I know that this nut and the other end are clamped by the front wheel retainers so it won't come undone but I think that overdoing it will affect the function of the speedo gear box etc.
Help Ricardo

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: from wheel installing
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2019, 10:33:41 AM »
All these bikes axles "should" have spacers that allows the overall assembly to be clamped tight with the main nut on the spindle.

If you can't rotate the axle and speedo drive after tightening the axle then something is usually out of place. 

You won't ordinarily damage it by tightening if all the parts are correct,  so if you feel it pinching up the rotation when doing this you'd need to check components and placement.

Offline ricardo

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2019, 10:40:38 AM »
Thanks. I'l take it apart and check.
Ricardo

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 01:53:07 PM »
I've not got specific figures for the 400 but the 750s are in the order of 40lb front and 60lb rear for spindle nut torque.

Similar assembly on these smaller bikes so it's not going to be much lower.

The principle being that the components including bearing inner tracks,  spacers, washers and centre of speedo drive makes up a complete sleeve along the axle,  which is tightly pinched within that assembly prior to mounting it in the forks.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal