Author Topic: Head to carb rubbers 16211-323-000 - aftermarket source?  (Read 2098 times)

Offline paulbaker1954

• SOHC Pro
  • I'll just be 5 minutes dear!!
    • View Profile
Head to carb rubbers 16211-323-000 - aftermarket source?
« on: July 20, 2019, 07:25:32 AM »
Anyone recommend a supplier for these please?

If you think there's light at the end of the tunnel it's usually another train !!

2016 Yamaha MT09 Tracer
1971 Honda CB500 Four K0

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Head to carb rubbers 16211-323-000 - aftermarket source?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2019, 08:50:06 AM »
I didnt think genuine were that expensive.

Offline paulbaker1954

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2019, 03:40:12 PM »

They aren't crazy money but i am a tight Yorkshireman!!!
If you think there's light at the end of the tunnel it's usually another train !!

2016 Yamaha MT09 Tracer
1971 Honda CB500 Four K0

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2019, 08:21:12 PM »

They aren't crazy money but i am a tight Yorkshireman!!!
Talking like that on Bitsa day

Sent from my X6pro using Tapatalk

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2019, 09:49:21 PM »
Don't worry Hairy. He will buy the aftermarket ones ( trying to save a few shekels ) and find out that the wall is thinner so, the oem clamps won't seal them and if they do seal they, will start to crack next month.
Bitsa will be laughing this socks off from the grave  ;D ;D

Offline paulbaker1954

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2019, 10:43:46 PM »
Don't worry Hairy. He will buy the aftermarket ones ( trying to save a few shekels ) and find out that the wall is thinner so, the oem clamps won't seal them and if they do seal they, will start to crack next month.

Ok you lot OEM ones it is then 👌👌👌 and by the way Graham I found your comment rude.

We don’t all have unlimited budgets for our bikes and plenty of aftermarket stuff is fine eg Cruzinimage. This forums is, I thought, for help and advice.

I was simply asking if anyone could recommend aftermarket ones that were ok that they had used.

The aftermarket exists for a good reason that being that OEMs make huge margins on spares in general and not all aftermarket is bad. Take Paracetamol for example, we all buy Tesco paracetamol because it’s safe and cheap and well known to be just as effective as branded products.

If they are all rubbish and folks don't recommend using them then simply state that and don’t just make snide remarks.

Rant over
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 07:15:30 AM by paulbaker1954 »

2016 Yamaha MT09 Tracer
1971 Honda CB500 Four K0

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2019, 09:05:43 AM »

Ok you lot OEM ones it is then 👌👌👌 and by the way Graham I found your comment rude.

We don’t all have unlimited budgets for our bikes and plenty of aftermarket stuff is fine eg Cruzinimage. This forums is, I thought, for help and advice.

I was simply asking if anyone could recommend aftermarket ones that were ok that they had used.

The aftermarket exists for a good reason that being that OEMs make huge margins on spares in general and not all aftermarket is bad. Take Paracetamol for example, we all buy Tesco paracetamol because it’s safe and cheap and well known to be just as effective as branded products.

If they are all rubbish and folks don't recommend using them then simply state that and don’t just make snide remarks.

Rant over

The comment was not intended to be rude or a snide remark in any way. I was just stating a fact with a twist to anyone that knew Ralf (bitsa).
Some aftermarket parts are fine, Cruzinimage  rubbers parts are shite and I only buy there pistons and ring kits but, I do check the piston weight and size before I will use them.
The problem with rubber parts is everyone is on the bandwagon reproducing them but, without the quality of the OEM rubber. A lot of the inlet rubbers were copied from a OEM rubber one but, they made a mould without taking in to consideration that a mould reduces the size and therefore the oem clamps don't clamp tight enough.
Honda did this with the 750 inlet manifolds when they superseded them and then just supersede the clamps so, the original clamps no longer worked. Was this a mistake or a ploy to make more money  :o

I would never buy Tesco paracetamol or any other brand as I am allergic to paracetamol  ;)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 09:12:10 AM by Trigger »

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2019, 09:27:57 AM »
I had an OEM 1970 CB750K0 rubber analysed at the local university about ten years ogo. It turns out that they were (are) made of nitrile rubber but compounded to have  modified properties, particularly to resist swelling in fuel at extended temperatures. I requested a pattern one from DS to do the same test / or to obtain a data sheet on the type of rubber used but was told that the info was the property of the sub-contractor so that was the end of that.

From one Yorkshireman to another (I thought you were Lancastrian TBH :D)... If you want to send me your old hard rubbers I can soften them Paul and 500/550 ones are a lot easier than 750 ones ...as long as they are not age cracked or badly distorted. I have done quite a few for one of the commenters on this post  ;) ;) ;)  )
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 09:30:28 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline paulbaker1954

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2019, 10:44:14 AM »
I had an OEM 1970 CB750K0 rubber analysed at the local university about ten years ogo. It turns out that they were (are) made of nitrile rubber but compounded to have  modified properties, particularly to resist swelling in fuel at extended temperatures. I requested a pattern one from DS to do the same test / or to obtain a data sheet on the type of rubber used but was told that the info was the property of the sub-contractor so that was the end of that.

From one Yorkshireman to another (I thought you were Lancastrian TBH :D)... If you want to send me your old hard rubbers I can soften them Paul and 500/550 ones are a lot easier than 750 ones ...as long as they are not age cracked or badly distorted. I have done quite a few for one of the commenters on this post  ;) ;) ;)  )

Thanks Ash for that kind offer, let me get the old ones off and see what they are like.

It would be really helpful to have your expert eye over them as well to see if they do really need replacing. I think i may have an air leak but not sure

2016 Yamaha MT09 Tracer
1971 Honda CB500 Four K0

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2019, 11:17:38 PM »
This is an inlet rubber that has been softened to about th original compliance/elasticity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1kVSlLnR8k
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline paulbaker1954

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2019, 01:01:00 PM »
This is an inlet rubber that has been softened to about th original compliance/elasticity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1kVSlLnR8k

Sent mine off to you today

2016 Yamaha MT09 Tracer
1971 Honda CB500 Four K0

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2019, 09:53:59 AM »
Received your inlet rubbers Paul.  They look absolutely fine to me .. possibly a little too soft if anything  ... are they the originals or if not OEM or aftermarket?

If they are off your K0 that was a USA import I can't believe they are the originals.

Offline paulbaker1954

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2019, 02:40:52 PM »
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Received your inlet rubbers Paul.  They look absolutely fine to me .. possibly a little too soft if anything  ... are they the originals or if not OEM or aftermarket?

If they are off your K0 that was a USA import I can't believe they are the originals.

They were the ones that came off the bike as imported so I have no idea if they were originals but going from the condition of the rest of the bike when I bought it I would bet  they are the originals.

I bought the bike just because it was in such good condition with near perfect chrome all round (Seized engine another story !!!) odo showed only 13K miles and once I got the motor apart it  looked like a very low mileage unit.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 03:22:20 PM by paulbaker1954 »

2016 Yamaha MT09 Tracer
1971 Honda CB500 Four K0

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2019, 12:15:29 AM »
They msy have been replaced in the States then Paul as they are in the best condition I have ever seen for used ones  ..  I suppose 13k miles is pretty low though...so may have just had an easy life ..I will post back to you. Are the clamps in good condition and the correct type? Have you checked for inlet leaks by spraying easy start near the joints and checking for revs increase?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 12:19:54 AM by AshimotoK0 »

Offline paulbaker1954

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2019, 06:47:24 AM »
They msy have been replaced in the States then Paul as they are in the best condition I have ever seen for used ones  ..  I suppose 13k miles is pretty low though...so may have just had an easy life ..I will post back to you. Are the clamps in good condition and the correct type? Have you checked for inlet leaks by spraying easy start near the joints and checking for revs increase?

Thanks for giving them the once over, I now have new clamps and I did squirt carb cleaner around to check for leaks and no sign.

I think my problems must be elsewhere so am going to systematically check carbs over (idle circuits especiallyas the problem is stuttering off the line and misfiring at low revs), ignition I know is ok as new full Boyer kit with coils, valve timing etc

Thanks again

2016 Yamaha MT09 Tracer
1971 Honda CB500 Four K0

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal