Author Topic: rear sprocket  (Read 1818 times)

Offline rosco

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Re: rear sprocket
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2019, 10:39:51 AM »
Just had a look at DSS and they list two types  The type i have (chrome end for tommy bar ) is for the  F & F1  The long bolt type Julie has is the correct type / style for the F2 Although the parts manual lists this as fitting F & F2 So i guess they are interchangeable as the bearings are the same for both   Ross

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2019, 10:51:01 AM »
Just had a look at DSS and they list two types  The type i have (chrome end for tommy bar ) is for the  F & F1  The long bolt type Julie has is the correct type / style for the F2 Although the parts manual lists this as fitting F & F2 So i guess they are interchangeable as the bearings are the same for both   Ross
I wonder if  both types are the same length overall Ross? Would be interesting to know just out of curiosity really. But, as you say, they both fit and do the job and that's all that matters.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline rosco

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2019, 11:20:41 AM »
Picking my words carefully  My rear wheel spindle measures from under the head a tad over 10.1/2 inches Approx Just under 27cm

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2019, 12:03:52 PM »
If you look in the Honda manual it shows the nut on the sprocket side . If the swing arm has open fork ends then it makes no difference which way the spindle is in as it doesn't have to be removed to take the rear wheel out.

Mooney is quite right. I'm sure the Clymer manual clearly says that on the 400f you remove and replace the whole rear wheel assembly without needing to remove the spindle and adjusters.
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline rosco

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2019, 01:25:17 PM »
Absolutely right TSD   But the original question was which side the nut should be Sprocket or Brake And assuming theres room it won't matter which way its fitted The spindle type i have is with chrome end with use of tommy bar and wrong for the F2( although fits ) The F2 should be a long bolt type and seems Nut  side to sprocket There is confusion within the parts book showing nut to sprocket and  service manual showing nut to brake?? As i  have no idea what the previous owner has done Just asking for clarification of nut position

Offline TrickyMicky

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2019, 01:28:15 PM »
Yet another caffeine intake has spiked the memory bank again, and guess what?  Quite a few years ago I purchased a pair of replacement shox purported to be just like the "Real Thing". Yeh they looked fairly similar, so off came the rusty OE ones, (which still worked ok). had to change all the fixing eye rubbers etc., and on they went, nearly! Had I measured them? Nah! They were fractionally longer which meant the wheel spindle fouled the silencer. Solution - elongate the fixing hole for silencer and slide it out a fraction. Solved - Nah! They were that long that when bike was on centre stand the rear wheel was nearly touching the floor still and when putting the stand up it missed the rubber foot and fouled the chain, Oh blow! Adjust rubber foot slightly, take bike off stand, sit on saddle and could barely reach the floor!! Bugger this, purchased the ones seen in pics, perfect copy and size, move silencer back just enough for centre stand to connect with rubber stop. THAT'S the reason I can fit spindle with nut on brake side! All that needs checking now is the nut un the saddle. Regards, Michael.

Offline Nurse Julie

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2019, 04:08:26 PM »
Picking my words carefully  My rear wheel spindle measures from under the head a tad over 10.1/2 inches Approx Just under 27cm
My type measures about the same Ross. Got the measurement as close as I could but, difficult as its.fitted to the bike and i dont fancy taking it out today 😊😊😊
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2019, 04:21:46 PM »
Absolutely right TSD   But the original question was which side the nut should be Sprocket or Brake And assuming theres room it won't matter which way its fitted The spindle type i have is with chrome end with use of tommy bar and wrong for the F2( although fits ) The F2 should be a long bolt type and seems Nut  side to sprocket There is confusion within the parts book showing nut to sprocket and  service manual showing nut to brake?? As i  have no idea what the previous owner has done Just asking for clarification of nut position

The Honda service manual shows the nut sprocket side. 3 pages on which side to put a nut. Gotta smile. G ;Dood to tell its raining.  By the way my 350 spindle has tommy bar end and I have the nut on the brake side because I am a rebel. ;D

Offline Nurse Julie

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2019, 04:27:17 PM »

The Honda service manual shows the nut sprocket side. 3 pages on which side to put a nut. Gotta smile. G ;Dood to tell its raining.  By the way my 350 spindle has tommy bar end and I have the nut on the brake side because I am a rebel. ;D
Haha Chris, very true, must be the weather. But, saying that, its always interesting listening, learning or being reminded of something, it keeps the old grey matter buzzing and saves me doing housework 😊

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal