Author Topic: Stanley Light bulb..  (Read 1005 times)

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
Stanley Light bulb..
« on: August 11, 2020, 01:52:59 AM »
Morn all,

The low beam has given up the ghost, and so I’m on the prowl for a replacement Stanley bulb... 45/50W or so from memory.

I’ve just been on eBay... but no luck, my particular bulb terminals are 3 spades... making 3 sides of a square so-to-speak. The bulb itself has a large circular flange - about 35mm dia I guess - over which a large plastic clamp screws down to capture it into the bowl.

Sorry, no pic, so you got the 1000 words. Anyways... any clue where to find one?
Ta,
Simon

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Stanley Light bulb..
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2020, 02:40:41 AM »
Try p45t bulb and tell me if thats it

Offline paul G

• SOHC Master
  • No room left in the garage what now !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2020, 07:47:11 AM »
Or a spare glow worm  ;) take the opportunity to put something better in there especially if you use it at night  ;D
Honda CB400 4
Honda CB550 K3 (sold)
Honda CB750 UK K1
Kawasaki Z650 C2
Kawasaki Z650 cafe racer (Sold)
Honda CD175 sloper

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2020, 07:56:37 AM »
I fitted a Superdream headlamp unit, it has a 55/60W Halogen H4 bulb which is a lot brighter and easy to find a replacement bulb. It's almost a straight swap apart from having to alter the bullet connectors.  You also need to uprate the main fuse to 20A, otherwise it'll blow with the headlamp on, braking and signalling at the same time, unless you use a relay.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2020, 09:31:09 AM »
You also need to uprate the main fuse to 20A, otherwise it'll blow with the headlamp on, braking and signalling at the same time, unless you use a relay.

That is excellent advice, it has just made me realise why my 15A blows every now and then, I have an H4 bulb in my 500/4.  Recently, due to a corroded reflector shell I have been running an old sealed beam car headlamp and the 15A fuse hasn't blown.  Thank you so much, dip beam has now gone on my lamp and just about to change to a Land Rover H4 headlamp so will upgrade the fuse at the same time.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2020, 09:54:01 AM »
You also need to uprate the main fuse to 20A, otherwise it'll blow with the headlamp on, braking and signalling at the same time, unless you use a relay.

That is excellent advice, it has just made me realise why my 15A blows every now and then, I have an H4 bulb in my 500/4.  Recently, due to a corroded reflector shell I have been running an old sealed beam car headlamp and the 15A fuse hasn't blown.  Thank you so much, dip beam has now gone on my lamp and just about to change to a Land Rover H4 headlamp so will upgrade the fuse at the same time.

Important distinction here, it's the loom and it's capacity relative to the item that's being supplied that causes resistance to overwhelm the fuse.

Changing the fuse won't fix it,  changing the wire or making ABSOLUTELY sure all the fitments are up to handling the load will avoid the need to change the fuse.

Lifting fuse capacity just starts to make the wire take on the role of a fuse  :D

Offline ka-ja

• ken
  • SOHC Pro
  • yoshi 460
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2020, 11:19:34 AM »
Don't forget the charging system's condition and ability to power everything that can be switched on
nice bike,nothing in the bank

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2020, 11:40:03 AM »
I run a 55/60w H4 bulb in my 400f headlight and use an led rearlight which is only about 1w draw. They work fine on the 15A fuse, no problems at all.
If you're using the original rear light you could fit an led tailight/stop bulb to reduce the power draw.
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2020, 12:16:03 PM »
You could use an adapter Simon to get an alternative into your original fit bayonet.

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/products/p45t-r2-h5-to-p43t-h4-bulb-adapter just for illustration as there seem to be many suppliers offering similar.

As far as I know p45 and h4 lamps are identical fit for loom plug, so no mods needed to try h4 apart from the adapting ring.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2020, 12:27:18 PM »
Or straight to led,  if they would fit in the headlight shell.

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/products/latest-led-headlights-p45t

They can be either "traditional" light temp,  so making a reasonable match to halogen lamps at 3 / 4000 kelvin.  Or 6000k if you don't object to the much more blue light output on a classic bike.

These look more competent than some of the type floating around the internet.

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2020, 12:40:05 PM »
Hi all,

Many thanks for the numerous posts - given that I only ride on sunny days I’m not keen to load the electrics / complicate the wiring with relays / make the bike non-standard etc.

Nige - appreciate your hunting out an adaptor for me, and may well go that route...
(EDIT... Our postings just crossed ... thanks for the LED info)

In the meantime, Bryan’s encyclopaedic knowledge of bulb configurations has left me wowed, and given me a new Search criteria.
What it comes up with is very promising; in the morn I’ll check dimensions, and if the following bulb will fit within the Stanley Lens will take a punt on this... the 10W rating would be a kindness to the bike, and voltage tolerance a boon to the OEM ‘anywhere between 12 & 15v regulator’! (which surely can’t help bulb longevity)

The postage is from China... I’ll report back in a couple of months if a success.

Thanks again all...
Simon

Offline Colonial-Clive (yindi)

• Colonial_clive
  • SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2020, 03:37:56 PM »
Hi, I’ve just visited flee bay and put in ( 3000k Warm White LED Headlight H4 Motorcycle Hi/Lo Beam Conversion 9-32V) and it came up with multiple options in LED format with prices as low as 3.99.

Offline paul G

• SOHC Master
  • No room left in the garage what now !
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2020, 04:19:15 PM »
Hi, I’ve just visited flee bay and put in ( 3000k Warm White LED Headlight H4 Motorcycle Hi/Lo Beam Conversion 9-32V) and it came up with multiple options in LED format with prices as low as 3.99.
Don't buy a cheap one you will regret it. ;)
How do I know we design and manufacture LED lighting.
And before anyone asks NO not automotive  :D
Honda CB400 4
Honda CB550 K3 (sold)
Honda CB750 UK K1
Kawasaki Z650 C2
Kawasaki Z650 cafe racer (Sold)
Honda CD175 sloper

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2020, 04:44:58 PM »
That knowledge is because there were only 2 fitments, and by thw way it was never standard on a Honda, somebody fitted an aftermarket reflector

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2020, 10:21:35 PM »
Regardless Bryan, I’m still wowed... esp as I have trouble recalling what I ate for lunch yesterday 😂.

My 400F2 is not of European vintage - I think the Stanley reflector is standard as this is what the Honda parts manual throws up (ie mine).

K2-K6; I was swaying towards your quality LED suggestion, but am put off by their sheer size due heat sink on the back, and caution to keep this clear of existing wiring (impossible in the ‘400 headlamp shell!). Pity, coz I’d much prefer a ‘warm white’, and generally go for quality wherever possible. Thanks regardless.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal