Author Topic: DSS Aftermarket head gaskets in set  (Read 508 times)

Offline paulbaker1954

• SOHC Pro
  • I'll just be 5 minutes dear!!
    • View Profile
DSS Aftermarket head gaskets in set
« on: July 20, 2019, 07:17:45 AM »
Having completed recent head gasket change using a DSS aftermarket set guess what still seeping oil due to poor o ring seal due to aftermarket head gasket thickness.

I must stress that this post relates to the head gaskets in their full gasket set, I have no experience of their “head gasket part only”

I used the DSS set as the picture on their web site showed an NE branded set, however when it arrived it was mounted on a white card with no branding. I emailed DSS to ask about branding and got no reply so (probably stupidly) went ahead and used it anyway with poor outcome.

Now to be fair to DSS I sent a pretty grumpy email this week and they have offered to ship me an OEM head gasket and o rings at no charge . They have also changed the image on their web site so it now does not show as NE branded.

The reason I post this is

1) To give credit to DSS for helping me out and for correcting their web site

2) I think it would be useful to keep a log somewhere of aftermarket gasket sets that are ok and don’t have this issue. After all it’s not a 10 minute job to change a head gasket.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 08:34:15 AM by paulbaker1954 »
If you think there's light at the end of the tunnel it's usually another train !!

2016 Yamaha MT09 Tracer
1971 Honda CB500 Four K0

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: DSS Aftermarket head gaskets in set
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2019, 07:54:55 AM »
Well done to DSS for offering a genuine gasket and seals, and correcting the website.  The only real saving grace here is whilst it is frustrating and annoying to have to do it again, it could be MUCH worse, it could have been a 750 motor, and that would mean engine out again!
Hopefully it shouldn't take you too long to get it sorted once the parts arrive, as you won't have any seized or rusted nuts and studs to deal with!

Sent from my X6pro using Tapatalk

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2019, 08:57:44 AM »
There is no point replacing a head gasket until you know were the leak was. It may not be a head gasket problem  ;)
It is no very often I see a head gasket leaking from the fire ring, most of the time it is just a o ring.
And because you will disturb the barrels while taking the head off, it is always a good practice to replace the base gasket.

Offline paulbaker1954

• SOHC Pro
  • I'll just be 5 minutes dear!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2019, 03:43:52 PM »
There is no point replacing a head gasket until you know were the leak was. It may not be a head gasket problem  ;)
It is no very often I see a head gasket leaking from the fire ring, most of the time it is just a o ring.
And because you will disturb the barrels while taking the head off, it is always a good practice to replace the base gasket.

Good advice Graham this is 100% an o ring leak due to differences in gasket thickness from OEM I can clearly see where its coming from
If you think there's light at the end of the tunnel it's usually another train !!

2016 Yamaha MT09 Tracer
1971 Honda CB500 Four K0

Offline the-chauffeur

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2019, 05:13:22 PM »

Hey

This is an issue Mark Paris (Hondaman) has commented on in the past.  His post was about the 750's, but I assume the same situation occurs with other aftermarket kits.  It seems the aftermarket head gaskets are marginally thicker than the originals but either folks use the original size Honda o-rings or the o-rings in the kits are made the same as the originals (rendering them undersized in both cases).  His post explains it better than I can.

I've been in touch with Mark and he's sent me a small supply of the oversized 750 o-rings he mentioned in the post to cure this exact same issue.  Once I'm set up, I'll put a post in the 4sale section to move them out.

Cheers

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal